Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
imm_leb_01 said:
Thanks

Guys we all want the bill to pass, but i would have been shocked if it passed without amendments, i don't think the purpose is just to delay the bill, liesten to the amendments it may make sense to you
I agree. I would encourage all those "amendent-haters" to read up on the debate when it will be published tomorrow here:
https://sencanada.ca/en/in-the-chamber/debates

marky14

Star Member
Aug 4, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
subha_1962 said:
So it will be taken after two weeks timeÉ (Sorry my question mark icon is not working)
Let's take what Senator Omidvar mentioned before, 'it will be a long process'. I think we should stick on this and hope all goes well.

davidken1

Star Member
Dec 4, 2013
Yes I think it will be long process.. Just 3 more sittings in March and no sitting in April :eek: :eek:

quote author=marky14 link=topic=461681.msg5837912#msg5837912 date=1489091330]
Let's take what Senator Omidvar mentioned before, 'it will be a long process'. I think we should stick on this and hope all goes well.
[/quote]

marky14

Star Member
Aug 4, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
davidken1 said:
Yes I think it will be long process.. Just 3 more sittings in March and no sitting in April :eek: :eek:

marky14 said:
There are 6 sittings on April. April 4,5,6,11,12,13

AliceL

Mar 9, 2017
My following post refers to Senator Lang's intervention yesterday: How someone so ignorant and daft can be a senator is just beyond me! I think this is the second time this guy "shames" dual citizens for even having dual citizenship. First of all, if someone WANTS to have a second citizenship, they should not be shamed for it. That is what multiculturalism is about. Secondly and even more importantly, why is this guy so ignorant about the fact that many many non-western countries simply do NOT allow renunciation of citizenship. In fact, a mere blood connection to one of these countries (i.e. having a father or mother from that country) would AUTOMATICALLY grant you that second citizenship even if you are born in Canada and never even asked for it. Senator Omidvar explained this to Senator Lang, but apparently he is too limited intellectually to understand this simple, very checkable FACT. Instead, he goes on to contend that dual citizenship is a CHOICE, a "fact" he pulled from the alternative reality he lives in.

He even has the nerve so say that dual citizenship gives you "benefits". Keep in mind that most (if not all) of the countries that do not allow renunciation of citizenship (such as Iran, Cuba, and my own country) are god-awful countries that persecute or have persecuted their citizens for years. Believe me, not only is there no benefits in holding citizenship from these countries, but there are actually disadvantages! God knows, if I could, I would renounce my original citizenship the minute I become a Canadian citizen. Nothing would make me happier or feel more free. But unfortunately, I am not allowed to do so. As senator Omidvar pointed out, the minute I set foot in my birth country (to visit my family for example), I would no longer be considered a Canadian citizen, I would automatically be considered a citizen of my country of origin. And if I discard my original passport, I would not be allowed to get out of that country with a Canadian passport. Yes, these are FACTS. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to renounce my original citizenship. The fact that this idiot senator has the nerve to rub salt into the wound is simply disgusting and appalling. It is a testimony to how completely ignorant and lazy individuals get to decide on the fate of a country and its people.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
I read the last few pages, and all I got was today's debate was adjourned. Did Omidvar get to present the amendment today ? Next meeting on 28th ?

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to listen in today.

Edit: read a few more pages. Seems she did present the amendment today and it lead to an endless debate. Please correct and update me if I'm wrong.

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Hello everyone, I've been reading this thread for a very long time now (since the introduction of C-6 to the Senate) but never really wanted to get involved in the discution. However like many of you I've been eagerly following Senate and Committee meetings through the Parliament website.
I have been talking about the bill with a friend who works at CIC for a long time now and he told me a few things that made me reconsider my opinion about the delay of the Bill by the conservatives. There are two steps regarding the adoption of this Bill as it needs first to become law and then it's still to decide when that Bill would actually be implemented by CIC. And as a lot of people probably ignore, while this bill has been sitting in the limbo of Senate, CIC has been preparing for this law during all that time to be ready to implement the new directives and support the massive influx of citizenship requests. Thus, if the Bill had actually passed in december (let's presume) rather than later in the year (again let's assume june), the directives would still apply at the same moment, since CIC would have needed to prepare for all of it and as I was told, CIC is actually pretty much ready at this point for the new directives of Bill C-6. I don't want to give much more detail but my point is that the directives of Bill C-6 will most likely be implemented shortly after the Bill has passed rather than 6-7 months after if it had passed in December. The result is quite the same for us awaiting citizenship.

