+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
marcher said:
Are you sure?
By the way, I have to remind everyone that while we are generalizing and complaining about all Senators, the only one we need to contact (although she does not respond) is Senator Omidvar. She is the one who took over the Bill, and is supposedly working on amendments. I understand it takes time to draft the amendments, and this might not be the most important file on her desk, but I do find it very disappointing how unlike other Senators, she never responds to any public messages. For the record, she is an independent Senator nominated by JT and appointed last March. She is an expert on migration, diversity and inclusion, and seems to care about immigration issues (or at least that is what her retweets appear to demonstrate). Any other Senator I or other colleagues on here contacted seems to point us back to Omidvar. They cannot do anything until she comes back with the amendments. If only she responds and lets the rest of us know what is going on, or at least tell us when she expects to have all ready.
It's written on the bill's provision , the 3/5 will be the last one to come into force.It is divided in 4 sections .

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
I hope and wish C6 is implemented in whole and not in parts. Thats what the spirit should be. Implementation in parts is not likely.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
sukhi7 said:
I hope and wish C6 is implemented in whole and not in parts. Thats what the spirit should be. Implementation in parts is not likely.
It is not possible to implement the entire bill as a whole. Just look at C-24, it was implemented in stages, with the 4/6 rule being the last. Certain rules can be changed immediately and applied to the new applicants. Others require a period of preparation, especially at IRCC level. It took them about a year to prepare their staff and system for the 4/6 rule; it makes sense to assume the same amount of time might be required to change back to 3/5 rule, after the bill is passed.

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
marcher said:
It is not possible to implement the entire bill as a whole. Just look at C-24, it was implemented in stages, with the 4/6 rule being the last. Certain rules can be changed immediately and applied to the new applicants. Others require a period of preparation, especially at IRCC level. It took them about a year to prepare their staff and system for the 4/6 rule; it makes sense to assume the same amount of time might be required to change back to 3/5 rule, after the bill is passed.

I agree but 3/5 rule software is already available with CIC. Theres no redevelopment as they were using same earlier. Switching will be much easier but only question is when the law will pass?? :'( :'(

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
spiritsoul said:
This became the norm then, we can still wish Omidvar might make it a last minute Christmas present. But that would mean it will have to be further discussed in the beginning of the New Year, and probably accepted by February.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
to complete the second reading , committee stage , going back and forth plus 3rd reading ...before 2017 .. hope is life but here i seriously question it .. plus they go back to session in the end of january .. my predictions would be for spring 2017 with a full implementation around 2018 . Those are my personal predictions not negative nor pessimistic opinions

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
disha_kaur said:
what will happen if it is not passed by year end?
will it have to go through all stages of HOC n senate again??
I don't think so. I hope someone more knowledgeable of the process responds, I am curious too. But my guess is that it will just continue in the new year, I do not think it has to be passed before the year end. It is most probable that Omidvar will introduce amendments to the Bill though. I am not sure if that would require it to go back to HoC then or not. I doubt Senators can change a bill and approve it without having majority approval at HoC level first.

disha_kaur

Aug 11, 2016
i read that a bill dies naturally if it is not passed by end of year and has to be introduced again... but i am not really sure as it is very confusing

disha_kaur

Aug 11, 2016
here is a note that i read:
WHAT HAPPENS IF A BILL IS NOT PASSED?
Not all bills become law. A bill "dies on the order paper" if it does not pass through all of the stages described above during a session of Parliament. A bill that has died on the order paper can, however, be reintroduced as a new bill, with a new bill number, in the next session of Parliament.

http://www.courthouselibrary.ca/training/HowToGuides/FedLegGuide/HowABillBecomesLawInCanada.aspx

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
disha_kaur said:
here is a note that i read:
WHAT HAPPENS IF A BILL IS NOT PASSED?
Not all bills become law. A bill "dies on the order paper" if it does not pass through all of the stages described above during a session of Parliament. A bill that has died on the order paper can, however, be reintroduced as a new bill, with a new bill number, in the next session of Parliament.

http://www.courthouselibrary.ca/training/HowToGuides/FedLegGuide/HowABillBecomesLawInCanada.aspx
I wonder if "Session of Parliament" means a fiscal year, or probably the period a party is in power?

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
if you look at previous sessions , some lasted less than a year and others more ... if this session is ended then most likely all the pending bills die..they pushed very quickly c2 , which was a campaign promise but with monsef's case ...that'd make sense that liberals wish that bill c6 dies so they can draft a new one without involving monsef ... just my guess.... who knows now ?