+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

aarongirl

Jun 20, 2014
jrjayl said:
That is absolutely a good news for most of us, if what she said was the actual plan. Thanks for the information!
Does it mean language & age requirement and other requirements except new residency requirement will all come into force Around July 19 2014? OMG

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
marcus66502 said:
Guys, I thought I'd share this!

I just called CIC myself too. I spoke to a nice French lady and asked her if she'd be able to give me a more precise date when the new residency requirement would take effect. I told her the official CIC website said it would take effect in approximately one year and I tried to cry 'desperate' by telling her I'll be cutting it close in terms of applying myself because the earliest date I'll be eligible to apply is June 2, 2015 (which is true). So I said it would help me a lot if she could give me a more precise date.

She put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back and said the new residence requirement will take effect July 19, 2015. I asked her if this was final. She said as far as she could tell, yes. Then I said "so on June 2nd of next year I should still be able to apply under the current residence requirement." She said "Yes, you should be able to." Conversation ended after mutual wishes for a great weekend.

If this lady was the real authority on this issue, she should give a lot of people comfort (although, unfortunately, that won't be everybody).

Part of me still doesn't feel up for celebrating though. I don't know. There's something about CIC and the Minister that I just don't trust. I'll be sleeping better when I send an application next year and it gets received.
Just to confirm my friend .. is it June 19,2015 (a year after royal assent) or July 19,2015 (a year and a month) :)

jrjayl

Oct 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aarongirl said:
Does it mean language & age requirement and other requirements except new residency requirement will all come into force Around July 19 2014? OMG
For that we still have no clue yet. CIC has not announced any date of implementation for any part of the bill. Those are still guesses.

mqbh

Jun 16, 2014
civic said:
With this and the minister can still guarantee less than one year processing time by end of next year. Let's see and hope. I think processing time will improve significantly in coming months. and most of us are saved under old system. wish they announced implementation date sooner.
I do not understand how the bill C-24 approval will reduce backlog in near future unless its residency requirement / Pre-PR time / judges elimination clauses become effective immediately. In my view, the process time should increase until residency requirement increase because now PRs who are already qualified or will qualify before the new law effectiveness would rush to submit applications as we have seen on this forum. In addition, implementation of LOST Canadian clauses upon the Royal Accent will also increase flow of applications from now onward. However, they can reduce the processing time if by good luck, CIC increases its resources to do so or they find some reason to reject most of the applications and process the few remaining faster.

Can someone explain for my understanding how at present processing times will be reduced based on passing of C-24.

pat2014

Jun 20, 2014
The current processing time is 2-3 years, but with the new procedures it should be within a year i think. (not sure)

So I am wondering if someone applied now, then they will have to wait 2-3 years, but if someone applied after the bill is enforce then they will have to wait about 1 year or less.

isn't the end result the same? the total wait time i mean?

aarongirl

Jun 20, 2014
paw339 said:
aarongirl I think your mom has a good chance of not having to meet the new language requirements but thats just a guess, but long term is that a good thing?
I dont think my mom can pass the language test. LOL

May 22, 2014
marcus66502 said:
Guys, I thought I'd share this!

I just called CIC myself too. I spoke to a nice French lady and asked her if she'd be able to give me a more precise date when the new residency requirement would take effect. I told her the official CIC website said it would take effect in approximately one year and I tried to cry 'desperate' by telling her I'll be cutting it close in terms of applying myself because the earliest date I'll be eligible to apply is June 2, 2015 (which is true). So I said it would help me a lot if she could give me a more precise date.

She put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back and said the new residence requirement will take effect July 19, 2015. I asked her if this was final. She said as far as she could tell, yes. Then I said "so on June 2nd of next year I should still be able to apply under the current residence requirement." She said "Yes, you should be able to." Conversation ended after mutual wishes for a great weekend.

If this lady was the real authority on this issue, she should give a lot of people comfort (although, unfortunately, that won't be everybody).

Part of me still doesn't feel up for celebrating though. I don't know. There's something about CIC and the Minister that I just don't trust. I'll be sleeping better when I send an application next year and it gets received.
This makes sense. There is a federal election in October 2015 and there will be a big song and dance when this takes effect in July 2015. As we would be in full election campaign mode and the govt can strategically use this (plus other acts e.g fair elections act etc) to their political advantage.

The govt know enacting this will take time (up to 1 year as the processes really need to change and that takes time), which is why they needed to pass it summer 2014 as if it got delayed and they passed it after the 2014 summer break (September 2014) they would most likely need to have it coming into force in Sept/October 2015, which wont fit their political interest/they would be too focused on campaigning!

It is sad to see that Bill C-24 is a political tool with a nice wrapping of some interest to revamp the Canadian Citizenship law.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
sicko86 said:
Just to confirm my friend .. is it June 19,2015 (a year after royal assent) or July 19,2015 (a year and a month) :)
No no, she said July 19, 2015, so 13 months from now. I wondered about this too during the phone call and I repeated to her the date she quoted just to make sure I got it right. She confirmed it is July 19, 2015.

Again, I'm not saying this is official or set in stone. It's just what the CIC agent said, so feel free to take it for what it's worth to you. She could have just said she wasn't sure, like many other agents but instead she took the trouble and went to her supervisor to find out. She put me on hold for this for a few minutes actually.

It would be nice if I could find this date spelled out somewhere in the official orders of the Governor-in-Council but I haven't been able to locate them.

And just to clarify, I only asked the agent about the new residency requirement. I didn't ask her about any other provisions.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
pat2014 said:
The current processing time is 2-3 years, but with the new procedures it should be within a year i think. (not sure)

So I am wondering if someone applied now, then they will have to wait 2-3 years, but if someone applied after the bill is enforce then they will have to wait about 1 year or less.

isn't the end result the same? the total wait time i mean?
Not really, once you apply you will feel much lighter and the pressure of intent to reside would be far less, one moving across the border or planning for studies or work in US will be far better off than just waiting one or two more years. So it depends person to person and on different plans set by the individuals.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have also seen applications in 2013 and onward have processed faster than the ones from 2012, 2013

mqbh

Jun 16, 2014
shaazdeh said:
I also have seen applications in 2013 and onward process faster to compare with the ones from 2012, 2013
I also have same observation but this is happening before C-24 passed.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mqbh said:
I also have same observation but this is happening before C-24 passed.
I don't think that would have any impact... One of the reasons, they increased the fee to $400 was to hire more people and speed up the process....

mqbh

Jun 16, 2014
shaazdeh said:
I don't think that would have any impact... One of the reasons, they increased the fee to $400 was to hire more people and speed up the process....
Yes. Fee increase can be the reason.

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
The government is smart, passed the law this year, but will not be effective his year for many reasons:
1. It will be under attack of many Canada wide demonstrations from hose who were affected and this is not good for their next 2015 elections
2. The up coming applicants of 2015, will find a law that was for one year ahead of them so they will accept it as a normal thing that they came and found before them
3. Gets time to updates the new immigration system soft wares and reforms and train their immigration officers and update the forms and related changes

However, there many reforms are applied when the royal assent was granted and some in July 2014, these will be shown on the immigration website soon