marky14

Star Member
Aug 4, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
razerblade said:
I read the last few pages, and all I got was today's debate was adjourned. Did Omidvar get to present the amendment today ? Next meeting on 28th ?

Edit: read a few more pages. Seems she did present the amendment today and it lead to an endless debate. Please correct and update me if I'm wrong.
spyfy said:
Senator McCoy is now presenting the amendment. She explained: It is her, not Omidvar, introducing the amendment since for procedural reasons the sponsor of the bill (Omidvar) can't propose an amendment herself.
It is not Senator Omidvar who presented the amendments but it was Senator McCoy.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Redfield said:
Hello everyone, I've been reading this thread for a very long time now (since the introduction of C-6 to the Senate) but never really wanted to get involved in the discution. However like many of you I've been eagerly following Senate and Committee meetings through the Parliament website.
I have been talking about the bill with a friend who works at CIC for a long time now and he told me a few things that made me reconsider my opinion about the delay of the Bill by the conservatives. There are two steps regarding the adoption of this Bill as it needs first to become law and then it's still to decide when that Bill would actually be implemented by CIC. And as a lot of people probably ignore, while this bill has been sitting in the limbo of Senate, CIC has been preparing for this law during all that time to be ready to implement the new directives and support the massive influx of citizenship requests. Thus, if the Bill had actually passed in december (let's presume) rather than later in the year (again let's assume june), the directives would still apply at the same moment, since CIC would have needed to prepare for all of it and as I was told, CIC is actually pretty much ready at this point for the new directives of Bill C-6. I don't want to give much more detail but my point is that the directives of Bill C-6 will most likely be implemented shortly after the Bill has passed rather than 6-7 months after if it had passed in December. The result is quite the same for us awaiting citizenship.
Hey. Welcome to the thread.

Thanks for sharing the tidbit.

A lot of us expect it to happen as you say but there is no guarantee that CIC will do so. It only makes sense for the directors in CIC who are going to be in charge of implementing this Bill start doing their homework on it as soon as they hear that a bill has been introduced.

However, they would still be within their rights to take longer if they wanted to. Government never really moves fast with anything. It will still take a few months at the least.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
razerblade said:

Senator Mccoy presented the amendment. Then they debated about it for a bit. Next meeting is on March 28.
They will be debating this for 3-5 sessions before calling a vote. This would be mean it would pass senate in April as I originally predicted. Then Hoc in May and royal assent by June

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
razerblade said:

Looks like that's exactly what happened!

Btw, does anyone know where to find the Senate sitting schedule for this year? I'm checking their web-site and googling. But all I could find was Hof's calendar.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Varangian said:
Looks like that's exactly what happened!

Btw, does anyone know where to find the Senate sitting schedule for this year? I'm checking their web-site and googling. But all I could find was Hof's calendar.
www.sencanada.ca

On the top there's a link "Calendar".

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
_MK_ said:
Hey. Welcome to the thread.

Thanks for sharing the tidbit.

A lot of us expect it to happen as you say but there is no guarantee that CIC will do so. It only makes sense for the directors in CIC who are going to be in charge of implementing this Bill start doing their homework on it as soon as they hear that a bill has been introduced.

However, they would still be within their rights to take longer if they wanted to. Government never really moves fast with anything. It will still take a few months at the least.
I agree it will take CIC 6-8 months - as you mentioned government never moves fast with anything - what is more important than a human life ? go to emergency and be in pain and see how fast they can go -