+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
tyl92 said:
Properly said , but even though bill c6 passed second reading , however it still has a long way ahead full of challenges . They will be back in february , unless a big surprise , i don't see it being passed quickly, even c2 was discussed a lot of times during committee sessions and third reading . If it gets amended , we are looking at bigger delays , because of the back-and forth legislative process . I'm even wondering if even it gets through committee stage ..will we face the same thing as second reading i.e regular debate adjournments etc...?
But like i said before , anyone eligible in 2017 under current rules shouldn't be hoping much from that and even if it passes super quickly and is implemented quickly which will surprise us all and i know we'd like to be surprised by this bill c6.
True, as for people like me who are eligible in 2017, I am not really following C-6 for the 3/5 rule anymore. In fact, if it is implemented I am afraid my application will get delayed by the new backlog that will result. For the rest of individuals like myself, we are more concerned about the generic clauses such as intent to reside and revocation of citizenship, that may make us second class citizens in the long run. Those clauses are so vague leaving space for potential interpretations. I am neither planning to work abroad, nor ever commit any wrongdoing of any level. However, it bothers me to know that my children and I will be a Canadians with less rights than other Canadians simply because of our dual citizenship. As for 3/5 rule, I gave up on that a while ago ..

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
True, as for people like me who are eligible in 2017, I am not really following C-6 for the 3/5 rule anymore. In fact, if it is implemented I am afraid my application will get delayed by the new backlog that will result. For the rest of individuals like myself, we are more concerned about the generic clauses such as intent to reside and revocation of citizenship, that may make us second class citizens in the long run. Those clauses are so vague leaving space for potential interpretations. I am neither planning to work abroad, nor ever commit any wrongdoing of any level. However, it bothers me to know that my children and I will be a Canadians with less rights than other Canadians simply because of our dual citizenship. As for 3/5 rule, I gave up on that a while ago ..
So now we are following it for the same reasons :D
I always thought the essence of the bill was about making Canadians equals for the best and the worst. So I really hope the Liberals are not going to compromise on that.
Your reasoning above is very valid when we are talking about the HoC and a Minority government. But applying that logic to compromises with non-elected individuals seems to me very disproportionate. Look at what happened to the amendements to C-4 and to C-2.
As Minister McCallum said himself, the only amendements that we should expect are around the revocation process for misrepresentation (even if they could have done that at the HoC committee), so compromising on the core issues addressed by the Bill (Equality between Canadians and Accessibility to Canadian Citizenship) seems to me highly improbable.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
marcher said:
True, as for people like me who are eligible in 2017, I am not really following C-6 for the 3/5 rule anymore. In fact, if it is implemented I am afraid my application will get delayed by the new backlog that will result.
same here...

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
admontreal said:
So now we are following it for the same reasons :D
I always thought the essence of the bill was about making Canadians equals for the best and the worst. So I really hope the Liberals are not going to compromise on that.
Your reasoning above is very valid when we are talking about the HoC and a Minority government. But applying that logic to compromises with non-elected individuals seems to me very disproportionate. Look at what happened to the amendements to C-4 and to C-2.
As Minister McCallum said himself, the only amendements that we should expect are around the revocation process for misrepresentation (even if they could have done that at the HoC committee), so compromising on the core issues addressed by the Bill (Equality between Canadians and Accessibility to Canadian Citizenship) seems to me highly improbable.
Well nothing can stop Cons and the two Senators appointed during Harper's term from voting no. What would Libs do then?

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
Well nothing can stop Cons and the two Senators appointed during Harper's term from voting no. What would Libs do then?
You're right in theory. And I'll add to that, nothing stopped the Governor General from saying no to grant the Royal Sanction to C-24, and the Electoral College from saying no to Donald Trump. And what happened ? Nothing.

These 'ceremonial' roles have large powers in theory but in practice, it is very limited. They can only complain in long and recycled speeches and symbolically vote 'No' when they are sure that the 'Yes' will pass. Otherwise we would be like in the US, not a single law would pass !!!

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
admontreal said:
You're right in theory. And I'll add to that, nothing stopped the Governor General from saying no to grant the Royal Sanction to C-24, and the Electoral College from saying no to Donald Trump. And what happened ? Nothing.

