+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

jrjayl

Oct 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shaazdeh said:
did u highlight your entries to Canada as you had many trips or you just photocopy and send it?
Don't think you need to highlight anything on the passport copies, instead, translations for any non-English or non-French stamps are required.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
marcus66502 said:
As far as I know the phrase "dual intent" is only used for the H1B status you get in the US, and it means the same as you described. But I've never heard it used in Canada, so if you can please provide an official reference to it, I would welcome that. I'm sure you don't mind if I don't take your word for what you're claiming. You're hardly the authority. What I have seen, however, is the phrase "Must leave Canada by [fill in the date]" on Temporary Foreign Worker permits.

How do you know someone doesn't have any real arguments in this forum? when they start using words like "troll" against others.
Having an intention to later on apply for a permanent residency should not preclude a foreign national from seeking a temporary status in Canada.

Dual intent

(2) An intention by a foreign national to become a permanent resident does not preclude them from becoming a temporary resident if the officer is satisfied that they will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-10.html#docCont
A person's desire to apply for permanent resident status in Canada may be legitimate. An officer should distinguish between an applicant whose intentions are bona fide and an applicant who has no intention of leaving Canada at the end of their authorized stay if the application for permanent residence is refused.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp
Unlike the United States (where most non-immigrant visas do not allow dual intent), a foreign student or worker does not, in any way, violate any immigration law if, while residing in Canada under temporary status, he or she also desires to, one day, seek permanent residency.

Dual intent is ALLOWED for those with temporary status in Canada, and should not be the basis that an officer denies anyone seeking a temporary status, thus, a lot of students or foreign workers come to Canada under temporary status with the intention from the very beginning to eventually become settled in Canada. The Canadian immigration knows this, and allows it.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Those FSW folks who got their applications cancelled by CIC going to the Federal Court of Appeal. They are arguing that cancellations were based on national origin (Europeans processed but Asians, Africans, and Middle Easterners cancelled).

This could get interesting, the hearing is in about 10 days. I believe CIC cancelled 320,000 apps then. The lawyers' argument is very interesting (the pdf document).

http://www.canadaclassaction.com/

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
meyakanor said:
Having an intention to later on apply for a permanent residency should not preclude a foreign national from seeking a temporary status in Canada.

Unlike the United States (where most non-immigrant visas do not allow dual intent), a foreign student or worker does not, in any way, violate any immigration law if, while residing in Canada under temporary status, he or she also desires to, one day, seek permanent residency.
Yes, but as your quoted sources say, they must intend to leave Canada at the end of their authorized temporary stay. That's a condition for getting a temporary visa. More precisely, the "bona fide" intentions in the quoted sources refer to the visa applicant's intent to come to Canada for the purpose that he is claiming.

I know from personal contacts that too many people succeed in getting visitor visas to Canada but then apply for asylum as soon as they get to Canada. This is a misrepresentation of the purpose of their trip, which, if it was known to the officer at the time of visa application, they would not have been issued the visas.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Tolerance said:
Those FSW folks who got their applications cancelled by CIC going to the Federal Court of Appeal. They are arguing that cancellations were based on national origin (Europeans processed but Asians, Africans, and Middle Easterners cancelled).

This could get interesting, the hearing is in about 10 days. I believe CIC cancelled 320,000 apps then. The lawyers' argument is very interesting (the pdf document).

http://www.canadaclassaction.com/
This isn't the first hearing - they've already gone through several stages. Things aren't going well for the claimants and the judge has already rejected / refused their claim (i.e. it's pretty much guaranteed CIC will win at this point). There's an entire thread dedicated to this lawsuit over in the FSW section of this forum if you want to read the history:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/federal-skilled-worker-class-action-lawsuit-t113853.0.html

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Public Protest Will Take Place On June 30 2014 at 5 pm at :

5100 Yonge St, Toronto, Ontario M2N 5V7

Mel Lastman Square

https://www.facebook.com/events/329557137191849/

Please kindly join the protest who is against this bill C24

and also sign this petition:

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/hon-chris-alexander-pc-mp-canadian-government-stop-bill-c-24-don-t-turn-millions-of-us-into-second-class-canadian-citizens

