+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
marcher said:
Implementation depends on which clauses you are referring to. Most clauses would be implemented immediately after it becomes law. The only one that might take time is the 3/5 rule due to the systemic changes required to accommodate it.
Right. I was mainly referring to the 3/5 rule taking time to implement.

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
razerblade said:
There is a difference between the bill *passing* and being *implemented*. The bill may pass in the next few months, but it won't be in effect till it gets implemented. I think the forum member was talking about it being implemented by Jan 2018, meaning new application forms available.
"Once a bill has been granted Royal Assent, it becomes law and comes into force either on that date or at a date provided for within the Act or specified by an order of the Governor in Council."

This is a quote from the government web-site. I believe, we can expect the Royal assent before the Canada day on July 1st.
I doubt that it will take 6 months (too long) to become an actual law.

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
Latest tweet from Senator Jaffer

Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏Verified account @SenJaffer 1h1 hour ago

@J_polus #C6 I am hoping it will be law soon #senCA

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
Varangian said:
"Once a bill has been granted Royal Assent, it becomes law and comes into force either on that date or at a date provided for within the Act or specified by an order of the Governor in Council."

This is a quote from the government web-site. I believe, we can expect the Royal assent before the Canada day on July 1st.
I doubt that it will take 6 months (too long) to become an actual law.
An act comes into force on the date of Royal Assent, unless the Act itself states that it comes into force on some other day. Different sections of an act can come into force on different days. An exact date may be specified or a "commencement" section may state that the Act, or certain sections of the Act, will come into force "by order of the Governor in Council". This means an order in council is required to fix the date that the Act or sections of the Act come into force. These orders in council are often referred to as proclamations.

So, it's very logical to fix everything and make it a law before the 150 Canada Anniversary!

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Varangian said:
Any particular reasons you think the bill will be done only by Jan 2018? Why Jan? It's pretty much a year from now!
Looking at similar bills' life-time in Senate, I'd say the third reading and the royal assent don't take that much time.
As already explained, I expect the bill to become law soon (within the next few months). I do not believe it will take effect immediately as changing process takes time. If it does, we will all be happy as the law makes me eligible to apply in July and I am sure I am not the only one.

Some people think that CIC/IRCC has been preparing already and it shouldn't take too long. At this point it is just speculation.

I only hope they will do 3rd reading in March, final vote in Parliament by April. This will mean it will be law by May.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Varangian said:
An act comes into force on the date of Royal Assent, unless the Act itself states that it comes into force on some other day. Different sections of an act can come into force on different days. An exact date may be specified or a "commencement" section may state that the Act, or certain sections of the Act, will come into force "by order of the Governor in Council". This means an order in council is required to fix the date that the Act or sections of the Act come into force. These orders in council are often referred to as proclamations.
Bill C-6 has exactly such provisions. It simply depends on how long the administration needs to accommodate these changes. Once the admin is ready (or at least they know when they'll be ready), the Minister (well, officially, the Governor-General) gives the Order-in-Council that specifies when the new application rules come into effect.

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/837337009656057856
Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏ Verified account @SenJaffer 5h
#C6 - going through clause by clause . The Bill has passed Committee and now it will return to Senate Chamber. Contact Senators . #senca

https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/837386477600407552
Sen. Mobina Jaffer ‏Verified account @SenJaffer 1h
@MoAnwar7 There will be an amendment so people can have appeal rights #senCA

https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/837387121409343492
Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏ Verified account @SenJaffer 1h
@UshaPerera It will be in the Senate Chamber next Tuesday. The Committee sent it back to Chamber #C6. #senCa

https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/837387686629486594
Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏ Verified account @SenJaffer 1h
@J_polus #C6 I am hoping it will be law soon #senCA

https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/837389961779372032
@mego149 @markkvillanueva on tuesday the Bill will be in the Senate Chamber #C6 #senCA

https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/837390453947396098
@mego149 The Chair of Committee will report to the Senate and later on the Bill and later will be debated at 3rd Reading #C6 #senCA

https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/837408704274264064
Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏ Verified account @SenJaffer 2m
@raniafazah #c6. There is still a long 3rd Reading debate and amendments

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
_MK_ said:
As already explained, I expect the bill to become law soon (within the next few months). I do not believe it will take effect immediately as changing process takes time. If it does, we will all be happy as the law makes me eligible to apply in July and I am sure I am not the only one.

Some people think that CIC/IRCC has been preparing already and it shouldn't take too long. At this point it is just speculation.

