+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Sep 29, 2016
the status says Referred to Standing Committee - "Standing Committee - Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology"

Any idea what the process is next? What happens once the committee approves, does it come back for another reading?

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
proud_canadian said:
the status says Referred to Standing Committee - "Standing Committee - Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology"

Any idea what the process is next? What happens once the committee approves, does it come back for another reading?
Check the previous pages please. Marcher already explained everything very clearly multiple times.
Here it is again:

marcher said:
I see a lot of comments on here might make it difficult for a visitor to find out the latest regarding Bill C-6, so I will just include a summary of where the bill stands now:
• On December 15th, 2016 the Bill passed Second Reading and was referred to committee by Senator Omidvar
• The committee it was referred to is: Social Affairs, Science and Technology
• The committee is composed of the following Senators: 6 Conservatives, 3 Liberals, and 6 non-affiliated
• The following 2 non-affiliated Senators were appointed during Harper’s term: Jacques Demers and Don Meredith
• There are 15 votes, therefore a minimum of 8 votes are required to pass Bill C-6 through the Committee
• If all Cons vote No, and Libs vote Yes, then at least 5 out of 6 non-affiliated have to vote Yes
• One of the most possible scenarios is that the Committee will introduce amendments to the bill and send it back to House of Commons for approval. The bill can then go straight to Third Reading and Royal Assent.

Regarding the time frame; anything provided here by me or any other contributor is pure speculation, please do not take it as facts and start planning accordingly.
• The next Senate sitting is on Tuesday 31st, January.
• There is a big chance the Committee will meet the same week.
• It may take a couple of committee meetings to complete the amendments
• If no amendments are included, and there is a majority vote (highly unlikely), then the Bill could go to Third Reading after one Committee meeting
• The big question is when will the bill become law? My personal guess is it will get amended and go through the necessary route. It will not be delayed the same way it was before because the amendments will try to reach some level of compromise to keep the Cons happy. So I would say probably beginning of March would be a reasonable date for Third Reading.

Richard11

Star Member
Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To be honest I am one of most person to obey Canadian law, and also I help and donate monthly to Candida Red cross, Food bank and others,, but i believe this Senators system are one of main problem to leave Canada behind!!...if senators was choosing by people ,right now Canada will be one of five powerful countries in economic and armies and other ways

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Richard11 said:
To be honest I am one of most person to obey Canadian law, and also I help and donate monthly to Candida Red cross, Food bank and others,, but i believe this Senators system are one of main problem to leave Canada behind!!...if senators was choosing by people ,right now Canada will be one of five powerful countries in economic and armies and other ways
"If Senators were chosen by the people, Canada would have one of the 5 most powerful armies" LMAO :)
Go home Richard, you're dunk! Hahahaha ;D :p

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Richard11 said:
Thank you for this! This makes me laugh even harder than your daily "any good news today?" post....

Richard11

Star Member
Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hey guys forget about powerful army, i mean Canada is big country and deserve way better, weak administration and corrupt senators made smart people to go and work for USA

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Richard11 said:
hey guys forget about powerful army, i mean Canada is big country and deserve way better, weak administration and corrupt senators made smart people to go and work for USA
I was just joking around Richard.
I'm from Belgium and I can't stop joking about everything I can, and never politically correct.
Plus, we have nothing else on this topic for the next 2 months.
Hey, by the way, Merry Christmas everybody!

PS: Don't forget Santa Claus is a copy of Belgium-Netherlands' Saint-Nicholas (or "Sinterklaas" in Dutch), which was renamed Santa Claus by New Amsterdamers (New Yorkers) to get away from European roots and was also later redesigned by Coca-Cola :'(

rmorgan

Jan 24, 2015
MarceauBletard said:
I

PS: Don't forget Santa Claus is a copy of Belgium-Netherlands' Saint-Nicholas (or "Sinterklaas" in Dutch), which was renamed Santa Claus by New Amsterdamers (New Yorkers) to get away from European roots and was also later redesigned by Coca-Cola :'(
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone. The year when C-6 will hopefully become law in its entirety.

Btw the 'Belgium-Netherlands' Saint-Nicholas was born and lived in what is now Turkey :)

zorroo

Apr 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HSD said:
It already came into affect.Most of the forum members are busy applying. ;D
Thanks dude, your comment made me laugh uncontrollably! ;D
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Rabirabi said:
What is the update regarding c-6 really I am confused!!
It is at committee stage which won't meet until Feb 2017. Do your part and bug the hell out of Senate speaker, PM Trudeau and Min John Mccallum to push C6. That's all you can do until Feb 2017.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
quasar81 said:
It is at committee stage which won't meet until Feb 2017. Do your part and bug the hell out of Senate speaker, PM Trudeau and Min John Mccallum to push C6. That's all you can do until Feb 2017.
unbelievable conservatives. why are they always thinking immigrants so evil and giving us a hard time? why did they allow us becoming PRs in the first place if we were not up to standard?
we will see in a month how those con senators are going to challenge the bill in the committee.