11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
u4g5 said:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/SEN/Committee/412/soci/rep/rep12jun14-e.htm

Can we eliminate Senate as a whole?
That what happens when you have a majority ...

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A bill comes into effect on the day of Royal Assent unless another date is specified in the legislation. The bill itself is sent to Government House to be signed. Once signed, the original bill is returned to the Senate where it is put in the archives.

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/parliament/g/royalassent.htm

Jun 18, 2014
OK,I tweeted this to the immigration minister few hours ago and I will wait for the reply.In case of any comment,I will post it back here.

'Dear Honorable Minister, With all due respect,will there be a transition period for current PR's when bill c-24 comes into force?'

Back to true memories of where I came from,if the same scenario of asking directly that question happens,I would be ended up to jail! :)

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
sicko86 said:
Another Legal Challenge for the Bill

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/local/rights-groups-to-announce-legal-challenge-of-proposed-immigration-bill-1.1135180
Has anyone considered the possible effect of one of these challenges to the stripping of citizenship being successful and then someone who would have lost their citizenship carrying out a terrorist attack on Canadian soil? How do you think that might affect the immigration system going forward?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
grumpy121 said:
So basically, no chance for people applying 1st week of July :eek:
Yes, there is a major chance of applying the 1st week of July. The "number of years" provision won't go into effect when the bill is signed. That will come later, but we don't know when.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
u4g5 said:
A bill comes into effect on the day of Royal Assent unless another date is specified in the legislation. The bill itself is sent to Government House to be signed. Once signed, the original bill is returned to the Senate where it is put in the archives.

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/parliament/g/royalassent.htm
And this bill does mention another date for the section dealing with the number of years necessary to apply for citizenship. That date is to be decided at a later time by the Governor in council.

grumpy121

Jun 18, 2014
alphazip said:
Yes, there is a major chance of applying the 1st week of July. The "number of years" provision won't go into effect when the bill is signed. That will come later, but we don't know when.
I'm really panicking over here! :eek:.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
alphazip said:
Reassuring to hear--I'm due to apply the third week of July...

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
paw339 said:
Has anyone considered the possible effect of one of these challenges to the stripping of citizenship being successful and then someone who would have lost their citizenship carrying out a terrorist attack on Canadian soil? How do you think that might affect the immigration system going forward?
Yeah, Canada has Criminal Code. Last time I checked, it was still there.
Any out of court power may lead to a possible abuse, especially if you have an incompetent minister.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Empirical-Scientist said:
Reassuring to hear--I'm due to apply the third week of July...
But remember...all we know is that it will be later than the day the bill receives Royal Assent. We don't know when that later date will be, and it *could* be July 1. That's very unlikely, but possible. As for me, I'm already a Canadian citizen (by descent, not naturalization), but my spouse won't qualify until sometime in September.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At this point, I hope the announce the date soon before half of us pass out from stress lol! My personal guess is Dec