Bill C-6: Senate stage

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
How can people like this get into the parliament?
You know the sad thing is that through a mere coincidence (friend of a friend situation) I know the daughter of the Liberal Candidate that lost to him. He is the only Conservative MP of the GTA. That makes it even harder to endure this.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
It appears motion is rejected (More Nay than Yea). Standing vote tomorrow.
No, it's just that if in doubt the speaker always has to decide in favour of the status quo. So in this case, since the vote was unclear, she had to say "I think the nays have it" which then forces the Liberal MPs to ask for a standing vote.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

energym

Aug 18, 2014
No, it's just that if in doubt the speaker always has to decide in favour of the status quo. So in this case, since the vote was unclear, she had to say "I think the nays have it" which then forces the Liberal MPs to ask for a standing vote.
*Unrelated to c6*
Something like this is usual? Can a bill pass just because most MPs of a party are absent?

abhinavsharma

Star Member
Jun 11, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
06-06-2017
So, what is your gut feeling, sir, if the standing vote were to occur? I know you earlier said it's possible but "doesn't mean probable", but I was wondering if your feeling has changed since this discussion just concluded?? Just curious.

Thank you :)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
So, what is your gut feeling, sir, if the standing vote were to occur? I know you earlier said it's possible but "doesn't mean probable", but I was wondering if your feeling has changed since this discussion just concluded?? Just curious.

Thank you :)
The possible/probable thing was only about WHEN the vote will happen. That has been fixed minutes ago, it will be tomorrow afternoon.

It was never in question and still isn't: This motion will pass, of course. It is a government motion. And the government majority will vote whatever the Minister told them to. On top of that, the NDP also supports it. The vote will be around 200 versus 100 votes in favour. You can bet on that.