+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I would never have applied under the EOI model -- my wife and I needed to make a definite choice as to our future,and we knew that with our points, my verified work experience, and clear police record, that we would be accepted. Applying to an immigration program where you sit in a file and get chosen isn't an application, it's a market. How can you make plans in your own country, without knowing if your application will succeed? Because of people's inherent optimism, this EOI is going to get a massive number of shot-in-the-dark applications that just sit there.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
us2yow said:
I think, besides the fact that they will need all Fall to upgrade systems and things, they also want enough lead time to probably coincide updated systems with the formal Jan 1, 2015 launch of the new Express Entry Program ( the Expression of Interest Program aka informally known as "you don't call us...we will call you" (if you match our needs))

The EOI model, on a related note, has totally changed the discussion going from a supply side model to a demand side one.

Earlier, pretty much "every friggin" PR application through the FSW program they got had to be processed and included (and yes, it seemed like they were making lots of $$ but remember the scandalous backlogs and inability to process bucket loads of applications).

In short, the EOI approach has made it more selective and probably reduced overall intakes with much more selectivity now (I don't want to venture into whether this is their way of also controlling what "types of people" they want (ahem..this could be anything but I shan't go there))
Why don't they upgrade their systems with the same efficiency as that evident in their processing of the various applications at CIC?

That would give us another worry-free 2-3 years :).

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just want to correct something here.

Second reading is NOT done. Committee meeting and report are part of the second reading.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
on-hold,

you are right. We should take a step back and be thankful for having made it in when the old FSW program was in place. And we are qualified professionals - so we needn't feel guilty and go..."yay we got in !" but maybe we should do a bit of that too.

The paradigm shift to the Demand side model is HUUUUUUUUGE ! Now, even the most qualified person who gets chosen to the part of the "pool" is not guaranteed - as I understand the system - of being ultimately invited to put in a PR application.

So, its a 2 step process. And actually it's like the process the Canadian Public Service uses to create job pools. You take exams, go through clearances etc to merely qualify to be part of a database which they COULD access IF they were looking for these skills WHEN they need it..you can already seem so many conditionals...in other words.... it AINT LIKE THE OLD FSW ANYMORE. and sorry for the pun....but the EOI applicants will perpetually be "on-hold" not even knowing if Canada will invite them to apply (so even being in the pool gives an artificial sense of "I am almost there" because they are not ! ) Those days are all but gone....

And I dare say it was necessary to transition to the EOI or the system would have exploded for the lack of capacity both to process (at the CIC level) but also societally to absorb the many more who would have come in had the OLD FSW system still been in place

sthaeem

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
shaazdeh said:
I just want to correct something here.

Second reading is NOT done. Committee meeting and report are part of the second reading.
Minutes from May 28th meeting:

It was agreed, — It was agreed - That, with respect to Bill C-24, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts, tabled in the House of Commons on February 6th, 2014:

When and if the Committee receives an Order of Reference in relation to the Bill, the Committee proceed to clause-by-clause consideration of the Bill no later than Monday, June 2nd, 2014, provided that if the Committee has not completed clause-by-clause consideration by 11:30 p.m. the following day, Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014, all remaining amendments submitted to the Committee shall be deemed moved, and the Chair shall put the question, forthwith and successively, without further debate, on all remaining clauses and amendments submitted to the Committee, as well as every other question necessary (i) to dispose of clause-by-clause consideration of the Bill, (ii) to report the Bill to the House, and (iii) to order the Chair to report the Bill to the House as early as possible .

It was agreed, — That the Hon. Chris Alexander, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, appear before the Committee on Wednesday, June 4, 2014 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in relation to the subject matter of the Main Estimates 2014-15.

It was agreed, — That the Subcommittee on Agenda and Procedure (SCIM) meet on Wednesday, June 4, 2014 from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus also go to the following link: http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=6627824&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

To me this is very clear that this bill is passing the House in the next week or two. May be also Senate before June 20th. This is the same info I got from NDP MP that Cons want to pass it in June.

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolerance said:
Don't torture the poor guy above, that is his date...

It seems that the bill will go through its motions pretty quickly, but I honestly think the last bit of hope is when the individual parts will be coming into force. They do need some preparation, that is for sure.
Dear Tolerance, You must be joking at this poor guy but he is actually right. I believe government wants to impress the public by boasting they have protected the citizenship or rather strengthen by making it law before Canada day. I am sure they are aiming at it.

Regarding the preparing the CIC, as per new law...they don't have to do much because then the applications would not be assigned to the CJ for every matter that is to be rejected. The decision will be taken at administrative level than at CJ level and moreover their is transition period for that too.

Too bad for those like me who were due to file in June.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
and will this even count ?

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/hon-chris-alexander-pc-mp-canadian-government-stop-bill-c-24-don-t-turn-millions-of-us-into-second-class-canadian-citizens

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
This is a VERY telling comment coming from a Reputable and Respected Immigration Lawyer.. :-X

https://twitter.com/Twimmigration/status/471748716009775104

sarah180

May 29, 2014
Guys, I am eligible to apply for citizenship today. Do you think I should send my application? I am abit confused. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Skakeholder

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarah180 said:
Guys, I am eligible to apply for citizenship today. Do you think I should send my application? I am abit confused. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Go ahead, Sarah!
You're really lucky, unlike me, who's going to wait another year in addition to the remaining 3 month.

sarah180

May 29, 2014
Go ahead, Sarah!
You're really lucky, unlike me, who's going to wait another year in addition to the remaining 3 month.
Thanks, I am just afraid theyll vote tomorrow and return all the recent applications.

om saif

Dec 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i would wait like one week. you can check her for the bill's steps and know when it will go where. for me i will do the same as long as it is not queen's signature stage, i will wait.

sarah180 said:

Thanks

sweetakash

Star Member
Sep 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Transferred to Ottawa CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-SEP-2011
AOR Received.
8-NOV-2011
File Transfer...
8-NOV-2011
Med's Request
8-NOV-2011
Med's Done....
28-NOV-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-JAN-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-JAN-2012
LANDED..........
10-JAN-2012
sarah180 said:

Thanks
Unless you are 100% sure that you have 1095 days of physical residence with all the evidences to prove it, such as boarding passes / all entry exit stamps in place (especially US visits & properly stamped day-trips), do not apply at 1095 days. Accumulate some buffer (say 15-20 days) time in case you end up with some miscalculation or find out later that you missed to declare a US trip as it wasn't stamped on your passport.
If you haven't travelled out of Canada at all, then you are good to go with 1095 days.
Just my view.