+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
monalisa said:
linda yesterday mentioned that in usa 5 years , immigrant must spend 30 months only full and next 30 months must not exit usa more that 6 months something like that , much easier

she compared canada the north pole -42 to france to swiss to uk

If immigrants had chance to immigrate legally to these countries, they will not come to canada :p

If canada stop the welfare , family aid , every one will leave even born in canada

Wake up linda
She is just scoring political points.. baseless comparison. These countries have different laws and she is presenting alternative face..

A PR in UK a.k.a ‘indefinite leave to remain’ can apply for British Citizenship after 12 months NOT 5 years.

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadasucks said:
She's absolutely right. I immigrated to UK and was very satisfied about the whole experience. Then I came to Canada, huge mistake and regretted. That's why I'm leaving. It's a very costly life lesson for me.
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...

disha_kaur

Aug 11, 2016
Can someone please explain again what is this new 183 day amend?

Basically if this is passed then what would be the qualification criteria for citizenship?

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CANADIANZ said:
She is just scoring political points.. baseless comparison. These countries have different laws and she is presenting alternative face..

A PR in UK a.k.a ‘indefinite leave to remain’ can apply for British Citizenship after 12 months NOT 5 years.
This page (https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply) disagrees with you:

"lived in the UK for at least the 5 years before the date of your application"

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vasyok said:
This page (https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply) disagrees with you:

Bear in mind, when UK says 5 years, you are allowed to absent 450 days within that 5 years. So actual physical residency requirement is actually 3.75/5, even less than 4/6. Actually all other countries such as US, AU, NZ and all EU countries use the same method. Canadian method is actually very misleading, give the expression that it requires less residency than other countries in order to compete for immigrants but actually it's not true.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
vasyok said:

I said 12 months after Indefinite leave to remain.

True spent total of 5 years. But just 12 months after PR = indefinite leave to remain (ILR)

Read this line from the page:
had settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK for the last 12 months.

Keep in mind that a lot of people specially students, foreign workers, conventional refugees spend average of 5 years in Canada as lawful residents BEFORE getting PR status...

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
naturalca said:
Three years would be enough if 182.5 can be rounded up as the way before C-24.
Only if you stayed in Canada for 365 days. If you left Canada for even 1 day...

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
I see no reason to discuss UK's citizenship rules here. Yes, UK does ask you to be on ILR (aka PR) status for only 12 months before applying for citizenship; however, getting PR in the UK is way tougher than Canada at the moment. So there are both pros & cons. I know this from personal experience, having lived & worked in the UK for almost 4 years. The very reason that immigrants choose Canada (most of them) is because immigration policies of UK, US, Europe, etc are much tougher.

Now let's get back to the main topic of this thread: Bill C-6 in CANADIAN Senate, for CANADIAN citizenship. Peace.

MKColin

Apr 4, 2017
Who cares other countries policy? Different population, different economy facts, different politics....everything different..crazy! She should weight the situation in Canada...the population...jobs....plans...within Canada!

ameet747 said:
I see no reason to discuss UK's citizenship rules here. Yes, UK does ask you to be on ILR (aka PR) status for only 12 months before applying for citizenship; however, getting PR in the UK is way tougher than Canada at the moment. So there are both pros & cons. I know this from personal experience, having lived & worked in the UK for almost 4 years. The very reason that immigrants choose Canada (most of them) is because immigration policies of UK, US, Europe, etc are much tougher.

Now let's get back to the main topic of this thread: Bill C-6 in CANADIAN Senate, for CANADIAN citizenship. Peace.

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CANADIANZ said:
I said 12 months after Indefinite leave to remain.

True spent total of 5 years. But just 12 months after PR = indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
You got it. Using Canadian language, in UK the time lived before PR (except students) can all be counted towards citizenship.

That's why Canadian method to count residency is very misleading. Most people think Canada is the easiest country to immigrant and get citizenship. That's just Canada's propaganda to give people false impression. Actually most countries are more easier and their passports are also more valuable. For example, any EU country's citizenship give you freedom of movement to another 30 countries and opportunities among 7 billion population.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
If we agree with Sen Linda who is comparing other countries residency requirements;

In my opinion anyone who is living here and calls Canada home for 5+ years should be eligible to apply citizenship.

Why international students, foreign workers or conventional refugees suffer for years to apply for PR and then count only post-PR time?

Just an opinion.. Now back to the topic... This bill will likely take at-least an year from today to pass to chill guys.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
canadasucks said:
You got it. Using Canadian language, in UK the time lived before PR (except students) can all be counted towards citizenship.

That's why Canadian method to count residency is very misleading. Most people think Canada is the easiest country to immigrant and get citizenship. That's just Canada's propaganda to give people false impression. Actually most countries are more easier and their passports are also more valuable. For example, any EU country's citizenship give you freedom of movement to another 30 countries.
+1

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Other countries are being discussed as LF used them as examples to suggest the period of residency should be longer in Canada - without taking into account time prior to PR. So it's very relevant to the amendment and the justification.

Tagging JT or immigration minister won't help - they will not get involved until the bill returns to the HoC.