spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
screech339 said:
Are you telling that my wife was not "temporary resident" as a visitor. She has gotten OHIP while awaiting PR sponsorship? I thought visitors are not entitled to provincial health plans since they are not "temporary resident". Your argument is flawed. Since my wife has "temporary resident" as a visitor, should you argue that my wife should have access to "pre-PR credit" since she is "temporary residents". If visitors in Canada are not temporary residing in Canada, what are they doing in Canada? Where are all they staying at? They all need a place to stay in Canada. It's called being a resident. Thus called "temporary residents", thus no different between all those who have visas.
I have given an elaborate argument above, many other forum members have chimed in supporting my position. So if you want to uphold your position and can't (or, my guess is, don't want to) understand what the word "resident" means, I have no problem with that. Why am I even trying to convince you? I think I am that guy on the computer right now:

So have a nice day and stick to your opinion. No problem with me. Let's get back to topic.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
spyfy said:
(1) Visitors are in Canada temporarily. They are not temporary residents.
(2) People on study permits and work permits are in Canada might or might not be in Canada temporarily, only time will tell. At the same time they are temporary residents.
Just so you know, CIC disagrees with you. The website clearly states that visitors, students and workers ALL have temporary resident status in Canada

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Are you telling that my wife was not "temporary resident" as a visitor. She has gotten OHIP while awaiting PR sponsorship? I thought visitors are not entitled to provincial health plans since they are not "temporary resident". Your argument is flawed. Since my wife has "temporary resident" as a visitor, should you argue that my wife should have access to "pre-PR credit" since she is "temporary residents". If visitors in Canada are not temporary residing in Canada, what are they doing in Canada? Where are all they staying at? They all need a place to stay in Canada. It's called being a resident. Thus called "temporary residents", thus no different between all those who have visas.
Ohh.. so that's why you are pissed about pre-pr credit for students/workers... Your wife does not get any credit while student/workers can get such credit, so you believe pre-pr credit must be nuked. You should have started with it, and we would not have such a long 'debate' :)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
torontosm said:
Just so you know, CIC disagrees with you. The website clearly states that visitors, students and workers ALL have temporary resident status in Canada

Yup, I mixed something up while being hasty in composing the post. But the core of my argument stands, namely that the statuses aren't the same regarding the privileges you get and the statements you have to make during application.

Meanwhile, being a temporary resident or permanent resident is independent of being a resident of Canada. We all know you can be a PR without being a resident of Canada.

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
How about protect person before get PR ? Is count a half day for them ?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
burnin said:
You don't even need to go that far. Students can go to school while visitors can not. Workers can work and get OHIP while visitors can not. So there is at the basic level, differences between visitors and students/workers
Students can go to school and get health coverage because that is that they applied for. Workers can work and get OHIP because that is what they applied for. In other words, it's all part of the package of a temporary study or work visa. It doesn't entitled them to credit it towards citizenship just because they paid taxes or have health coverage. Visitor don't get health coverage because it is not part of the package. Visitors pay taxes called GST or HST too, you know. Does this entitled them to citizenship credit? Again sense of entitlement is showing among students/workers and they feel they should be treated differently from visitors. Does this means you are all okay with "2 tier" citizenship? If visitors are not "temporary residents" like "workers or students" as that is an example of "2 tier" temporary residents people have been arguing against? Are they all guaranteed to re-enter Canada after they leave? It all doesn't change the basic fact that they are all "temporary residents" of Canada.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
screech339 said:
Students can go to school and get health coverage because that is that they applied for. Workers can work and get OHIP because that is what they applied for. In other words, it's all part of the package of a temporary study or work visa. It doesn't entitled them to credit it towards citizenship just because they paid taxes or have health coverage. Visitor don't get health coverage because it is not part of the package. Visitors pay taxes called GST or HST too, you know. Does this entitled them to citizenship credit? Again sense of entitlement is showing among students/workers and they feel they should be treated differently from visitors. Does this means you are all okay with "2 tier" citizenship? If visitors are not "temporary residents" like "workers or students" as that is an example of "2 tier" temporary residents people have been arguing against? Are they all guaranteed to re-enter Canada after they leave? It all doesn't change the basic fact that they are all "temporary residents" of Canada.
The only thing that entitles people to resident credit or not is a law. Parliament intends to change that law. If they change that law, some particular people are entitled to residence credit and some aren't. That's what laws do, they define who is entitled to what.

You are entitled to your own opinion and can oppose that credit. Thankfully, it is neither you nor me who enacts laws in Canada and who is entitled to what. It is the Parliament to Canada. So while you are more than welcome to find that good or bad you can't claim it is illegal or fraud. Laws define what is illegal or fraud. Not you. Not me.

No one cares about taxes, health coverage or any other stuff.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Nah. Forget it. I didn't follow my own goal to ignore you because we are off topic.

Again, have a great day.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
vasyok said:
Ohh.. so that's why you are pissed about pre-pr credit for students/workers... Your wife does not get any credit while student/workers can get such credit, so you believe pre-pr credit must be nuked. You should have started with it, and we would not have such a long 'debate' :)
You do realized that pre-pr credit was given to visitors, students and workers under 3/4 rule. I am all for fairness, so if temporary resident students and workers can claim credit for citizenship, you can bet that some spouse/common law under visitor status will sue the government for equal treatment for citizenship credit under argument that they have the same "temporary residents" status of Canada as workers and students. Guess what, they would have a valid claim to it.

Why would I be p*ssed about my wife not getting pre-pr credit? Besides my wife will qualify under 4/6 rule this year and doesn't need pre-pr credit for citizenship by then. I rather her get a faster citizenship process than under 3/4 rule.

burnin

May 25, 2008
screech339 said:
But the requirements for coming as a student/worker are a lot stricter than a regular visitor BECAUSE there is the expectation that these people are more likely to end up as PR/Canadians because they typically spend a lot more time in Canada and assimilate. Workers will also have proven that they can contribute positively to the workforce. Students/Workers are more valuable to the Canadian government because they are basically able to trial them in Canada to make sure they are a good fit.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
torontosm said:

Semantics!

A bicycle and a truck are both considered vehicles as it pertains to traffic but we all know they are different