App. Filed.......
01-08-2010
Passport Req..
01-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2013
LANDED..........
20-09-2013
Globe and mail news mentioned about these 4 Govt Bills C-4, C-44, C-6, C-16 but the HoC is working on C-46 today. I feel there is a some deviation between the news and HoC's priorities, though there is time till end of June. Lets hope for the best to happen.

sivabalan

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-08-2010
Passport Req..
01-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2013
LANDED..........
20-09-2013

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016

lilen

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
instead of finishing what they already have since more than a year, they introduce new law c46 for first reading lool, no worries we still have time :D

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
Bill C6 has a history of being dealt with at the very latest moments ( Hoc passage,from 2nd reading to committee stage in senate , and 3rd reading)
The only issue here is if they go on recess earlier than expected since the bill will most likely go back to senate at some point.
After more than a year , two
Ministers later , the bill is still there .
Is it one the government's priorities? Isn't it ? Good question
I do believe that social networks have a tremendous power and I'm convinced that the fact it helped a lot to make things go forward at committee stage/3rd reading
At this stage , stressing out is only affecting us . So plan according to the current legislation , should this bill pass and be implemented then you'd be happier and end up saving time .
I think it will pass at some point , but i won't be surprised if it doesn't happen before summer break.
Just be aware of what has been going on since February 2016
Like i often said , this bill was never meant to help those affected by c24 , and most of the people here won't probably benefit from it !
Don't lose energy and add stress to your life with this .

lilen

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
Bill C6 has a history of being dealt with at the very latest moments ( Hoc passage,from 2nd reading to committee stage in senate , and 3rd reading)
The only issue here is if they go on recess earlier than expected since the bill will most likely go back to senate at some point.
I do believe that social networks have a tremendous power and I'm convinced that the fact it helped a lot to make things go forward at committee stage/3rd reading
At this stage , stressing out is only affecting us . So plan according to the current legislation , should this bill pass and be implemented then you'd be happier and end up saving time .
I think it will pass at some point , but i won't be surprised if it doesn't happen before summer break.
Like i often said , this bill was never meant to help those affected by c24 , and most of the people here won't probably benefit from it !
no stress, li
exactly

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
May I draw your attention to these facts:

This is the current status of bills before the Senate:

As you can see, the last category, which is exactly the category in which C-6 will fall, already has two bills in the pipeline. Even if C-6 were sent to the Senate today, they would first want to finish C-4 and C-7 before they dealt with C-6. So sending the bill to the Senate today would simply mean that a bill would be added to a pile that already has stuff on it. Plus, there are three bills at the third reading stage which is a lot. So there is literally no difference in when the Senate will deal with C-6, no matter if C-6 were sent to the Senate today or next week. In either case, they wouldn't have time before next week.

To add to that, this is the current status of bills before the House:

As you can see, at the moment a huge amount of bills are at second reading in the house, while the committees barely have any bills to deal with (two bills in committee is nothing in the HoC). You can clearly see how things are piling up the Second Reading box and the Commitee and third Reading boxes are empty (or close to empty).

So let me ask you this: If you were the person in charge of deciding what bills to deal with in the HoC and you observe these two things:
  • The Senate won't be ready to deal with C-6 until next week at the least.
  • There are too many bills at Second Reading in the HoC and the committees have barely anything to do.
So: What would you decide to deal with today?!

lilen

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016

As you can see, the last category, which is exactly the category in which C-6 will fall, already has two bills in the pipeline. Even if C-6 were sent to the Senate today, they would first want to finish C-4 and C-7 before they dealt with C-6. So sending the bill to the Senate today would simply mean that a bill would be added to a pile that already has stuff on it. Plus, there are three bills at the third reading stage which is a lot. So there is literally no difference in when the Senate will deal with C-6, no matter if C-6 were sent to the Senate today or next week. In either case, they wouldn't have time before next week.

As you can see, at the moment a huge amount of bills are at second reading in the house, while the committees barely have any bills to deal with (two bills in committee is nothing in the HoC). You can clearly see how things are piling up the Second Reading box and the Commitee and third Reading boxes are empty (or close to empty).

So let me ask you this: If you were the person in charge of deciding what bills to deal with in the HoC and you observe these two things:
  • There are too many bills at Second Reading in the HoC and the committees have barely anything to do.
ur absolutely right

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016

You're a good guy, Spyfy, for collating all of this information and for interpreting it towards helping those of us who've spent over a year now ardently, assiduously, & earnestly following C-6's progress through Parliament understand just what the Hell is going on here. But for those of us who took Chagger's advice a couple of weeks ago that C-6 would be being dealt with immediately after last week's break, its evident non-starterness now is a bitter pill to swallow. Perhaps with your parliamentary insight you might be able to explain to me just why the very Minister concerned (A. Hussen) has been doing the garden party and horse racing circuit in top hat & tails in England this month while C-6 has sat at the gate in Ottawa now since May 3rd?

vancouverbc2013

Sep 20, 2013

Lol it totally totally makes sense!!! So smart! So the focus is to fill-up 3rd reading and finishing up with second reading....
If you were a politicien I think I would totally vote for you!

