+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
MonzB said:
I agree with you...and even if we are not all immigrants we are from families that are immigrants.
I so much hope for bill c6 to pass , it will make me eligible to apply this march..let's hope for the best

Sep 29, 2016
Did some digging..

There are three bills awaiting committee review.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/sencommitteebusiness/CommitteeStudies.aspx?parl=42&ses=1&Language=E&comm_id=1047

Bill C-6, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act (2016-12-15)
Bill S-214, An Act to amend the Food and Drugs Act (cruelty-free cosmetics) (2016-12-13)
Bill S-218, An Act respecting Latin American Heritage Month (2016-12-12)

Do we know when the committee is meeting next?

http://www.parl.gc.ca/sencommitteebusiness/CommitteeMeetingSchedule.aspx?parl=42&ses=1&Language=E&comm_id=1047

Schedule says no upcoming meetings

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
just did another head count for the committee, found there are 8 lib and JT appointed senators as opposed to 7 con and SH appointed senators.

Did the members get changed recently? it is definitely in favour of the bill during the committee hearing process.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
hangincanada said:
just did another head count for the committee, found there are 8 lib and JT appointed senators as opposed to 7 con and SH appointed senators.

Did the members get changed recently? it is definitely in favour of the bill during the committee hearing process.
I do not think the members will change before the committee meeting. You are right about the count, but we should also keep in mind that the independent Senators (even if appointed by JT) may vote against the bill, or at least request amendments.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
marcher said:
I do not think the members will change before the committee meeting. You are right about the count, but we should also keep in mind that the independent Senators (even if appointed by JT) may vote against the bill, or at least request amendments.
Exactly, just because they were appointed by JT doesn't mean they will do everything he asks them to do , otherwise what is the point of having 'independent senators'?

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
marcher said:
In fact some independent members will vote against JT bill just to make a point that they are "independent".

guddylover

Dec 31, 2016
quasar81 said:
In fact some independent members will vote against JT bill just to make a point that they are "independent".
...and Independent senator job is to vote against a government bill just for the fun of it or to prove a point?

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
quasar81 said:
you are too negative
what do you predict gonna happen at the end?

Canada isnt third world country, senators doent act this way. cons senators might vote for c6 ;)

Saga

Star Member
Feb 20, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 September 2010
AOR Received.
26 September 2010
Med's Request
22 February 2011
Med's Done....
29 March 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
19 April 2011
LANDED..........
26 May 2011
Regardless of the number of senator for and against this bill, at this stage nothing is sure and the vote can go either way. A lot of independent senators have mentioned that JT " has nothing on them" and they are free to vote their minds other said that they are inclined to liberal views.
So only the actual vote on the bill will tell us if it will pass and how

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
ipfreely said:
Aren't they suppose to work with the party in power upto the point the latter looses its confidence as a government?

In fact, how many liberal and independent HoC reps and senators voted for c24 when Mr. Harper's government is sitting?
look into the independent senator in committee, they got high profiles and skills. To be honest I have confidence in them.

Dont worry, if they dont want this bill to pass they would not transfer it committee. it will not reach this stage.

meayman

Sep 19, 2012
So much negativity around this thread!

What makes sense is that this bill passes. It is supported by the elected government and it is an election promise by JT.

So people who are so pessimistic, please keep it to yourself. No need for spreading negative comments that have no ground at all!

Chill out, and wait, it will pass eventually ;) ;)

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
meayman said:

What makes sense is that this bill passes. It is supported by the elected government and it is an election promise by JT.

So people who are so pessimistic, please keep it to yourself. No need for spreading negative comments that have no ground at all!

Absolutely!!!!!!

Lets celebrate 2017 c6 150 years Canada ;D

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
meayman said:

I fully agree with you that people need to chill out and that it is likely that it will pass in some form.

But this comment: "It is supported by the elected government and it is an election promise by JT." has no weight to me when you look at past history - especially the Liberal party.

wamapr

Dec 2, 2016
Let's hope we'll all be hit by a pleasant surprise and that the C6 will pass and be implemented by Canada Day 2017 :)