+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I think the bill will be passed before Canada Day, most probably. Liberals will try to make it historic 'citizenship bill' by passing it before Canada 150. This is my personal opinion/analysis.
There is no doubt they will try, but it doesn't mean it will actually happen. Many people 'try' to win lottery every week and only a few would actually win.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
It is funny to watch how MP s and senators are discussing in length the parts of the bill which affect small percentage of citizenship applicants (terrorists, part of the older population, orphans, cheaters).

But I do not remember that anyone, nor position, nor opposition members, ever touched/attacked the part that affects all applicants - the 3/5 rule and pre PR credit.

Well, I think it is called democracy.

And also I think that the bill will get the assent before the Canada day only if there is a behind-the-scene deal between liberals and conservatives. Otherwise the conservatives in the senate will do everything to further delay it.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
There'll be nothing interesting to watch today, just so you know. The speaker will read the text of the amendment, then they will go through all the names and call each MP name by name. In the end the vote will be about 200 in favour, 100 against. Maybe even better because the conservatives support one of the amendments.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
It is funny to watch how MP s and senators are discussing in length the parts of the bill which affects small percentage of citizenship applicants (terrorists, part of the older population, orphans, cheaters).

But I do not remember that anyone, nor position, nor opposition members, ever touched/attacked the part that affects all applicants - the 3/5 rule and pre PR credit.

Well, I think it is called democracy.

And also I think that the bill will get the assent before the Canada day only if there is a behind-the-scene deal between liberals and conservatives. Otherwise the conservatives in the senate will do everything to further delay it.
It is called democracy and the rules of the house. According to the standing rules, you are only allowed to debate the parts that are being amended, not the bill as a whole or unamended provisions. This bill already went through all the stages in the house, they didn't reopen the whole debate (thankfully they didn't) because, again, they weren't even allowed to. This rule is hard to be enforced (that's why that one conservative MP rambled on for a whole 2.5 hours about whatever), but the majority honours that rule: The debate must only be about the amendments.

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
We are forgetting an important fact here ...
It's almost summer vacation for them.
There are not enough days to include a new bill to be discussed before July.

I love canada 99

Nov 17, 2016
Hi Guys,

If the bill will pass in this form, does that mean all minors will be able to apply for citizenship alone? Like in the case of a family of two parents and one child, does that mean the child can apply for the citizenship before his parents as the conditions of physical presence is not mandatory for the minors?

Your response is very appreciated

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
How long does it usually take to Royal Assent after passing Senate? I noticed that C-4 and C-18 have been in the queue waiting for Royal Assent for almost a week.
Another question is that, say a bill passes Senate at the last seating day, can Royal Assent be obtained during the summer vacation?

I feel optimistic that C-6 will pass Senate before the summer, but pessimistic that there may not be enough time receiving Royal Assent.

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Hi Guys,

If the bill will pass in this form, does that mean all minors will be able to apply for citizenship alone? Like in the case of a family of two parents and one child, does that mean the child can apply for the citizenship before his parents as the conditions of physical presence is not mandatory for the minors?

Your response is very appreciated
Residency requirements still apply for minors, it only makes them able to apply in the case their parents wouldn't have language requirements or would fail the citizenship test for example. They still have to satisfy to the criterias themselves

I love canada 99

Nov 17, 2016
Residency requirements still apply for minors, it only makes them able to apply in the case their parents wouldn't have language requirements or would fail the citizenship test for example. They still have to satisfy to the criterias themselves
Thanks for your reply, but I think the physical presence period does not apply for minor (correct me if I am wrong), I read on the immigration site:

Time you have lived in Canada

You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least:

• 1,460 days during the six years right before the date you sign your application
  • 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years right before the date you apply
When calculating how long you have lived in Canada, you can only count time spent after you became a permanent resident.

These requirements don’t apply to children under 18.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Thanks for your reply, but I think the physical presence period does not apply for minor (correct me if I am wrong), I read on the immigration site:

You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least:

• 1,460 days during the six years right before the date you sign your application
  • 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years right before the date you apply
When calculating how long you have lived in Canada, you can only count time spent after you became a permanent resident.

This is under the current rule when minors can only apply with their qualifying adult parents.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

First of all, it makes zero sense to look at the CIC website to understand the new rules that C-6 will implement. The whole point of C-6 is to change the rules explained on the CIC website.

Secondly, this is how it goes in the future:
- Either a minor applies with their parents/the minors parents are already citizens. In that case, the residency requirement does not apply. This is the current procedure.
- Or a minor applies independently like any other person. In that case, the minor has to fulfill all requirements, including the physical presence requirement. This is the new procedure the bill is introducing.

Of course you can't just cherrypick the best of both worlds and apply without your parents but still don't need to fulfil the residency requirement. That would mean every minor refugee could just apply tomorrow.

Source: I read through the test of bill C-6, the amendment and the current act from beginning to end. But to go through all the paragraphs here would take me hours.