+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

SamDan

Dec 18, 2013
sarah180 said:
Guys, I am eligible to apply for citizenship today. Do you think I should send my application? I am abit confused. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

If I were you, I'd start prepping the paperwork NOW, as in tonight. But that's just me.

I'm no lawyer, but you could be risking getting grounded in Canada for the rest of your natural life if this "intend to continue residing" clause passes.

Notice how the proposed bill will:

1- Require citizenship applicants to sign or otherwise declare their intent to continue residing in Canada after getting citizenship.

YET GETTING CITIZENSHIP ALSO REQUIRES YOU TO:

2- Study "Discover Canada" to learn about Canada. The guide which literary states (I'm quoting directly from it):
"The Charter attempts to summarize fundamental
freedoms while also setting out additional rights.
The most important of these include:
Mobility RightsCanadians can live and
work anywhere they choose in Canada, enter
and leave the country freely, and apply for a passport. " [size=12pt]Discover Canada, PAGE 8[/size]

Oooooh, the irony!

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mates just a question i heard there will be voting today of the 2nd reading ?

Is that true ?

And if so can we see the voting on CPAC live ? or will it be a debate ?

Just not sure like any one know where can we see the result of the vote and live broadcast ?

Thanks a lot will wait for reply then

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sweetakash said:
Unless you are 100% sure that you have 1095 days of physical residence with all the evidences to prove it, such as boarding passes / all entry exit stamps in place (especially US visits & properly stamped day-trips), do not apply at 1095 days. Accumulate some buffer (say 15-20 days) time in case you end up with some miscalculation or find out later that you missed to declare a US trip as it wasn't stamped on your passport.
If you haven't travelled out of Canada at all, then you are good to go with 1095 days.
Just my view.
Sure, if you have a chance, apply as early as you can. And don't forget that never in your life you should vote for Conservatives ;)

O_Ca

Feb 21, 2013
I suggest that we are all the victims of this infamous bill should march in front of parliament building to show our refusal for this bill and to hear our voice to the world. We just need someone to organize it.

Conservatives want to impose laws that discriminate against immigrants using their muscles in the parliament.

We expect participation also of Canadian naturalized citizens in the march since this bill will make them 2nd class citizens.

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Is that true ?

Just not sure like any one know where can we see the result of the vote and live broadcast ?

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
turboracer said:

Is that true ?

All the information will appear here (after a short delay): http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Bill=C24&Parl=41&Ses=2
You can also watch live coverage from here: http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/parlvu/

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So far there was no debate and 2nd reading voting on 29.05. Friday C-24 is not in discussion agenda with short hour sitting. Monday will be the extended hour session up to 12.0am midnight. It's not sure if they resume debate on C-24 on Monday or not.

On 28.05 debate few member was accusing minister to rush for raping up debate sooner. One of MP raised question to minister that only 5 (2%) MP so far debated on this bill which means only 2% Canadian has spoken on this bill while minister said there was discussion going on since Feb and he received many emails, letter and most of them are favour of this bill. But the MP said the discussion took place outside parliament .. So, let's see what happens in Monday..

anya

May 24, 2012
torontosm said:
Again, the "intent" clause DOES NOT affect citizens. As stated by MP Ted Falk:

"It is important to note that the new rules would not restrict the mobility rights of new citizens. They would be able to leave and return to the country just like other citizens. Rather, the purpose of the provision is to reinforce an expectation that citizenship is for those who intend to continue to reside in Canada. Once newcomers become citizens, they enjoy all the rights of citizenship common to all Canadians."

So, how exactly does it damage citizenship? And, moreover, if a PR isn't willing to at least state that they intend to reside in Canada, why do they deserve citizenship?
The two statements in bold seem contradictory or maybe I'm not grasping their concept properly.

In one it's said citizens can come and go as they like, but then second one says 'citizenship' is for those who intend to stay. By 'citizenship' if they mean the benefits etc then it makes sense but if it's something else then I don't get it.

I understand it does not make sense for someone living abroad for many years and coming to Canada to claim benefits like it's mentioned in many posts but can they even enter the country as Canadians if they have lived abroad for any reason as it's said 'citizenship' is only for those who intend to stay?

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
rayman_m said:
So far there was no debate and 2nd reading voting on 29.05. Friday C-24 is not in discussion agenda with short hour sitting. Monday will be the extended hour session up to 12.0am midnight. It's not sure if they resume debate on C-24 on Monday or not.

On 28.05 debate few member was accusing minister to rush for raping up debate sooner. One of MP raised question to minister that only 5 (2%) MP so far debated on this bill which means only 2% Canadian has spoken on this bill while minister said there was discussion going on since Feb and he received many emails, letter and most of them are favour of this bill. But the MP said the discussion took place outside parliament .. So, let's see what happens in Monday..
Seriously...
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HouseChamberBusiness/ChamberVoteDetail.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2&FltrParl=41&FltrSes=2&Vote=158

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A very SAD thing happened to this Country ! We can strongly say the Conservatives are expanding the discrimination against all newcomers and Canadian citizens.
It's so sad ...

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Second reading passed. The NDPs did a great job. There were always 10 to 15 people during the debating period all the time from NDP on this bill. They all raised excellent valid points. Also NDP members from Quebec were so passionate about the fallout of this heinous bill. Great job NDPs, outstandingly impressive.

PS: From Liberal party all the time we only had Mr. Lemeroux fighting this bill once in a very rare while. Quite disappointing.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
the committee will finish studying by june 3 so are we seeing what we are so afraid of , that the bill will be passed all stages and become law soon?

echorael

Star Member
Apr 4, 2012
Hi all:
Please if any one know please share information. After passing this bill. What will be the situation for someone who will apply and confirm his intention to reside in Canada but later is forced to leave the country with his spouse who is already a naturalized Canadian citizen before the new bill coming in force???. Is such person will be deemed as violated his intention to live in Canada? Thank you in advance for answering.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
u4g5 said:
the committee will finish studying by june 3 so are we seeing what we are so afraid of , that the bill will be passed all stages and become law soon?
If you look at the voting for #154, #157 and #158 ( http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&billId=6401990&Mode=1&View=5 ) you can see that it will just be forced through...

The votes are pretty much along party lines, and the Cons hold the power, by a very large margin.

How soon is "soon"? Nobody knows. ( http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=6401990&View=6 )