+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

VFX_man

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
spyfy said:
There is many posts/threads in this forum on this matter. Just hit the search button and you shall find :)
Thanks, should have indicated I was making a funny.

Do have the info/answer I think -- cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

junyul1991

Mar 14, 2014
tyl92 said:
Fyi guys,
Bill c6 is not scheduled for next Tuesday as the order of the day just came in.
Won't be a problem. I check the case for Bill C-4 and it was not scheduled either but it did get reported on that day.

nick82

Jun 30, 2015
tyl92 said:
This is bill c6 implementation plan as mentionned on

if can summarize it here to make it more simple for everybody :

Bill c-6 is cut in 4 "blocks", which would be implemented separately .

Block 1 : Intent to reside clause , pre-pr credit and the 183 days residence requirement .
Block 2 : 3/5 rule , tax filing requirement for the 3/5 .
Block 3 : age requirement modification for language testing , minors won't have to prove language proficiency , oath taking rules for people incarcerated .
Block 4 : the minister will be able to seize any fraudulent document used .

All those blocks will be implemented at different moment on a date fixed by the Governor in council.
Is the pre-pr time only for students and foreign workers? My wife joined me in Canada as a dual intent visitor and spent about 16 months in Canada before her in land application was processed for PR. We are hoping she would get 8 months of the pre-pr time with block 1 implementation and she would be eligible to apply for citizenship right away.

richard1234

Sep 1, 2014
nick82 said:
Is the pre-pr time only for students and foreign workers? My wife joined me in Canada as a dual intent visitor and spent about 16 months in Canada before her in land application was processed for PR. We are hoping she would get 8 months of the pre-pr time with block 1 implementation and she would be eligible to apply for citizenship right away.
Pre-PR time counts for anyone who was legally living in Canada before obtaining PR including protected persons.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
nick82 said:
From the bill
(a) for every day during which the person was physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act before becoming a permanent resident, the person accumulates half of a day of physical presence, up to a maximum of 365 days;

Whether visitor counts for temp resident may need to be clarified

MonzB

Nov 28, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NOVA SCOTIA
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2017
nick82 said:
For every day during which the applicant was physically present in Canada as a temporary resident (worker, student, visitor, protected person) before becoming a permanent resident, the applicant accumulates half of a day of physical presence, up to a maximum of 365 days of credited time.

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
So next week at the third reading, Sen Omidvar is presenting the amendment.

http://www.hilltimes.com/2017/03/02/amending-govt-citizenship-bill-necessary-says-senate-sponsor-bill-c-6-omidvar/98340

marky14

Star Member
Aug 4, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itsmyid said:
From the bill
(a) for every day during which the person was physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act before becoming a permanent resident, the person accumulates half of a day of physical presence, up to a maximum of 365 days;

Whether visitor counts for temp resident may need to be clarified
I think tourist visa is considered as a temp resident, but yes needs to be clarified. In addition, I believe one basis is having her taxes filed here in Canada during that time - meaning she have obtained a SIN (and being a tourist you cannot have a SIN and therefore not able to file taxes). Students and Foreign Workers have SIN and have filed their tax returns. I am no expert and anybody could comment on it to clarify this matter.

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
subha_1962 said:
So next week at the third reading, Sen Omidvar is presenting the amendment.

http://www.hilltimes.com/2017/03/02/amending-govt-citizenship-bill-necessary-says-senate-sponsor-bill-c-6-omidvar/98340
Nice article.Thanks a lot for sharing. At least both Senator Omidvar and the immigration minister agree that bill has been delayed a lot and should move forward quickly.Hope Omidvar drafts and purposes all the amendments next week in the Senate.I am not sure how long our Conservative friends will try to delay at the third reading but based on immigration ministers comments it should pass the HOC stage quickly in case it is sent there for amendments.

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Finally everyone started to notice that the conservatives deliberately tried to delay this bill from the start. Lets hope they won't use the same tactics in the thrid readings to further delay this bill.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
They have to pass it quickly at third reading otherwise i can tell you i will take some time just like 2nd reading. (8 sittings in 3 months )
c2 : 7 sittings for 3rd reading .
No delay is expected at the HoC since the minister's position was clear though.
Even c4 is slowed down , my guess , they are waiting for c6 so they pass them together.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
tyl92 said:
They have to pass it quickly at third reading otherwise i can tell you i will take some time just like 2nd reading. (8 sittings in 3 months )
c2 : 7 sittings for 3rd reading .
No delay is expected at the HoC since the minister's position was clear though.
Even c4 is slowed down , my guess , they are waiting for c6 so they pass them together.
It will definitely go through at least 3-4 meeting days.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
_MK_ said:
It will definitely go through at least 3-4 meeting days.
we'll wait and see ,hopefully for the best .
the pre-pr credit clause affected me a lot with c24 , my patience has been toughly tested.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
tyl92 said:
we'll wait and see ,hopefully for the best .
the pre-pr credit clause affected me a lot with c24 , my patience has been toughly tested.
Lot of people including me are in the same boat.