+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
very upsetting...check this out guys... :eek:

Government muzzles expert witnesses on major citizenship bill
http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/advocates-incensed-last-minute-muzzling-witnesses-major-citizenship-bill?page=0,0&utm_content=buffer96bb4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

londonOntario

Star Member
Jan 14, 2010
Brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
very upsetting...check this out guys... :eek:

Government muzzles expert witnesses on major citizenship bill
http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/advocates-incensed-last-minute-muzzling-witnesses-major-citizenship-bill?page=0,0&utm_content=buffer96bb4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Interesting...It seems a majority govt can easily pass any insane law that they want. I don't know if there is a judicial process to challenge and put a hold on a law's implementation in the court as soon as it passes, if it goes against the constitution.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Matt the Aussie said:
In essence, "if you don't like it, you can go home". Oh trust me, I've heard all those arguments before. I think anyone (immigrant or not) would consider the place they have lived continuously for the past 6 years to be their "home", so for me Canada is home. But I digress.

There's also a definite link to where in Canada you live and how much of this you will encounter. Not as much in big cities like Toronto, but exponentially so the further away you go.

And yet on the same subject many Canadians have also told me to my face that immigration is what's wrong with this country, that all immigrants do is come in and take their jobs and live off their welfare and EI. I've reminded those people that I am a proud immigrant and that is usually met with "well, not you obviously...". Really? I guess because I'm a white male that doesn't work in a factory or a trade I'm OK, right? If I were from South Asia and worked on the assembly line, well all bets off...
"If you don't like it you can go home" is the standard answer you get to any criticism of any aspect of life in this country. You're supposed to feel ecstatic just for having been allowed to be here. I wish I was in a position to just take them up on that proposition and go to the States.

Another response is "we got free health care here." Umm no, it's only free if you make less than 20,000 dollars a year. The rest of us have to pay what's known as the Ontario Health Premium (anywhere from $300 a year and upwards) as part of our taxes. So they should stop calling it free health care. They should call it what it is: forced by the government to purchase mandatory health insurance. Same thing as they have in the US. There goes Canada's main selling point, shot to pieces.

As for the "maximum timeline" for the processing of citizenship applications, I'm going to go one step further than you guys and say that even this would not comfort me. It's not a guarantee of any sort. We all know things like that are just for show and don't reflect what really happens. It's all about public relations and image in Canada. I don't know about you but I just don't trust the federal government, not one bit.

khakalove

Star Member
Dec 26, 2010
torontosm said:
I appreciate your point and agree that the "intent to reside" clause will be very difficult to enforce. However, I support it as it will at least force someone who has no intention of living in Canada to reconsider signing the application, as it would otherwise be deliberate misrepresentation. If someone does leave the day after obtaining citizenship, the government would have a clear case about how they never had an intention of staying in Canada. A month or year later and the line becomes blurred and the case becomes weakened.

Again, I think that this is a step in the right direction and not the ideal solution.
hi torntosm, you are thinking so nerrow.....as if somebody gets the canadian citizenship
, after that he thinks...that he wants to live in spain or etc......thats his right to live anywhare....like you may have decided to come to canada.......from your country .......did your countrys law boutherd you to leave and go ...that do not go to canada.????think about it ......plz dont take it personel.....

RAY2112

Jul 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All Canadians are immigrants. So end this useless conversation and let us search for sunny ways. Period :)

maza

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF/BIODATA 3-2-2014
AOR Received.
05-07-2013
IELTS Request
21-01-2012(sent with application)
Med's Request
31-1-2014
Med's Done....
5-2-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
This is the best thing ever written about this Bill... It is worth reading

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/citizenship-act-will-create-two-classes-of-canadians/article18778296/comments/

Maza

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Senate House just showed a meeting on Monday May 26 relating to Study on the impacts of recent changes to the immigration system. Needless to remind you all that House of Common also has a meeting on May 26. The race is on to pass the bill before summer.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Observer, On the parliament Canada website, it is stated that senate is adjourned until Tuesday May 27th. May I know where you see the schedule?

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is the link. It is the second meeting from the top.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/sencommitteebusiness/allmeetings.aspx?parl=41&ses=2&Language=E&psize=50

pedros

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Observer said:
The Senate House just showed a meeting on Monday May 26 relating to Study on the impacts of recent changes to the immigration system. Needless to remind you all that House of Common also has a meeting on May 26. The race is on to pass the bill before summer.
The May 26th meeting is nothing to do with C-24. It's the "Official Languages" committee studying

the impacts of recent changes to the immigration system on official language minority communities

http://www.parl.gc.ca/sencommitteebusiness/Notice.aspx?parl=41&ses=2&comm_id=595&Language=E&meeting_id=15193

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Observer but I think Pedros is right , it has nothing to do with Bill C-24

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have been repeatedly posting on this topic since the bill is introduced that this bill may become a law only end of this year or even linger until early next year. Even still the effectiveness date and effective on what type of PR (current or new) all to be settled thereafter.. I hope so many people are looking forward to apply in 2014 undoubtedly are fine..

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
I agree with rayman_m,

Logically, this is no small bill and with all the potential controversial aspects etc, and summer break, and the fact that the Standing Committee is still in process, there is NO way they will do a shoddy and last minute job to pass it at any cost by compromising quality - I mean, lets be serious guys....that's why there are democratic processes !