I only hope they will do 3rd reading in March, final vote in Parliament by April. This will mean it will be law by May.
Thank you Very well explained! :) Hopefully, changing processes won't take too long as the nature of Bill C-6 is (pretty much) bringing back what we had before C-24 (July 2015). So, I assume they just need to "grease the old gears" to make them turn.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
subha_1962 said:
But the Minister said yesterday that they have already started the process of reversal of the revocation of citizenship of the terrorist who lost it. So I too think that implementation will be way faster than people think
The minister is using his special ministerial powers to grant / return citizenship / prevent losing citizenship. That has nothing to do with implementation of law.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Varangian said:
Thank you Very well explained! :) Hopefully, changing processes won't take too long as the nature of Bill C-6 is (pretty much) bringing back what we had before C-24 (July 2015). So, I assume they just need to "grease the old gears" to make them turn.
Nothing is ever so smooth in any department of the government. Many layers of bureaucracy before it gets to the public.
Only way it is implemented immediately or soon (this year) is if the Immigration Minister/Prime Minister pushes it through and they would only go through all that trouble if they have something to gain politically. Election is far enough away that this wont be top of their agenda.

This will, however, be the first major bill under the new minister of Immigration and he might want to take some personal interest in seeing it through quickly. We can only wait and see!

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
_MK_ said:
Nothing is ever so smooth in any department of the government. Many layers of bureaucracy before it gets to the public.
Only way it is implemented immediately or soon (this year) is if the Immigration Minister/Prime Minister pushes it through and they would only go through all that trouble if they have something to gain politically. Election is far enough away that this wont be top of their agenda.

This will, however, be the first major bill under the new minister of Immigration and he might want to take some personal interest in seeing it through quickly. We can only wait and see!
That's my point! Canada Day... and especially Canada's 150 Anniversary this year is a great occasion to show to public that the government has done! But will see very soon.

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
marcher said:
Implementation depends on which clauses you are referring to. Most clauses would be implemented immediately after it becomes law. The only one that might take time is the 3/5 rule due to the systemic changes required to accommodate it.
Do you think the pre-pr credit will also be implemented immediately or this clause will also need sytematic changes and will be only implemented with or some time before the 3/5 rule.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
HSD said:
Do you think the pre-pr credit will also be implemented immediately or this clause will also need sytematic changes and will be only implemented with or some time before the 3/5 rule.
Both the 3/5 and the pre-pr credit require new procedures (presence calculator, application forms, their own IT that they use to process the applications,...). So I think with a 99% chance both these changes will be implemented at the same time. Otherwise they would have to overhaul the application process twice which makes no sense.

Edit: In fact, the Coming in to Force Clauses of Bill C-6 require that 3/5 and pre-PR credit are implemented at the same time.
Here is the text of the bill:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8380792
As you can see, those clauses that are not taking effect immediately are separated into four groups. The first group says "Subsections 1(1), (3) and (7) and section 8 come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council." Note that 1(1) is the 3/5 rule and (7) is the pre-pr rule.

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
spyfy said:
Both the 3/5 and the pre-pr credit require new procedures (presence calculator, application forms, their own IT that they use to process the applications,...). So I think with a 99% chance both these changes will be implemented at the same time. Otherwise they would have to overhaul the application process twice which makes no sense.

Edit: In fact, the Coming in to Force Clauses of Bill C-6 require that 3/5 and pre-PR credit are implemented at the same time.
Here is the text of the bill:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8380792
As you can see, those clauses that are not taking effect immediately are separated into four groups. The first group says "Subsections 1(1), (3) and (7) and section 8 come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council." Note that 1(1) is the 3/5 rule and (7) is the pre-pr rule.
Yes, I think the same as well.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
system wise they should have to implement those 2 clauses together...
Technically speaking .. there will be a backlog , thin or big , there will be one ..since all of sudden you qualify way more people than what was expected . The question will be : will CIC be prepared for that ? staff wise ? etc...
And the problem is , actually the more they wait , the more damage there will be , since every day you get more and more qualified people .
So , i think , the best way is to not wait a lot between implementation and royal assent .I don't know what you guys think about that
Now , c6 will pass , and it never happened that a bill was defeated at third reading , so according to me it will pass very soon ,by the end of this session , in june, at the latest ( should they delay/play the same games they played during 2nd reading )
i'm just scared that delays will peak just like before ( approx 24 months processing times ) , but the process has changed on the other ,cutting all the unnecessary steps.