Thanks

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Back when Canadian immigration policy still made sense, and perhaps even today, coming here on a student visa was in many ways the first step towards becoming a Canadian permanent resident and, in time, citizen. Then came the three-year open post-graduation work permit and the Canadian Experience Class which didn't just make it easier for foreign students to stay permanently, it made it almost impossible for them not to: Canada was basically begging them to stay, and it made eminent sense. It wasn't just that earning a university degree here means, for the most part, that you are proficient in at least one of the official languages, or that you've obtained the requisite skills and education to make it in the Canadian labour market. For many of them, and certainly for those who came here with the intention to stay, it goes way beyond that.

While these young people didn't spend their formative years in Canada, they came of age here. All they know about the real world, and what it means to be a responsible adult, they learned here. They didn't just get used to the local customs and mores. They didn't even need to adopt them. These Canadian values became an integral part of who they are. On their graduation day, year(s) before they would be eligible to apply for permanent residence, they were more "Canadian" than the 42-year old taking the Citizenship oath 4 years after he landed. Previous governments understood that. Why this one doesn't is beyond me.

Wahrheit

May 27, 2014
turboracer said:
Public Protest Will Take Place On June 30 2014 at 5 pm at :

5100 Yonge St, Toronto, Ontario M2N 5V7

Mel Lastman Square

Please kindly join the protest who is against this bill C24

and also sign this petition:

Thanks
Enough Already!! You're like a broken record. You repeat the same things again and again..

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, there was lots of discussion on Pre-PR time on other threads. Somebody just don't bother going through the original petition, the official site http://preprtimecounts.com/2014/04/04/faqs/ and multiple other threads on this forum to get the data.

Please focus on the protest: https://www.facebook.com/events/329557137191849/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

It doesn't really matter, if that's late. Conservatives are going to push this bill no matter what. On our side, we need to gather more people, get some media and prove their argument that '63% of PRs support the bill' is an utter nonsense, and just one more lie from them.

+ If maybe someone organizes a protest in other part(s) of the country, that would be really cool.

BTW, another Conservatives' bill was rejected by the Supreme Court: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/online-privacy-decision-means-back-to-the-drawing-board-for-tories-1.2674793
As I mentioned before, Conservatives at this point are unable to find a single good lawyer for their team.

It is important to show Canadians, that Bill C-24, as a lot of other their bills, does not have any Constitutional or moral ground.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
bambino said:
Back when Canadian immigration policy still made sense, and perhaps even today, coming here on a student visa was in many ways the first step towards becoming a Canadian permanent resident and, in time, citizen. Then came the three-year open post-graduation work permit and the Canadian Experience Class which didn't just make it easier for foreign students to stay permanently, it made it almost impossible for them not to: Canada was basically begging them to stay, and it made eminent sense. It wasn't just that earning a university degree here means, for the most part, that you are proficient in at least one of the official languages, or that you've obtained the requisite skills and education to make it in the Canadian labour market. For many of them, and certainly for those who came here with the intention to stay, it goes way beyond that.

While these young people didn't spend their formative years in Canada, they came of age here. All they know about the real world, and what it means to be a responsible adult, they learned here. They didn't just get used to the local customs and mores. They didn't even need to adopt them. These Canadian values became an integral part of who they are. On their graduation day, year(s) before they would be eligible to apply for permanent residence, they were more "Canadian" than the 42-year old taking the Citizenship oath 4 years after he landed. Previous governments understood that. Why this one doesn't is beyond me.
I'm not going to pick on what you've said but I do want to emphasize that you should not be talking about Canadian values as if it's a set of rules like the seven commandments etched in stone. No such thing exists, despite what you read in government-published leaflets for the general immigrant population.

Values will vary from person to person and since they're subjective by their very nature, you have no standing to say that your values are in any way superior to mine. Excuse me for feeling I don't have much in common people in my community, or for not feeling I should get involved outside my home (donate, volunteer or whatever you imagine). It's not any of these that make me a citizen. It's not what others think of me that makes me a citizen. It's the legal status that will be granted to me by the government.

