Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
Who said anything about years?

I am talking about the minister being able to revoke citizenships instead of courts.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought this forum was mainly for people who hope to acquire Canadian citizenship. If so, the new requirements, including the change to the number of years is very important here. While I agree that the section of C-24 dealing with the revocation of citizenship is unconstitutional, that has no bearing on the rules for becoming a citizen. Therefore, to raise hope here that the entire law will be thrown out by a court, is unfortunate. In any case, court challenges take years. By the time the Supreme Court issues a ruling, everyone here will have their 4 years in!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
Dude you are the only one talking about the years lol
Really? So no one in this forum is concerned about the raising of the requirement for citizenship from 3 to 4 years?? Could have fooled me! What I see is a bunch of people rushing to get their applications in before the new law takes effect. If that isn't a concern about years, I don't know what is!

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
flamingteeth said:
this means that the b-24 is not in the list today, therefore, at least it will NOT be on today.
There will be another royal assessment before the summer break?
Summer break has nothing to do with Royal Assent---Assent can be granted as long as The Governor General or The Administrator of Canada (one of the Supreme Court Justices in the absence of the GG) is present in Ottawa

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alphazip said:
Really? So no one in this forum is concerned about the raising of the requirement for citizenship from 3 to 4 years?? Could have fooled me! What I see is a bunch of people rushing to get their applications in before the new law takes effect. If that isn't a concern about years, I don't know what is!
Did you just get on this topic?

pengyuen

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2011
Med's Request
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
LANDED..........
17-10-2011
alphazip said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought this forum was mainly for people who hope to acquire Canadian citizenship. If so, the new requirements, including the change to the number of years is very important here. While I agree that the section of C-24 dealing with the revocation of citizenship is unconstitutional, that has no bearing on the rules for becoming a citizen. Therefore, to raise hope here that the entire law will be thrown out by a court, is unfortunate. In any case, court challenges take years. By the time the Supreme Court issues a ruling, everyone here will have their 4 years in!
Hi,
Does anyone know under what circumstances your Canadian citizenship is revocable?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
Did you just get on this topic?
No, but I think you did. You want to discuss court challenges for people who are already dual citizens (Canadian, plus another), while this group is for people who aren't yet even Canadian citizens! Look at the title at the top of the page. See Canadavisa IMMIGRATION forum? Maybe there's a constitutional law forum somewhere else you could join.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alphazip said:
No, but I think you did. You want to discuss court challenges for people who are already dual citizens (Canadian, plus another), while this group is for people who aren't yet even Canadian citizens! Look at the title at the top of the page. See Canadavisa IMMIGRATION forum? Maybe there's a constitutional law forum somewhere else you could join.
Lol

Back to topic...

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
us2yow said:
such a joke.... it is so glaringly in violation on the dual citizens proposal front..the whole world literally is crying foul on its constitutionality..
The "whole world"? Really? You mean the group of immigration lawyers whose business will be directly and adversely impacted by this Bill? Or do you mean the lone lawyer who defended a convicted terrorist and who is trying to get free publicity by raising a stink about the issue?

As far as I can see, no court has yet "cried foul" on its constitutionality so I will reserve my opinion until someone more informed opines on it.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
The "whole world"? Really? You mean the group of immigration lawyers whose business will be directly and adversely impacted by this Bill? Or do you mean the lone lawyer who defended a convicted terrorist and who is trying to get free publicity by raising a stink about the issue?

As far as I can see, no court has yet "cried foul" on its constitutionality so I will reserve my opinion until someone more informed opines on it.
How is that less work for lawyers? Please explain.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
CanV said:
How is that less work for lawyers? Please explain.
Maybe they can find work defending this chap... http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/farah-mohamed-shirdon-of-calgary-fighting-with-islamic-state-of-iraq-and-syria

Interesting quote from the article.
After burning his passport and uttering threats of violence, it is unlikely Shirdon will be allowed back into Canada.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
alphazip said:
I agree, we had lot of discussion on the number of years, the most importantly when we boarded a plane to Canada with destination Canadian Citizenship we were told that after three years we will be eligible/ landing for Canadian Citizenship but right before landing the Captain of plane telling us you cannot land unless you pay extra cost for Citizenship, is it not a fraud?

Why people who made up all of their plans based on 3 years now required to spend 4 years, for some us even next 5 more years not problem but for some even a week more can disturb the whole planning, for example, if I want to go to state for better and higher education for Masters in Petroleum Engineering in coming September, I cannot do so now as I would be out for 2 years in US or may be more. Plan was complete 3 years of residency in August, 14 and join Stanford in Petroleum Engineering Department in September, 2014. Now whole plan gone.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/fair-elections-act-among-10-bills-poised-to-become-law-today/article19235083/?service=mobile
dont forget a bill can pass 3rd reading and receive royal assent at the SAME DAY@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
txboyscout said:
Summer break has nothing to do with Royal Assent---Assent can be granted as long as The Governor General or The Administrator of Canada (one of the Supreme Court Justices in the absence of the GG) is present in Ottawa
Royal assent usually happen in the senate and that is happening either today or tmw, but no later than next friday, senate's last sitting day

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
of course i hope it wont receive royal assent today but the chance of it will remains.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
YAWN.....to you know whose posting.

Also...Hasher......are you kidding ? Giving up prestigious Stanford......no way! If I got into Harvard ....I would go in a Heartbeat !!! .....think big picture.....you live once...go to Stanford!!

Just do it! Like Nike says