+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

sthaeem

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
surgi said:
I can not figure out how Bill C24 will solve the problem of fraud. There is nothnng related to that in the Bill. They actually resolve this problem by the residency questionnaire. There is no need to increase the required length of stay or give an officer a great power to revoke a request of citizenship even without a clear reason and say that will fight fraud!!! In reality the present law gives the government all rights to do so in very correct way. Bill C24 is not a criminal law act for example which will punish a fraudlent ,it is simply a misuse power to eliminate some PRs on selection and make loosing citizenship a more simple than to drink a cup of coffee and withdraw the right to go for Mandamus from PRs.
Agreed

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
last week of study for bill c-24 b4 2nd reading.
then the committee will study clause by clause. afterword it will be sent back to the house for a 3rd reading and vote.
cant wait to get this all over with

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, I just want to make sure I understand the process correctly.

there are 3 readings in House of Commons
then 3 reading in senate
then it is royal assent right?

and currently we are at the second reading for house of commons?

Thank you for clarification!

londonOntario

Star Member
Jan 14, 2010
Brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In the video McCallum says that the govt is not going to change anything in the bill. So all this committee stuff looks like a drama to me.
They have passed highly controversial bills like safe streets act where media and all politicians were against the bill esp raising penalties for marijuana. They didn't give a damn about what majority of canadians thought about it then, so this immigration bill is nothing in front of that. It will pass before summer it seems. just analyse how long the implementation will take. looking at similar bills in the past, it looks like anywhere from 3-4 months to 1 year after royal assent.

dr_majed8835

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Hi Everyone,

Any news today after the committee and senators meetings that observer mentioned?

[ quote author=Observer link=topic=186303.msg3118123#msg3118123 date=1399635566]
Guys, in addition to the committee meeting on May 12 (3:30-5:30 pm), the Senators will also have a meeting at 5:30-6:30 pm with the presence of the Minster to address the proposed changes. As I advised several times earlier, we will see the law prior to the summer break.
[/quote]

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would agree with LondonOntario that the bill will be passed before the summer break, however, I do not see a reason to delay implementation.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a bill C-28 which introduced on 23.03.2014 and they finished everything within 4 days up to Royal Ascent while there is other bill C-23 still in 2nd reading stage. Therefore, only Harper and Alexander knows what they will to do with bill C-24. All we have to watch the following step's development..

Parliament:
1. First Reading - 2014-03-24 (Bill is here now)
2. Second Reading and Referral to Committee -
3. Committee Report Present -
4. Concurrence at Report Stage -
5. Third Reading -

Senate:
6. First Reading -
7. Second Reading -
8. Third Reading -

Royal Assent -

dr_majed8835

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Observer said:
Well said Rayman. Just an update, there is a Committee meeting on May 14.
How about the meeting that you said it will take place on May 12??!!
You should update us since you advertised for it or do you want us to bring you the updates then you say your usual sentence: the bill will become a law before the summer!!

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi dr majid, I haven't attended all of the session yesterday, however in the part I have seen there was strong push back on several components of the bill, mainly the revoking of citizenship, intend to reside, language test and counting days before PR. I was focusing on my previous comments to provide future events / expectations. However, I will also post brief of previous meetings. Hope this satisfies ur concern.

khakalove

Star Member
Dec 26, 2010
Observer said:
Hi dr majid, I haven't attended all of the session yesterday, however in the part I have seen there was strong push back on several components of the bill, mainly the revoking of citizenship, intend to reside, language test and counting days before PR. I was focusing on my previous comments to provide future events / expectations. However, I will also post brief of previous meetings. Hope this satisfies ur concern.
Hi all , as i am not with observer, s comments on c24 , all my studies say that, most likely it will implement last month of 2014 or jan feb of 2015....observer is taking it personel, as wants to become a law very soon, but reality is diffrent, observer dosent work for immigration, nither a personel secrety of immigration minister, so observer plz dont take it personel......tnx.

xando

May 13, 2014
i cannot agree more:
surgi said:
I can not figure out how Bill C24 will solve the problem of fraud. There is nothnng related to that in the Bill. They actually resolve this problem by the residency questionnaire. There is no need to increase the required length of stay or give an officer a great power to revoke a request of citizenship even without a clear reason and say that will fight fraud!!! In reality the present law gives the government all rights to do so in very correct way. Bill C24 is not a criminal law act for example which will punish a fraudlent ,it is simply a misuse power to eliminate some PRs on selection and make loosing citizenship a more simple than to drink a cup of coffee and withdraw the right to go for Mandamus from PRs.

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi khakalove,
Trust me I do not take anything personal. On the contrary I like the feedback (this is the objective of the forum). My point of view is that although there are several Committee meetings, the voting will take place in the House of Common and not by the Committee guests. I, therefore, believe we will see the law before the summer and as I always say I wish I am wrong.
By the way, I do not work with the government or with anything related to immigration, I am just an observer.
:D

khakalove

Star Member
Dec 26, 2010
Observer said:
Hi khakalove,
Trust me I do not take anything personal. On the contrary I like the feedback (this is the objective of the forum). My point of view is that although there are several Committee meetings, the voting will take place in the House of Common and not by the Committee guests. I, therefore, believe we will see the law before the summer and as I always say I wish I am wrong.
By the way, I do not work with the government or with anything related to immigration, I am just an observer.
:D
Then lets see whose observation, will goes towards,,, bay the time of implementation, ;)