+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

RAY2112

Jul 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Procedure-Book-Livre/Document.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&sbdid=DA2AC62F-BB39-4E5F-9F7D-90BA3496D0A6&sbpid=9315B6D6-6BEE-4823-9723-425A74F9E290

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PLEASE JOIN and SHARE !

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/hon-chris-alexander-pc-mp-canadian-government-stop-bill-c-24-don-t-turn-millions-of-us-into-second-class-canadian-citizens

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Zardoz is right -- this bill has an excellent chance of passing very soon. I don't know if the CIMM committee will officially allocate time or not at the start of the study, but at this point, I would presume it is going to go back to the full House of Commons for the 3rd reading before the summer break, and then go to the Senate for three readings on three consecutive days. Why would CIMM allocate a lot of time for study, when the majority has no intention of changing it? The one variable now is implementation, which is not a legislative process; none of us have any idea what the schedule for that is going to be. Some people below have made some good arguments for one thing or another, but there is just no way to know.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
hussinhamid said:
the latest on the parliament site
Vote #157 on May 29th, 2014

Bill
C-24 An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts

Vote topic
That the motion be amended by deleting all the words after the word “That” and substituting the following:

“the House decline to give second reading to Bill C-24, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts, because it:

( a) does not provide an adequate solution for reducing citizenship application processing times, which have been steadily increasing;

( b) puts significant new powers in the hands of the Minister that will allow this government to politicize the granting of Canadian citizenship;

( c) gives the Minister the power to revoke citizenship, which will deny some Canadians access to a fair trial in Canada and will raise serious questions since Canadian law already includes mechanisms to punish those who engage in unlawful acts; and

( d) includes a declaration of intent to reside provision, which in fact gives officials the power to speculate on the intent of a citizenship applicant and then potentially deny citizenship based on this conjecture.”.
This vote had already been taken by the time you posted, and failed. In fact, Vote #158 followed it, and passed.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2nd reading completed on 29.05 and referred to committee. It's now up to committee whether they will take some time to study and come up report with amendments or will follow Harper's intention to pass the bill quickly within June...

I wonder how Canada call is a democratic country when opposition MPs complained that only 5 MP has discussed on the bill before 2nd reading ? and they wanted more more MPs to take part in discussion. But sadly, Harper ignored due to his brute majority and doing whatever he wants like a 3rd world country PM does. He forced to vote on 2nd reading yesterday mid night when people are in sleep...

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
rayman_m said:
2nd reading completed on 29.05 and referred to committee. It's now up to committee whether they will take some time to study and come up report with amendments or will follow Harper's intention to pass the bill quickly within June...

I wonder how Canada call is a democratic country when opposition MPs complained that only 5 MP has discussed on the bill before 2nd reading ? and they wanted more more MPs to take part in discussion. But sadly, Harper ignored due to his brute majority and doing whatever he wants like a 3rd world country PM does. He forced to vote on 2nd reading yesterday mid night when people are in sleep...
While I agree there are parts of the bill that are unfair, I wouldn't go so far as to question if Canada is democratic.

People voted Stephen Harper and the Conservatives in. All sorts of bills that have questionable stuff in them are similarly passed without much debate as it is the majority of the House of Commons (and within that, the cabinet ministers) that decides what laws to propose and then pass. There are many countries that are not 3rd world where this happens (from my experience, Australia is pretty much the same).

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/government-repeatedly-shuts-out-witnesses-citizenship-and-immigration-debate

What is going on in Canada? Are we becoming a communist country or what?

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Matt the Aussie said:
While I agree there are parts of the bill that are unfair, I wouldn't go so far as to question if Canada is democratic.

People voted Stephen Harper and the Conservatives in. All sorts of bills that have questionable stuff in them are similarly passed without much debate as it is the majority of the House of Commons (and within that, the cabinet ministers) that decides what laws to propose and then pass. There are many countries that are not 3rd world where this happens (from my experience, Australia is pretty much the same).
They were voted in to represent a majority of population but the trust on them wasn't meant to be permanent. At the time of election they were probably good at convincing people but now showing their true colors. Failure of democracy is the fact that once the party becomes majority, the rest becomes puppets - opposition and Canadians.

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
Hi ,

Since bill C-24 is very near to getting passed , seniors and experts please advise how soon it could be implemented .

Do you think CIC will need some months to allign its systems , people with the new law ? or should we expect to see the law implemented within a month or so , if it is passed by the Senate as well before June 27th.

Your inputs are highly appreciated !

Thanks

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
civic said:
They were voted in to represent a majority of population but the trust on them wasn't meant to be permanent. At the time of election they were probably good at convincing people but now showing their true colors. Failure of democracy is the fact that once the party becomes majority, the rest becomes puppets - opposition and Canadians.
And what makes you think "a majority of the population" sides with immigrants on these issues? I would think the opposite. Personally, even I can see there are some good parts in this bill but there are also concerns.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Matt the Aussie said:
And what makes you think "a majority of the population" sides with immigrants on these issues? I would think the opposite. Personally, even I can see there are some good parts in this bill but there are also concerns.
In fact, The majority of Canadians absolutely have no idea what immigration means to their fellow Canadians or immigrants. I asked all my Canadian co workers. None of them give a sh!t about the bill, they dont even know it existed let alone what's on it. That is not a topic of interest for the vast majority of Canadians. The election rate in Canada is among the lowest as compared to other Western countries. The people dont care, dont know. They are forced to believe newcomers are here to take their job, use their resource - unless they do their own research.

That doesn't mean they agree with whatever Cons say on the bill. They don't care. And the government misled them to believe reform will make Canadian citizenship more valuable.

hussinhamid

May 30, 2014
HI Zardoz

Do you mean the 4- points listed in my post as exclusions were rejected to be excluded from the bill in vote # 157 and then in Vote # 158 were accepted to be excluded from the bill please elaborate on this point and which vote is to our favor as an immigrants .

sarah180

May 29, 2014
My basic residence is complete but not my physical. I was away 20 days and I have to wait 40 days for that. A judge will decide about my application if I send it today. But if they change the rules , Judges have every right to reject my application after 3 years.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
hussinhamid said:
HI Zardoz

Do you mean the 4- points listed in my post as exclusions were rejected to be excluded from the bill in vote # 157 and then in Vote # 158 were accepted to be excluded from the bill please elaborate on this point and which vote is to our favor as an immigrants .
I cannot believe we are still trying to figure out what happened yesterday :).

Vote 157 was an amendment that said drop the bill. It was rejected.

Vote 158 was the main motion - to do the second reading and move the bill to committee. It was passed.

Now it is up to the committee.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Here is the web page for the BC Civil Liberties Association:
http://bccla.org/2014/05/challenging-misinformation-canadian-citizenship-law-explained/#share
Josh is the guy who is sponsoring the 25 k petition. I asked him when he plans to submit it, through facebook - no reply yet.

You can use the image files to put them on your social media and spread the word.

I think civic is right - most people don't have a clue about this whole thing, nor do they care.