spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
RICO11 said:
- can you please let me know if the amendments made by the senate that allow minors to apply alone will change the residency requirements for children under 18 that applied in the current law.
- I'm eligible to apply for the citizenship this august based on the current law C-24 but my kids just arrived to Canada in January 2016. will I be able include them in my application in august if the C-6 APPLIED before this august.

thank you for your kinds advice
No matter if the amendment passes or not: If your kids are included in your application for citizenship, they do not have to fulfil the residency requirement. They have to be PRs. But it would be enough if they became PRs literally the day before the citizenship application. This rule has been like that under the old rules, under the C-24 rule and will still be the case under the C-6 rules: If the child's parents are applying at the same time or if the child's parent already are citizens, they do NOT have to fulfil the residency requirement. They only need to be PRs.

The rule about the amendment regarding minors is: If you are a parent asking about your kids, ignore the amendment. It doesn't apply to your situation. The amendment is only relevant for children whose parents aren't with them, e.g. refugees.

Confused in Montreal

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
CANADIANZ said:
Bill C-6 is no where in the projected order of Business on HoC website at-least till May 12th.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=projected&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1

Seems like its another long delay... Its a key bill as promised in elections, do not understand why Liberals do not prioritize it..

In case of C-24 it got royal accent the same day it passed from Senate.
Easy tiger. The office gotta draft a response rejecting/accepting the amends. They just can't say in HOC that we reject as it's against our manifesto. Waited so long, so hold on for a bit more.

Confused in Montreal

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
spyfy said:
Chillllll, people :)

I have the feeling some people expected it to go like this:

"The senate passes the bill. The Speaker shouts "Splendid! Send a messenger to the West Wing informing the Commons about this historic passage!" A messenger runs through the hall,
Change your username to Jokify, you cracked me up. Hope people on this forum understand that the Earth doesn't revolve around what they want.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
it makes sense that the bill can be expected to be implemented in 1 year time from royal ascend. the calculator and form need to be updated and staff need to be trained, expect waiting time to increase to pre C24 which is 2-4 years

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
deerestlovelybear said:
it makes sense that the bill can be expected to be implemented in 1 year time from royal ascend. the calculator and form need to be updated and staff need to be trained, expect waiting time to increase to pre C24 which is 2-4 years
Where did you find these stats?

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Joshua1 said:
Where did you find these stats?
His hat. People don't understand that C-24 changed the whole process of granting citizenship, it's not just because of the 4/6 that delays dropped to about 6 months, it's because the process has been significantly streamlined. Also CIC will not wait a year to apply C-6 especially after all the delays the Bill has faced in Senate.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Redfield said:
His hat. People don't understand that C-24 changed the whole process of granting citizenship, it's not just because of the 4/6 that delays dropped to about 6 months, it's because the process has been significantly streamlined. Also CIC will not wait a year to apply C-24 especially after all the delays the Bill has faced in Senate.
When people don't know how to deal with the stress of waiting and are anxious about things they have no control over, the tend to make fatalistic hyperbole or optimistic exaggeration.

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
I wish those who "know" the minister to "remind" him that it's time for his administration to draft the new forms and website! I can apply today! based on 3/4 and pre-PR calculations. In Canada administrators are verrrrryyy slllllllllow

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
RanRan said:
I wish those who "know" the minister to "remind" him that it's time for his administration to draft the new forms and website! I can apply today! based on 3/4 and pre-PR calculations. In Canada administrators are verrrrryyy slllllllllow
you are in supper hurry, just wait.................. Bill C-6 is not law yet, so why will "Administrators" update forms..........?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
RanRan said:
Who will actually do the drafting of new forms and website information? Who will actually write the software for the new presence calculator?

Should the Minister seek volunteers?

Unless and until Bill C-6 actually becomes law, there is NO legal authority to spend government money to implement those changes.

Parliament has a budget for some administrative tasks related to proposed legislation. Maintaining the Parliament of Canada facilities and website and so on; printing proposed legislation and so on; clerical tasks related to handling the legislation; funds for committee consultations; and so on.

But not for actually implementing what is not yet law.

The government can include items in the budget (which must be adopted by a vote of course) which will pay for things in anticipation of prospective changes in law, but that is not how it usually works. To the extent that is done, such expenditures are usually very limited and for very specific purposes (pilot projects, studies, and such).

Sure, there are many countries in the world where the leadership decides what the law will be and will spend the money toward that end, and the formalities of adopting the changes into law can come later. Much more efficient. Like giving the police authority to lock up identified criminals -- giving criminals a right to a trial is so inefficient and expensive and slow.

Democracy tends to be messy and slow. That's because there are so many people who have a say. As in every citizen has a say (through the appropriate process, of course, and that too tends to be cumbersome and slow).

No need to worry much about such inefficiency, however, the direction of history in the 21st Century appears to be well on its way toward a world dominated more and more by, well, one might say, more efficient methods of governing.

Democracy had its chance. Maybe in another millennium or two it will get another.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
Does anyone remember how long it took for the 4/6 rule to be implemented after C-24 received royal assent? Was there a period when CIC wasn't receiving applications at all while they were updating their forms and physical presence calculator?

To be honest, I landed just before the previous rule change and only started looking into this stuff again a few days ago (4th anniversary of my landing date). Super annoying. I'm sure this is not a popular opinion...but what the ever loving f * * k. I don't care what party is in power, I wish they'd just stop messing with the rule. (4/6 is hardly draconian -- it's similar to the US rule for naturalization.) It looks like they just recently got the application processing time down to something reasonable...now they're just going to blow it to hell again. 2+ years processing times suck. I've been stuck in 2+ years processing times before (different matter)...and they lost of my application, but I had no way of finding out until after 2 years was up. Hopefully the House of Commons dawdles for a few months, and I can squeak in under 4/6 before the massive pile of applications under 3/5 redux hits Sydney. Sigh.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
margobear96 said:
Does anyone remember how long it took for the 4/6 rule to be implemented after C-24 received royal assent? Was there a period when CIC wasn't receiving applications at all while they were updating their forms and physical presence calculator?
According to parl.gc.ca, C-24 passed final vote in Senate on 2014-06-19, Assented on 2014-06-19 (REALLY? Same day?)

I recall at the time from reading the forums here that people were rushing to submit citizenship applications before it took effect on 2015-07-19 to avoid losing sooner eligibility to meet the 3/5 residency requirement.

I also recall that links to the old cic residency calculator wasn't removed from their web site until a few months after the law took effect with a new calculator added shortly thereafter.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
hfinkel said:
According to parl.gc.ca, C-24 passed final vote in Senate on 2014-06-19, Assented on 2014-06-19 (REALLY? Same day?)

I recall at the time from reading the forums here that people were rushing to submit citizenship applications before it took effect on 2015-07-19 to avoid losing sooner eligibility to meet the 3/5 residency requirement.

I also recall that links to the old cic residency calculator wasn't removed from their web site until a few months after the law took effect with a new calculator added shortly thereafter.
Thanks! So last time, a month to take effect after assent and no down time.

mindHacker

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello canadian prisoners ! (LoL)

I am not familiar with canadian politics.
Is there a real chance of being it a law ? Or is it just another political crap which in this case would be dead on arrival.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
margobear96 said:
Thanks! So last time, a month to take effect after assent and no down time.
Look again at the years: It took a year for the C-24 rules to be implemented.

Also there will be no down time. The bill doesn't allow that. Until the C-6 rules come into force, people can still apply under the old 4/6 rule.