+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
on-hold said:
Again, two things will determine when this comes into force: the unknown will of the CIMM conservatives and the people who give them orders, and the unknown implementation schedule.
I think when, a few days ago, the conservatives on the CIMM abruptly voted to cut out the witnesses who'd travelled thousands of miles to appear before them, and when they motioned to move in-camera, that pretty much gave us a taste of their unknown will :(.

Maybe we'll need to stage a huge protest (there should be a million of recent immigrants in Ontario only who will be very much affected by the new law) to get the attention of the public. Groups way smaller than that can get things done in parliamentary democracies sometimes. But like others have said, I am aware this is an issue for more recent immigrants and leftist intellectuals who are few and far between.

Let us hope CanV's gut feeling is right though :).

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Tolerance said:
I think when, a few days ago, the conservatives on the CIMM abruptly voted to cut out the witnesses who'd travelled thousands of miles to appear before them, and when they motioned to move in-camera, that pretty much gave us a taste of their unknown will :(.
Sorry I am not sure if I understand it correctly, so basically what happened a few days ago is the Cons felt uncomfortable with what our witnesses had to say so decided to ignore them by slamming the door in their faces??
I thought this was Canada...

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
chelavnzuo said:
Sorry I am not sure if I understand it correctly, so basically what happened a few days ago is the Cons felt uncomfortable with what our witnesses had to say so decided to ignore them by slamming the door in their faces??
I thought this was Canada...
You be the judge:
vancouverobserver.com/news/advocates-incensed-last-minute-muzzling-witnesses-major-citizenship-bill

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Tolerance said:
You be the judge:
vancouverobserver.com/news/advocates-incensed-last-minute-muzzling-witnesses-major-citizenship-bill
Wow that is eye opening, and the best part is those cons are all foreign-born immigrants themselves.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
chelavnzuo said:
Wow that is eye opening, and the best part is those cons are all foreign-born immigrants themselves.
Those three are strategically selected so that the cons cannot be easily accused they do not include the (visible) minorities :). Also, MPs of Chinese and Indian origin can potentially bring a lot of votes. Filipinos represent most of the immigrants as of late I believe, so it is a matter of time before the cons give us an MP of Filipino origin :).

And those three MPs of course could not look the witnesses in the eye - just carrying out orders you know, I don't have anything against you personally :). Oh, those three...

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Sad. They were like the "colonial" pawns being used by the higher ups to do their dirty work....and ask the sneaky questions !

2cookies

May 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Yes
us2yow said:
I agree with rayman_m,

Logically, this is no small bill and with all the potential controversial aspects etc, and summer break, and the fact that the Standing Committee is still in process, there is NO way they will do a shoddy and last minute job to pass it at any cost by compromising quality - I mean, lets be serious guys....that's why there are democratic processes !
can anyone give the negative point of this bill for new citizens?
how bad will this affect us?

Thx

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2cookies said:
can anyone give the negative point of this bill for new citizens?
how bad will this affect us?

Thx
The main concern for many is that it will create 2 classes of citizens, those that can leave and reenter whenever they wish, and those who will wish they became citizens before the bill passed so they arent worried that they signed their "intent to reside". Other clauses dont seem to effect most people in the long run, in my opinion.

sept-30

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
My worry is that this two class citizenship story continues. at first they start with small limitation and continue with other limitations.

maza

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF/BIODATA 3-2-2014
AOR Received.
05-07-2013
IELTS Request
21-01-2012(sent with application)
Med's Request
31-1-2014
Med's Done....
5-2-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
http://www.straight.com/news/650311/immigration-bill-c-24-decried-path-two-tiered-canadian-citizenshipead this

sthaeem

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
I called a MP office and got the following response:

1. Second reading will be on May 28th.
2. They are anticipating that Bill C-24 will probably be complete before summer break or at least would pass thru House because:
a. Time motion and
b. committee will not be too long as it will not involve witness and would only be study of the bill clauses.
3. Amendments (if any) would be submitted as part of third ready or report stage.

These findings are scary. Last time what I found out came true about committee study on subject matter to be complete by May 12th and it completed by May 14th. I am hoping and praying that the bill is amended a lot specially all those scary clauses.

maza

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF/BIODATA 3-2-2014
AOR Received.
05-07-2013
IELTS Request
21-01-2012(sent with application)
Med's Request
31-1-2014
Med's Done....
5-2-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
sthaeem said:
I called a MP office and got the following response:

1. Second reading will be on May 28th.
2. They are anticipating that Bill C-24 will probably be complete before summer break or at least would pass thru House because:
a. Time motion and
b. committee will not be too long as it will not involve witness and would only be study of the bill clauses.
3. Amendments (if any) would be submitted as part of third ready or report stage.

These findings are scary. Last time what I found out came true about committee study on subject matter to be complete by May 12th and it completed by May 14th. I am hoping and praying that the bill is amended a lot specially all those scary clauses.
That ie definitely bad news.. i think the Conservatives are stubborn and would not make any amendments and try to pass it as it is..
They see immigrants as money making machines and as workers.. no point to argue with them.. they do want those changes to get applied ASAP.
Goodluck with your applications.. for me.. i am having second thoughts about staying here.. i do not care about time as much as i care about feeling always that i am not as rqual as others here..

SubZero_2

Star Member
Apr 12, 2012
Don't worry folks, you have my words it will not pass by the end of this year. GO ENJOY YOUR TIME, and the MP who said that it is going to pass he/she is definitely wrong (it is really funny that I know better than him/her).

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Subzero_2,

you have consistently said you are very sure it will NOT become law before end of the year. Let's hope you are right..Thanks