Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Joshua1 said:
Very useful info! Thanks!

Based on some of these precedents, in my opinion, it's reasonable to assume the bill getting Royal Assent by July 1 (A lot of those timelines were within 2 months - in cases where HoC disagreed with Senate amendments).
Hem, if you check the link, Bill C-14 took 2 days
To simplify what happened with C-14:
June 15, 2016: 3rd reading with amendments (which is supposed to be today for us?)
June 16, 2016: HoC disagreed with certain amendments (May 4th 2017 for us?)
June 17, 2016: Senate accepted and did not insist to keep all amendments (May 9th 2017 for us?)
June 17, 2016: Royal Assent (May 9th 2017 for us?)

Now for C-2, it took 2 months because the Senate insisted to keep amendments but Senator Jaffer told us in a tweet that it's very unlikely and very rare to happen.
So, THEORETICALLY, we COULD have Royal Assent on May 9th. We'll see.

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
C-7 has been in House of Commons waiting for reviewing amendments since June 2016 (almost a year).
C-14 had deadline from the supreme court and it's total different story and not comparable.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
canadasucks said:
C-7 has been in House of Commons waiting for reviewing amendments since June 2016 (almost a year).
C-14 had deadline from the supreme court and it's total different story and not comparable.
We will see, I guess.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
MarceauBletard said:
Hem, if you check the link, Bill C-14 took 2 days
To simplify what happened with C-14:
June 15, 2016: 3rd reading with amendments (which is supposed to be today for us?)
June 16, 2016: HoC disagreed with certain amendments (May 4th 2017 for us?)
June 17, 2016: Senate accepted and did not insist to keep all amendments (May 9th 2017 for us?)
June 17, 2016: Royal Assent (May 9th 2017 for us?)

Now for C-2, it took 2 months because the Senate insisted to keep amendments but Senator Jaffer told us in a tweet that it's very unlikely and very rare to happen.
So, THEORETICALLY, we COULD have Royal Assent on May 9th. We'll see.
Regarding Bill C-14, keep in mind that it was the assisted dying bill and the Supreme Court has told parliament to pass a law regarding that ASAP, so there was a big rush going on. 2 days is exceptionally fast. But still, as you can see in this list, things get dealt with within a reasonable timeframe.

It is indeed common that if the HoC refuses particular amendments, that the Senate bows to "the will of the people" and doesn't insist on them.

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
canadasucks said:
I guess C-7 wasn't among Trudeau's promises. So, I still have high expectations for C6 in the HoC.
And let's please stop speculating on possible C6 delays in Hoc. Hopefully it won't happened. Let's keep our fingers crossed

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Varangian said:
I guess C-7 wasn't among Trudeau's promises. So, I still have high expectations for C6 in the HoC.
And let's please stop speculating on possible C6 delays in Hoc. Hopefully it won't happened. Let's keep our fingers crossed
C-7 was backed by the supreme court which has to be delivered, same as C-14, the only difference is C-7 had no deadline like C-14. So they are both more important than election promises.

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Among all the HoC bills being returned from Senate in this government, only C-14, C-2, C-15 and C-29 were reviewed within days because they all had deadlines (C-14 had deadline from the supreme court, C-2 had deadline of tax year, C-15 and C-29 were budget bills to fund the government). C-4 has been held since April 12 and C-7 has been held since June 2016. Since C-6 has no deadline, it may be in the same situation.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
canadasucks said:
C-7 was backed by the supreme court which has to be delivered, same as C-14, the only difference is C-7 had no deadline like C-14. So they are both more important than election promises.
Those bills are different in nature. C-7 - "An Act to amend the Public Service Labour Relations Act, the Public Service Labour Relations and Employment Board Act and other Acts and to provide for certain other measures" is a more complex bill that concerns public sector unions and employees and benefits etc. Canada has a very strong Union culture, so it's not surprising for such a bill to stall.

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
C-7 has been considered dead by the governement, it will languish on the order paper until the next governement, they replaced it by a new bill

WeazyF

Star Member
Mar 20, 2013
Can someone post those links where we send MPs letters so they can start thinking about amendments that are coming especially Bardish Chagger. We all need to be proactive because this is the last stretch. Good luck everyone

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
WeazyF said:
Can someone post those links where we send MPs letters so they can start thinking about amendments that are coming especially Bardish Chagger. We all need to be proactive because this is the last stretch. Good luck everyone
Personally, I wouldn't like this approach sending letters to MPs! It's just annoying. Might even work opposite way. But this is my own opinion.

WeazyF

Star Member
Mar 20, 2013
Varangian said:
Personally, I wouldn't like this approach sending letters to MPs! It's just annoying. Might even work opposite way. But this is my own opinion.
Well that's your opinion, I have gotten feedback a lot of times from Senators and MPs regarding their positions. Its not like if you send them an email you will break their mail box or they will catch feelings that you're bugging them. This is a free country and we utilize whatever influence we have to make things work, that's the political process. When you stay quiet then people don't understand what we go through. I and a couple of folks have been in Canada for 12 yrs and we aren't citizens, we have used emails to lobby as well as folks within the PMs office to ensure there's focus on this bill.
I'll give you a vivid example, when I applied for PR, it was taking too long and my MP then was Stephen Harper, I emailed and called his office weekly until they reached out to CIC and we found out my file had been finalized 6months prior but no one sent out email for my passport request. So think about it if you don't ask you don't get what's yours at times.
Pls email your MPs its important.
Thanks folks!!!