+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

tonyfreemania

Nov 17, 2016
I have to say - I am amazed at how some people are able to manufacture their own opinions into facts. We have people in here who are disillusioned to the point where they see no hope for this bill. Given how long this bill has been in the Senate - one can certainly understand this disillusionment. What boggles the mind, however, is how these same people transform their own opinions into facts. Alternative facts if you like. Such as, the bill is dead, such as, a certain insider at CIC has told me the bill is dead, etc. This behavior is utterly annoying. The reality is none of us know what the heck is going to happen. We can hope and speculate - but that's all we can do.

So people, let's all try to live our lives and wake up May 3, 2017, and find out!

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Coffee1981 said:
The bill is DOA on its return to the House. The age limit for language was the poison pill.
I think this is a good assessment. Even if the PM and the Minister are OK with the proposed amendments at a personal level, they would find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to accept amendments to the core of the proposed bill.

Accepting amendments to the core provisions of the bill would be accepting a political hit to the liberal party. They simply can't afford that as it would weaken their position considerably for the rest of their time in power.

When it comes to a choice between sensible compromise and political ideology, ideology tends to win most of the time.

That said, the incompetence displayed by Liberals has already ensured they will be hit politically when the bill goes into a long game of ping-pong between the HoC and the Senate - which it looks very likely to get into now.

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
tonyfreemania said:
I have to say - I am amazed at how some people are able to manufacture their own opinions into facts. We have people in here who are disillusioned to the point where they see no hope for this bill. Given how long this bill has been in the Senate - one can certainly understand this disillusionment. What boggles the mind, however, is how these same people transform their own opinions into facts. Alternative facts if you like. Such as, the bill is dead, such as, a certain insider at CIC has told me the bill is dead, etc. This behavior is utterly annoying. The reality is none of us know what the heck is going to happen. We can hope and speculate - but that's all we can do.

So people, let's all try to live our lives and wake up May 3, 2017, and find out!
It's not speculation. I am reporting to you a fact. Senior Management was briefed today that the bill wi not be accepted as amended. I don't know what more you want for me.

Don't believe me as you want. You'll can apologize to me in a few weeks.

MTweet12

Sep 1, 2013
@Coffee1981 can you explain why your contact at CIC said the amendments won't be accepted? You mention the age limit, but I far as I understand the age limit was increased from 55 to 60. So it became less severe for cons than it initially was in C6. All cons in HoC voted against C6 anyways. Now all liberals in HoC will vote according to party lines. So they will vote YES for the amendments. That's how I view the current amendments from a logical standpoint without any insider info. so what do you think?

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Coffee1981 said:
I'm telling you right now. Senior management at IRCC was briefed today that this bill will not be going forward as amended. It's dead on arrival as it stands. They're already making contingency plans for a new bill.
I understand that they will not pass the Bill as amended it's obvious, because the Senate is tearing the bill down piece by piece, the HoC will reject the amendments and send it back to Senate. That's where it comes back to uncharted territory, either the Senate will back off like they did with C-14 or they will confront the PM and roadbloack one of his main campain promise openly declaring war against a majority government.

Also, upper CIC management should read the rules of the Canadian Parlement cause a governement cannot pass two bills on the same subject. It's either they amend Bill C-6 or there is no bill about citizenship that can pass until next election

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
captain74 said:
Really? Could you please quote the source for this?
I've read it in a few articles, this one for example talks about that provision

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/parliamentary-democracy-clip-n-save-faq-what-happens-if-the-senate-and-the-house-cant-agree-on-a-bill
"In any case, there’s no limit on how long a “free conference” can go, but at some point, it will either lead to a resolution of some sort, either by coming up with a compromise acceptable to both chambers, or by forcing one side to drop their opposition, or it will be deemed to have failed.

Under that scenario, the bill is left to languish on the Order Paper until it dies at the end of the session, and no similar proposal can be put forward until the next parliament is convened following a general election, as the current iteration will be deemed to have rendered its decision on the matter, thus closing the matter for its duration."

RSM92

Apr 7, 2017
I can confirm that an amendment proposing to increase the residency time is expected.

From an e-mail from one of Senator Omidvar's staffers:
"You are right, we are expecting an amendment as early as next Tuesday that proposes increasing the residency time. Senator Omidvar will be opposing this amendment. I think your idea to email or call Senators to express your perspective is very wise, and indeed very helpful."

I will be emailing every senator and calling all those whom I can get a hold of. I encourage all of you to do the same. We cannot let the residency time under Bill C-6 get increased! This would serve to eviscerate the original intention of the bill as well as unnecessarily prolong most of us acquiring citizenship.

Let's do this.

mira8098

Aug 7, 2015
That's why I dont like politics in this country they are full of bulls*t at least Trump stuck by his promises this Trudeau just talk and thats all.

I still waiting...

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Redfield said:
I've read it in a few articles, this one for example talks about that provision

Under that scenario, the bill is left to languish on the Order Paper until it dies at the end of the session, and no similar proposal can be put forward until the next parliament is convened following a general election, as the current iteration will be deemed to have rendered its decision on the matter, thus closing the matter for its duration."
Thanks.

There is nothing here about the bill being withdrawn (as opposed to languishing on the order paper) and a new bill on the same matter introduced. I assume that is possible - even if it is politically a huge embarrassment for the party that needs to do this.

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mira8098 said:
That's why I dont like politics in this country they are full of bulls*t at least Trump stuck by his promises this Trudeau just talk and thats all.

I still waiting...
Comparing to other countries, it's still the best

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
B+, even if the amendments are passed from senate, HoC will not accept and senate will back off arguing that we did our part blablabla...................... this is my assumption.

The main things is passing 3rd reading in senate, hopefully next week of first week of May.

CLAUDIO73

Nov 18, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Confused in Montreal said:
Lol sweetie, it's a proposal. But if you eliminate that, what about eliminating the 10 yr. financial responsibility clause and no sponsorship for three years including parental from the time of your divorce? Please read the amendment, it says people who do not have kids etc, meaning no liability hence no financial obligation. Do you know the extent of fraud marriages in Canada? From both parties BTW! So Firstly, I have researched enough before commenting, secondly, it's not part of C6, thirdly, let the whole fine print being released, you will see.

By the looks of it, you seem to be following the spousal sponsorship and conditional PR a lot!! That's a red flag my dear Claudio. So when you point a finger at someone else, realise that three of your own are pointing towards you. It's people who misuse the PR system gets us law abiding, tax paying people become victims of laws like C24, which I think makes sense on papers only, as why should I pay for folks like you when I have myself (God's grace) not accessed the healthcare system in 9 years, though I contributed for all these years.

So please hire a shady lawyer and stop trolling here, would be my advice. And it's free!! and you are welcome!!

Did I disarm you, if I did, I am glad. Please let me know dear troll. And please look into the mechanisms a Canadian citizen or PR can access to thwart spousal frauds, which means your PR even after the conditional PR is over can be revoked!!! Surprised, please ask your lawyer.
Oh please, save your patronizing tone. Congratulations on the 9 years of good health - bitch.