These 'ceremonial' roles have large powers in theory but in practice, it is very limited. They can only complain in long and recycled speeches and symbolically vote 'No' when they are sure that the 'Yes' will pass. Otherwise we would be like in the US, not a single law would pass !!!
I hope you are correct as I want C-6 to become law ASAP :)

bonaddictus

Star Member
Mar 14, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 12, 2015
AOR Received.
Sept 15, 2015
File Transfer...
Sept. 25, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug 2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 11, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
June 4, 2016
LANDED..........
July 2, 2016
marcher said:
I see a lot of comments on here might make it difficult for a visitor to find out the latest regarding Bill C-6, so I will just include a summary of where the bill stands now:
• On December 15th, 2016 the Bill passed Second Reading and was referred to committee by Senator Omidvar
• The committee it was referred to is: Social Affairs, Science and Technology
• The committee is composed of the following Senators: 6 Conservatives, 3 Liberals, and 6 non-affiliated
• The following 2 non-affiliated Senators were appointed during Harper’s term: Jacques Demers and Don Meredith
• There are 15 votes, therefore a minimum of 8 votes are required to pass Bill C-6 through the Committee
• If all Cons vote No, and Libs vote Yes, then at least 5 out of 6 non-affiliated have to vote Yes
• One of the most possible scenarios is that the Committee will introduce amendments to the bill and send it back to House of Commons for approval. The bill can then go straight to Third Reading and Royal Assent.

Regarding the time frame; anything provided here by me or any other contributor is pure speculation, please do not take it as facts and start planning accordingly.
• The next Senate sitting is on Tuesday 31st, January.
• There is a big chance the Committee will meet the same week.
• It may take a couple of committee meetings to complete the amendments
• If no amendments are included, and there is a majority vote (highly unlikely), then the Bill could go to Third Reading after one Committee meeting
• The big question is when will the bill become law? My personal guess is it will get amended and go through the necessary route. It will not be delayed the same way it was before because the amendments will try to reach some level of compromise to keep the Cons happy. So I would say probably beginning of March would be a reasonable date for Third Reading.
Dear Marcher,

Thank you for doing a summary of what has happened to this bill. As I am a lurker than an active poster, I find your post as helpful as other forum members here.

Keep it up. If you happen to be in Calgary. Let me know. Your Tim's is on me

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
I hope you are correct as I want C-6 to become law ASAP :)
C-29 was amended by the Senate Monday with Finance Minister Bill Morneau's blessing, removing a controversial passage that Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard had asked senators from his province to block. source: CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/mps-vote-in-christmas-1.3897054

See... Everything needs the Government Blessing at the Senate...

MM26

Oct 3, 2016
Good news guys! Apparently, senator Demers has been replaced by senator Hartling (another independent appointed by Trudeau). Check the committee webpage: (add www)
parl.gc.ca/sencommitteebusiness/CommitteeHome.aspx?parl=42&ses=1&Language=E&comm_id=1047

So now there are 5 independent senators appointed by Trudeau n the committee. Tentative vote: 5+3 vs 7.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
Perfecto ;D ;D ;D

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
bonaddictus said:
Dear Marcher,

Thank you for doing a summary of what has happened to this bill. As I am a lurker than an active poster, I find your post as helpful as other forum members here.

Keep it up. If you happen to be in Calgary. Let me know. Your Tim's is on me
Thanks for the offer kind sir.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
MM26 said:
Good news guys! Apparently, senator Demers has been replaced by senator Hartling (another independent appointed by Trudeau). Check the committee webpage: (add www)
parl.gc.ca/sencommitteebusiness/CommitteeHome.aspx?parl=42&ses=1&Language=E&comm_id=1047

So now there are 5 independent senators appointed by Trudeau n the committee. Tentative vote: 5+3 vs 7.
Great news, C-6 looks more like a reality now more than ever before. February can't come faster!

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
marcher said:
Great news, C-6 looks more like a reality now more than ever before. February can't come faster!
So that means bill c6 should pass the committee stage in a few sitting in feb and third reading in March or April.Because there is no question of it going to Hoc for amendments now.So it can became a law as soon as July 2017 or as late as April 2018.