+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
AliceL said:
Students pay taxes too btw. Personally, I paid taxes as a student, and a lot more as a temporary worker afterwards. And third, I mentioned a very specific class of PRs that I think deserve citizenship less than us.

I don't know what OHIP is. I live in Quebec and temporary residents do not have access to provincial healthcare. Also, we don't have access to a family doctor. Both provincial and federal banks do not give loans (for students who have very low income, low-interest loans are certainly a benefit) or credit margins to temporary residents. They also do not have access to a savings account (the one free of taxes). International students are also not allowed to apply for provincial or federal scholarships (a big disadvantage for students who want to pursue an academic career later). Should I go on? You speak of your own experience, but I'm talking about the conditions of many temporary residents. Big picture, you know.
Students do pay taxes, but they usually get most of it back as tax return because of the credit from tuition they paid - unless you work some part time job that makes big money, the taxes you paid as student usually were returned to you in the next spring

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
Why do you want to revert to the old systems when you wait years and years in line since there are too many people applying for citizenship especially students, temp workers, refugees who only needs 2 years after PR to qualify and since there was a change from C24 the build up is huge now! Bill C6 makes sense except for 3/5 and pre PR credits. Those who wants C24 are those hate Canada so much that they can't wait to leave! There is virtually no difference if you intend and love to live in Canada. What is the point of waiting 2 years more? In other countries you need to wait 10 years! Here it is already too easy

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is all getting a little out of hand.

C24 is going and it's being replaced by C6. No more changes or amendments are coming anytime soon. We are almost there so stay patient but please, don't expect any further amendments or changes - because it's not going to happen.

Imadassadi

Mar 13, 2017
It is a simple amendment, just need to replace one year pre-PR credit by 2 or 3 or all the period before and to calculate the day before as a full day. No logical in consider it half day !!!! No body is giong to fly to the moon the next 12 hours of every day unless you are not a resident of canada when you sleep.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
deerestlovelybear said:
Why do you want to revert to the old systems when you wait years and years in line since there are too many people applying for citizenship especially students, temp workers, refugees who only needs 2 years after PR to qualify and since there was a change from C24 the build up is huge now! Bill C6 makes sense except for 3/5 and pre PR credits. Those who wants C24 are those hate Canada so much that they can't wait to leave! There is virtually no difference if you intend and love to live in Canada. What is the point of waiting 2 years more? In other countries you need to wait 10 years! Here it is already too easy
you kind sir/madame only have one side of the picture.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They don't want to - otherwise they would have done it. Let's just keep it real - to avoid disappointment on all sides.

Mwpirate

Feb 19, 2017
So what's the status of the bill? I saw that there was an amendment and the bill is going to be sent back again to HOC.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
Imadassadi said:
It is a simple amendment, just need to replace one year pre-PR credit by 2 or 3 or all the period before and to calculate the day before as a full day. No logical in consider it half day !!!! No body is giong to fly to the moon the next 12 hours of every day unless you are not a resident of canada when you sleep.
And processing time will be 10 years since every tom dick and harry will be eligible. Canada has the easiest immigration systems in the whole world and almost any one with a degree no matter from whatever sub par standards are accepted as PR. If the standard is being relaxed and relaxed in the end this will be a third world country and Canadian will lose all the visa exempt privilege, we already see the problem crossing the border to US by Canadians, what do you want more?

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
deerestlovelybear said:
And processing time will be 10 years since every tom dick and harry will be eligible. Canada has the easiest immigration systems in the whole world and almost any one with a degree no matter from whatever sub par standards are accepted as PR. If the standard is being relaxed and relaxed in the end this will be a third world country and Canadian will lose all the visa exempt privilege, we already see the problem crossing the border to US by Canadians, what do you want more?
I'm assuming you think you are better than other PRs. Do you know how many uneducated people migrate to the US in comparison to Canada?

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
Joshua1 said:
I'm assuming you think you are better than other PRs. Do you know how many uneducated people migrate to the US in comparison to Canada?
Ask yourself a candid question, if you ever qualified to migrate to USA will you ever think of going to Canada? Most immigrants to Canada just use Canadian passport as a steping stone to USA or other countries because they can't get into those countries on their own merits! That is why the residency need to be longer to qualify for citizenship to deter transient immigrants. Other than family reunification, the US and other countries only take in real talents, not "paper talents" based on a point systems that are subject to abuse like here where people come only for 3 years and apply citizenship while on the way to airport

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deerestlovelybear said:
Ask yourself a candid question, if you ever qualified to migrate to USA will you ever think of going to Canada? Most immigrants to Canada just use Canadian passport as a steping stone to USA or other countries because they can't get into those countries on their own merits! That is why the residency need to be longer to qualify for citizenship to deter transient immigrants. Other than family reunification, the US and other countries only take in real talents, not "paper talents" based on a point systems that are subject to abuse like here where people come only for 3 years and apply citizenship while on the way to airport
Ding dong. That's partly why C24 was introduced.

irfan.khyam

Sep 5, 2013
Wondering what would be the case if a person is in Canada on a visit status before being granted a PR...IF the new bills allows the days to be counted before PR, would it also count them (half days) even if the person was on a visit visa or a super visa?

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
deerestlovelybear said:
I guess that is how you planned before coming to Canada. that does not mean most immigrants think the same way. I don't judge your plan, and I hope you could succeed.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
deerestlovelybear said:
Family reunification is the number one way to get into the US. So, your assertion of Canada attracting "paper talents" is inaccurate. In fact the opposite is true. A lot of immigrants to Canada are well educated but are frustrated with the prejudicial "Canadian experience" barrier in the workplace. FYI: Re US immigration, "of the more than 1 million new green-card holders in 2015, 44 percent were immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, 20 percent entered through a family-sponsored preference, and 14 percent via an employment-based preference. Another 14 percent adjusted from refugee or asylee status, and 5 percent were diversity lottery winners." http://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states

Imadassadi

Mar 13, 2017
You are mixing between two things,
Visitors comes to visit Canada not to reside,however, refugees come to reside and settle in canada. What I am saying is simple, both imgrants and refugees should be treated equally and have the same period of residency in order to apply for citizenship. It is not fair that imgrants granted citizenship in 3 or 4 years while some refugees wait for 6 or 7 years to apply because they have not credited the days pre-Pr. Also refugees should not be considered and treated as second class Permenant resident because simply other PRs afraid of the delay of processing time and want to grant thier citizenship in short time no matter how long the other PRs suffer and wait. When it comes to the comitment and the intention to reside , I am pretty sure that refugees are more committed than the others because most of them fled from thier countries and sell their properties and come to live here for ever, while some imgrants came to get citizenship and leave.