+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

robw

Mar 10, 2014
I hate to be saying this folks, but I think this sucker's dead in the water and It's time to move on.

A lot of us have invested too much time in this but it's time to point out the obvious...this law will almost certainly not pass before recess and it will probably go dormant when parliament reconvenes in September.

It's not the end of the world, but suffice it to say that, of the few rights and privileges I will gain once I get my citizenship, voting won't be one that I will exercise.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
Last govt introduced C-24 which made CIC introduce a lot of changes in it's procedures and processes. Now with just first govt change to Liberals, there is a new law C-6 waiting to be finalized. Again this will bring many changes to IRCC ( successor of CIC ) processes and procedures.
What if next election , another party wins the polls and decides to again change the laws for citizenship ? Hence I think that this govt is working on getting all parties on board and pass a bill which will stand for the next 10 years. There must surely be a lot going on behind the scenes.
A bill passed with consensus of all parties, also gives IRCC and related agencies a clear sense of direction.
For those waiting, it is frustrating. But I much rather have the rules fixed which will not be changed with every change of govt. Yes, some tweaks here and there with changing situations but not revamped regulations each time.
That is how taxpayers money gets spend, and government jobs get created. You need constantly changing everything in order not to change anything.

Last edited:

alternatehero

Jul 1, 2015
Thank you, for that explanation and info. No doubt there are many wranglings going on behind doors, but I personaly think that this is unfair by the LIBS to carry on this drama for 17 months now knowing that more than 1000 of us are waiting for this bill. After all this was one of the first bills they presented.
The bill isn't about us though. It is about the citizenship act for the foreseeable future. They won't rush it because some people are waiting for 3/5 today

alternatehero

Jul 1, 2015
I hate to be saying this folks, but I think this sucker's dead in the water and It's time to move on.

A lot of us have invested too much time in this but it's time to point out the obvious...this law will almost certainly not pass before recess and it will probably go dormant when parliament reconvenes in September.

It's not the end of the world, but suffice it to say that, of the few rights and privileges I will gain once I get my citizenship, voting won't be one that I will exercise.
What are you talking about? There is a high chance this bill will pass before Canada Day. Also, if it didn't it would pass in the fall. Don't forget that this bill was a signature promise, and has ALREADY PASSED in both chambers and is just about amendments. How many bills do you think die after passing both chambers? It's not a lot at all

Look at this https://openparliament.ca/bills/

I count at least 10 bills that have been in second reading in commons since late last year, so delays are normal. The fact that C-6 is even being mentioned in the HOC means it is on their mind. Chagger has spoken about having it on the agenda, so IT IS a bit of a priority.

egghead

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
So, how did the discussions in Parliament about C-6 go last night, oh wait......you mean they didn't discuss it? Wow, who saw that coming? Well, what is the hurry anyway? Countdown to Fall session!

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
What are you talking about? There is a high chance this bill will pass before Canada Day. Also, if it didn't it would pass in the fall. Don't forget that this bill was a signature promise, and has ALREADY PASSED in both chambers and is just about amendments. How many bills do you think die after passing both chambers? It's not a lot at all

I count at least 10 bills that have been in second reading in commons since late last year, so delays are normal. The fact that C-6 is even being mentioned in the HOC means it is on their mind. Chagger has spoken about having it on the agenda, so IT IS a bit of a priority.
Do you know how many times people say the bill is dead on this forum? Countless times. Then the bill move forward, people get excited and repeat the cycle. ;)

From what I have seen (in both Canada and the US), conservatives are more efficient at passing (certain) bills. Liberals are more bureaucratic in their approach.

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
received on : 10TH NOV, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015

no point trying to explain.. people are very emotional here.. circumstances are unique for everybody, so i dont want to be judgmental, but going by the general trend of comments, patience here runs really thin... of course a few a people have still kept their heads, but they are in the minority...

robw

Mar 10, 2014
no point trying to explain.. people are very emotional here.. circumstances are unique for everybody, so i dont want to be judgmental, but going by the general trend of comments, patience here runs really thin... of course a few a people have still kept their heads, but they are in the minority...
I'm not being emotional, nor am I being impatient. This is the first time I comment on C6 in weeks. For that matter, I don't care if it passes or not anymore; enough time has passed that I'm within one year of applying so it likely won't affect me.

Fact of the matter is: there are many other pressing bills on the docket, at least one amendment will very likely be rejected by the HoC, the senate has only 6 sitting days remaining before the HoC goes on recess (actually, call it 5 since the bill needs to be knocked back to the house at the end), there have been many promises and tweets about C6 being discussed which haven't come to fruition, and "campaign promises" don't mean jack **** to politicians. Seriously, you guys are arguing that this law MUST pass because politicians said so...do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Come on, get real.

It's ironic that I'm the one being screaming at for supposedly being misinformed and emotional after calmly stating my opinion that this law looks certain to not pass before July 1st and likely to go dormant after parliament is back in session. Seems to me that you're the ones being unreasonable about all this.