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Lol it totally totally makes sense!!! So smart! So the focus is to fill-up 3rd reading and finishing up with second reading....
If you were a politicien I think I would totally vote for you!
I think the political reality going on here (which Spyfy's probably too polite to alight upon) is that the Conservatives are likely strategising behind-the-scenes to further delay (and hopefully, from their perspective, thwart) Bill C-6 by cleverly and deviously offering to horse-trade with the Government on other bills' progresses/passages in exchange for further delaying C-6's progress.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
You're a good guy, Spyfy, for collating all of this information and for interpreting it towards helping those of us who've spent over a year now ardently, assiduously, & earnestly following C-6's progress through Parliament understand just what the Hell is going on here. But for those of us who took Chagger's advice a couple of weeks ago that C-6 would be being dealt with immediately after last week's break, its evident non-starterness now is a bitter pill to swallow. Perhaps with your parliamentary insight you might be able to explain to me just why the very Minister concerned (A. Hussen) has been doing the garden party and horse racing circuit in top hat & tails in England this month while C-6 has sat at the gate in Ottawa now since May 3rd?
This is what Chagger said on May 18 (I'm paraphrasing):
- Monday C-6
- Tuesday C-46
- Wednesday C-46
- Thursday allotted day (i.e. budget)

This is what really happened:
- Monday C-46
- Tuesday C-45
- Wednesday C-46
- Thursday allotted day

This is pretty close to the plans that she announced before the break. Plans can change. I don't recall her saying "We guarantee that this will be the order next week" or "We promise this will be the order". All that happened is that some opposition MP asked what the plan for the week were and she said what the plan looked like at that time.

If you want me to speculate on the reasons for the change, here are some:
- Over the break, they had the time to look at the status of bills in both Houses in detail and adjusted the schedule accordingly. Possibly they realized exactly what I was pointing out above?
- The staff responsible for writing the motion regarding C-6 needs some extra days to draft that motion.
- The minister had to change travel plans at the last minute and couldn't be present on particular days in parliament. Naturally it doesn't make sense to debate C-6 without the responsible minister.
- this list could go on and on.

What I'm trying to say is:
Some people in this forum have insanely high expectations regarding the parliamentary schedule. Anyone who works in an office-based job must have experienced first hand that plans change on the last minute and no matter how well you plan ahead, things might come differently.
Parliamentarians are humans just like us, you can't reasonably expect them to have 100% foresight.

Also some other remarks:
- It makes literally no noticeable difference for any of us if this bill passes next week or in two weeks. Literally no difference (because once we apply for citizenship, you won't be able to plan processing time by the week).
- So I don't understand why so many people freak out just because things change by a day or two.
- You say "Perhaps with your parliamentary insight you might be able to explain to me just why the very Minister concerned (A. Hussen) has been doing the garden party and horse racing circuit in top hat & tails in England this month while C-6 has sat at the gate in Ottawa now since May 3rd?" I guess mostly you just wanted to be a bit sarcastic, but I don't think even you believe that the Minister did nothing in England but visiting a horse race. Also, international travel plans are made months in advance and take huge efforts of planning between the offices, do you really expect the British and Canadian government to cancel a travel schedule just so that some bill passes some weeks earlier?!

My most important remark, however, is this one:
Have a look at the progress of this bill and note that
1. Last year Bill C-6 spent three months in the house of commons. That is totally normal.
2. It took the Senate eight months to bring it to committee. <--- This is the long one.
3. It spent two weeks in the Senate in committee. That is totally normal.
4. It spent 6-8 weeks at third reading in the Senate. That is totally normal or maybe just a little bit longer than usual.
5. It will probably have spent about 6-8 weeks in the House of Commons right now. That is totally normal.

Please note that there is only one step in this process that was unusually long. That is Step 2. During all other steps, the bill moved at completely normal speed. And please don't come me with "C-24 passed the Senate in nine days". That's because the Harper government did not respect parliamentary procedure and made his caucus hammer everything through the Senate.

So to everyone who is super anxious, nervous and disappointed, I ask you very much to take a step back and think about this:
Yes, Step 2 took forever. But since then, everything has been going normal. So there is really no good reason to panic so much and to be so impatient. I understand why your first reaction might be frustration and impatience. I am in the same situation as most people in this thread. It is only human to get frustrated over it. But it is also human to then take a step back and realize that things aren't as bad as they seem.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I think the political reality going on here (which Spyfy's probably too polite to alight upon) is that the Conservatives are likely strategising behind-the-scenes to further delay (and hopefully, from their perspective, thwart) Bill C-6 by cleverly and deviously offering to horse-trade with the Government on other bills' progresses/passages in exchange for further delaying C-6's progress.
With all due respect, this is complete speculation. You are also vastly overestimating the influence the Opposition has in the House of Commons. They basically have zero influence the House because the schedule is dictated by the government except on "Opposition Days". The government has been pushing through bill after bill after bill in the last weeks using Time Allocation Motions. Back room deals like this don't happen.

So I would suggest to file this under "conspiracy theory".