+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
She said on twitter she spent all night drafting her statement regarding the amendment, that's odd if she doesn't rise to talk about C-6

Inlandoct2014

Star Member
Jan 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Oct 2, 2014
File Transfer...
SA, AIP : Jan 14, 2016
Med's Request
Jan 6, 2016
Med's Done....
Jan 9, 2016
Interview........
DM: FEB 4, 2016
LANDED..........
March 16, 2016
razerblade said:
Really ? Why did she say there will be a discussion on twitter

https://twitter.com/waqaarahmad/status/851865608656498688

I'm listening on and off. I don't think they discussed C-6 yet. They're still taking about C-4 I think.
Yes, you are right, not yet !

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Redfield said:
She said on twitter she spent all night drafting her statement regarding the amendment, that's odd if she doesn't rise to talk about C-6
I believe there was some mention about some minister speaking and other things meaning they wont be sitting till the usual time.
So they might just have run out of time today.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
_MK_ said:
I believe there was some mention about some minister speaking and other things meaning they wont be sitting till the usual time.
So they might just have run out of time today.
No, they simply moved question period to a later time because the minister who was supposed to be questioned was busy.

This is what happened today so far:
1. Routine Business
2. Then Question Period would have happened which was postponed.
3. Then they debated bill C-4.
4. That debate ended because the Speaker has to decide if a new proposed amendment is out of order.
5. Now, just five minutes ago, question period has started.
6. After question period, which usually lasts for about 30 minutes but might go on longer today since a minister is present, they will get to bill C-6.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
spyfy said:
No, they simply moved question period to a later time because the minister who was supposed to be questioned was busy.

This is what happened today so far:
1. Routine Business
2. Then Question Period would have happened which was postponed.
3. Then they debated bill C-4.
4. That debate ended because the Speaker has to decide if a new proposed amendment is out of order.
5. Now, just five minutes ago, question period has started.
6. After question period, which usually lasts for about 30 minutes but might go on longer today since a minister is present, they will get to bill C-6.
Thanks for the clarification.
A lot of senate committee meetings will be happening concurrently. I hope that doesnt affect the votes if there is one today.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Now C6 started. Sen. Harder mentioned there is already a provision to waive the age requirement for children , and that Senator's Oh's amendment is not necessary. The Govt. doesn't support it. Hope the amendment is rejected

richard1234

Sep 1, 2014
razerblade said:
Now C6 started. Sen. Harder mentioned there is already a provision to waive the age requirement for children , and that Senator's Oh's amendment is not necessary. The Govt. doesn't support it. Hope the amendment is rejected
I think it is rejected.

richard1234

Sep 1, 2014
razerblade said:
They are still debating. Not rejected yet. They will vote on it after debate.

Senator Jaffer speaking now. She supports the amendment though.
I mean Sen. Oh's amendment will be rejected. For me, it's hard to understand Sen. Jaffer's inclination on Bill c-6.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
richard1234 said:
I mean Sen. Oh's amendment will be rejected. For me, it's hard to understand Sen. Jaffer's inclination on Bill c-6.
No it will not be rejected, she wants to amend his amendment ;D

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
What is the most shocking to me is that most Senators seem to have no idea of what they are talking about AND at the same time do not listen to experienced government employees.

This application for minors issue is totally debated on feelings. Harder pointed out that there already is a mechanism, Harder pointed out that IRCC thinks it works well. He even pointed out formal flaws in the amendment. Still they are considering this amendment still.

While the amendment regarding appeals process fits into the bill (because the appeals process was removed by C-24 and C-6 is a repeal bill for C-24) this bill is turning into a piece of paper every senator wants to add their pet project to it.

Then they vote on those amendments on a whim, without feedback from the government agency affected, without listening to experts as they would in committee. Just by whatever they "feel" is good.

This is not how you make politics. This is not how you make laws.

This is frustrating on a meta-level.

proudian

Mar 17, 2017
i think for most senators the reason for including amendment is that they want their name in the bill for some sort of contribution especially that language requirement for old age doing +-5