In any case, the house will be in recess in just 2 weeks. We will find out soon enough whose guess is correct on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: oomuchi

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
how on earth can anyone of us claim to make any useful prediction about this bill based on their own feelings / assessment of the situation? No one here (myself included) is qualified to do this.

People are guessing whatever and if it comes the way that person guessed, that thing called "retrospective determinism" kicks in and that one person is going to say "see I told you so" although it happened to be that out of the 100 predictions being made in this thread theirs was the one that coincidentally got closest to the facts in retrospect.

If you claim to know that
- the bill will pass by the end of June
- the bill won't pass by the end of June
- the bill will die in parliament
Literally no one cares what you claim because you don't know it better than any of us. Just spare us your random guessing.

Last edited:

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Literally no one cares what you claim because you don't know it better than any of us. Just spare us your random guessing.[/QUOTE]

People deal with stress differently. That's all. We could also say to you, we don't care what you think. But that would be considered rude.

Yes, the bill will pass by the end of June. LOL!

Last edited:

robw

Mar 10, 2014
how on earth can anyone of us claim to make any useful prediction about this bill based on their own feelings / assessment of the situation? No one here (myself included) is qualified to do this.

People are guessing whatever and if it comes the way that person guessed, that thing called "retrospective determinism" kicks in and that one person is going to say "see I told you so" although it happened to be that out of the 100 predictions being made in this thread theirs was the one that coincidentally got closest to the facts in retrospect.

If you claim to know that
- the bill will pass by the end of June
- the bill won't pass by the end of June
- the bill will die in parliament
Literally no one cares what you claim because you don't know it better than any of us. Just spare us your random guessing.
I didn't make any of those 100 predictions, stop pinning other people's nonsense to me.

Your attitude as to the timeline of this bill has been nothing but bizarre. What you're saying is akin to looking at a cloudy sky and screaming "no one knows for sure if it's going to rain!! Only a fool could say that for sure!"

Yes, of course no one knows for sure if this bill will pass, and I never claimed that it won't with complete certainty. I simply referred to the fact they only two weeks remain (of which the senate sits only six days) during this session, that there are MANY bills on the docket, that C6 face what resistance in the senate, and therefore, it is unlikely that it will pass with the short time that is left. I am entitled to having that opinion and I am freely expressing it.

You will probably still be telling people on the 23rd that "nobody can be sure if this bill will pass!", calling everyone who suggests that not enough time exists a fool who doesn't understand Ottawa politics.

Fair enough...that's you're attitude, that's fine. I never attacked you for it and I ask that you reciprocate and respect mine. Instead, you're just acting like a bigot, coddling those who are holding out hope and scolding those who DARE to express an opinion that might cast some doubt on this law passing.

Last edited:

JasFer

Mar 6, 2017
I didn't make any of those 100 predictions, stop pinning other people's nonsense to me.

Your attitude as to the timeline of this bill has been nothing but bizarre. What you're saying is akin to looking at a cloudy sky and screaming "no one knows for sure if it's going to rain!! Only a fool could say that for sure!"

Yes, of course no one knows for sure if this bill will pass, and I never claimed that it won't with complete certainty. I simply referred to the fact they only two weeks remain (of which the senate sits only six days) during this session, that there are MANY bills on the docket, that C6 face what resistance in the senate, and therefore, it is unlikely that it will pass with the short time that is left. I am entitled to having that opinion and I am freely expressing it.

You will probably still be telling people on the 23rd that "nobody can be sure if this bill will pass!", calling everyone who suggests that not enough time exists a fool who doesn't understand Ottawa politics.

Fair enough...that's you're attitude, that's fine. I never attacked you for it and I ask that you reciprocate and respect mine. Instead, you're just acting like a bigot, coddling those who are holding out hope and scolding those who DARE to express an opinion that might cast some doubt on this law passing.
I just took a look at the Calendar of the Senate... It seems like they are sitting on the 13,14,15,20,21,22,27,28,29 and 30th of June. We can only hope for the best, at this stage.

Reactions: lilen

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016

i agree. people here have no agenda but free speech as long as not against law. we all should respect rather than criticize other's opinions.

Reactions: Joshua1

pkin007

Star Member
May 26, 2017
So was going through the POB for next week and of course C6 is not on it..and was wondering what's the whole point of POB if things can change at the drop of a hat w.r.t what is discussed in parliament..i mean why the whole charade..chagger said Bill C6 will be discussed say next week so shouldn't it be found on the POB..whats the whole point of it then..fail to get..can someone who has studied the Canadian parliamentary rules explain it's significance..

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
.....was wondering what's the whole point of POB if things can change at the drop of a hat ........whats the whole point of it then..fail to get...
Sums up Canada - doesn't it!

There is no logic or reason to things here.

Best to keep one's own counsel; maintain a healthy balance to one's mind and body; and, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Have a good weekend!