+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In order to be a law, bill has to be passed by house then move to senate and get royal assent all before summer closing/within June.. It's unlikely.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
Timeline for the previous Amendment of Citizenship Act from the Canadian Parliament Website.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=3188741

Took from December 10th,2007->April 17th 2008 in Parliament Discussions, and it was effective a year Later (17th April 2009).

If you are within a year of applying just relax .. otherwise you might make it you might not.

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks Sicko for sharing this info. I will be eligible to apply in few months.

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
sicko86 said:
Timeline for the previous Amendment of Citizenship Act from the Canadian Parliament Website.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=3188741

Took from December 10th,2007->April 17th 2008 in Parliament Discussions, and it was effective a year Later (17th April 2009).

If you are within a year of applying just relax .. otherwise you might make it you might not.
To add a little more to your point ,the above mentioned bill was not at all that comprehensive ,considering the extent of changes to the Citizenship Act ,so it could take even longer to pass .

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
informatics said:
To add a little more to your point ,the above mentioned bill was not at all that comprehensive ,considering the extent of changes to the Citizenship Act ,so it could take even longer to pass .
I completely agree with you!

bosmek

Apr 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are mistaking my friends.
The Conservatives moved today the controversial Fair Election Act bill C-23, which will be allowed one more day of debates and will go for the third reading. And this is with all the opposition from both NDP and Liberals.
What makes you think that Bill C-24 will not pass within weeks, your optimism ?

We shall see...

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
bosmek said:
The Conservatives moved today the controversial Fair Election Act bill C-23, which will be allowed one more day of debates and will go for the third reading. And this is with all the opposition from both NDP and Liberals.

We shall see...
I agree with this -- if the government wants to pass it quickly, they will, and the only thing that might interfere with that is if some other issue arises that makes time a scarce resource (or a government-consuming scandal). From what I can see, they want to pass it. It's more realistic to hope that it's implementation is not immediate, but delayed somewhat, though I don't see why they would do that either.

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
bosmek said:

We shall see...
you are right but on the other hand, if there are some points interfere with the constitution ( like intend to reside ) it will take more time even with the majority of conservative.

can anyone tell me if this act will go to the supreme court or not? if yes then at which stage?

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Travel Dream said:
you are right but on the other hand, if there are some points interfere with the constitution ( like intend to reside ) it will take more time even with the majority of conservative.

can anyone tell me if this act will go to the supreme court or not?
Because we're all immigrants, we have a less than ideal understanding of Canadian legislative processes . . . :'( I believe that bills never go to the Supreme Court, they are passed into law and then challenged.

toprainmaker

May 8, 2014
Does anyone know anything about this?

Sorry I'm new to Canadavisa forum and I couldn't post the link for my question, here. But if you go to order paper and notice paper in the parliament website under the senate, in motions no 23 it says sen Martin is going to ask the senate to authorize a committee in senate to examine bill c-24 before it is presented to the senate!

Does it mean the govornment is trying to expedite the approval process? Is it even possible for senate to study a bill when it is still under process in the house?!

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Not necessarily but sort of in that it is - in my opinion and reading - a pre-study kind of move where you are formally saying " guys..lets start doing some prep reading before the bill comes to the Senate".

The Bill is still not even completed Second Reading yet. There is still a ways to go even in Commons before it gets to Senate - hence the senate move to say lets do a "pre arrival" type study of the content in this "very short" ;D bill

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, in addition to the committee meeting on May 12 (3:30-5:30 pm), the Senators will also have a meeting at 5:30-6:30 pm with the presence of the Minster to address the proposed changes. As I advised several times earlier, we will see the law prior to the summer break.

howtoland

Dec 19, 2011
Observer said:
Guys, in addition to the committee meeting on May 12 (3:30-5:30 pm), the Senators will also have a meeting at 5:30-6:30 pm with the presence of the Minster to address the proposed changes. As I advised several times earlier, we will see the law prior to the summer break.
When is the summer break? Is there a specific date?

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Last working day is June 20th. However, there are extended sitting hours on June 9-20. Given the start of the discussion at the Senate house, the likelihood is to see the law before June 20th.