The law is where the power is, not people's opinions. And if the law says three years of residence makes me good enough to apply for citizenship, then so it shall be. I am not required to agree with your view of a 'Canadian' lifestyle in order to meet the law's requirements for citizenship (much as that pisses you off).

MWM

Star Member
Jun 1, 2014
I Don't know why all the discussions , are either on the impact of the bill on PRE-PR'S time , and stripping the dual citizens .
there's no focus on the impact on current PR'S and the intent to reside in Canada till the oath exam , specially PR'S who will be eligible to apply in the near soon like ( 6 to 10 Month's ) less than a year .

I think Current PR'S already planned there plans for future . I will give an example :

I know a Canadian PHD DR. who received an offer outside Canada with more than 25,000$ Monthly , she answered them I can't leave Canada unless my spouse finish's his citizenship application which will be mid FEB 2015 , they said ok we will wait as they need her badly , with the new law this PHD.DR Cannot take or accept that opportunity till 3 years from now , as her spouse will wait till FEB 2016 - Then another year for the intent to reside Part and then a few months till he finish's everything . I think we have a lot of near or similar cases . how many skilled immigrants refused a good offer's overseas to finish his or her 1095 Days , how many Canadian waiting there parents to finish ( I mean old parents ) as adding a 3 years on them is not something easy as they may not have another 3 years or even months .

How many immigrants are waiting to find an overseas job to send money to his family in Canada specially after the home prices are going high and high everyday and the inflation rate is increasing , and how many .. how many... ETC .

adding days or years on people who almost finish ( Less than a year still ) is not something easy on them as they planned already what they are going to do ... and some cases are really need to finish ( either based on human rights wise or future wise ) .

By implementing the new C-24 rules on current PR'S , they will screw most immigrants and we all must not forget that immigrants are well contributed with Canadian's so no one will be happy and this will affect future elections on every side plus Current PR'S are NEW Canadian Citizen project's, and one day he or she will be a Canadian and they will be able to vote . don't you agree with me that either Cons -or liberals' or NDP'S must focus on them and help them not screwing them .

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shaazdeh said:
did u highlight your entries to Canada as you had many trips or you just photocopy and send it?
hardly any of my trips had stamps on the passport. 90% of them were to states. i usually cross the border couple of times a month.

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
MWM said:
I Don't know why all the discussions , are either on the impact of the bill on PRE-PR'S time , and stripping the dual citizens .
there's no focus on the impact on current PR'S and the intent to reside in Canada till the oath exam , specially PR'S who will be eligible to apply in the near soon like ( 6 to 10 Month's ) less than a year .

I think Current PR'S already planned there plans for future . I will give an example :

I know a Canadian PHD DR. who received an offer outside Canada with more than 25,000$ Monthly , she answered them I can't leave Canada unless my spouse finish's his citizenship application which will be mid FEB 2015 , they said ok we will wait as they need her badly , with the new law this PHD.DR Cannot take or accept that opportunity till 3 years from now , as her spouse will wait till FEB 2016 - Then another year for the intent to reside Part and then a few months till he finish's everything . I think we have a lot of near or similar cases . how many skilled immigrants refused a good offer's overseas to finish his or her 1095 Days , how many Canadian waiting there parents to finish ( I mean old parents ) as adding a 3 years on them is not something easy as they may not have another 3 years or even months .

How many immigrants are waiting to find an overseas job to send money to his family in Canada specially after the home prices are going high and high everyday and the inflation rate is increasing , and how many .. how many... ETC .

adding days or years on people who almost finish ( Less than a year still ) is not something easy on them as they planned already what they are going to do ... and some cases are really need to finish ( either based on human rights wise or future wise ) .

By implementing the new C-24 rules on current PR'S , they will screw most immigrants and we all must not forget that immigrants are well contributed with Canadian's so no one will be happy and this will affect future elections on every side plus Current PR'S are NEW Canadian Citizen project's, and one day he or she will be a Canadian and they will be able to vote . don't you agree with me that either Cons -or liberals' or NDP'S must focus on them and help them not screwing them .
People with pre-PR time are also PRs like any other PRs. However, only people with pre-PR time are unfairly targeted by bill C-24 requiring them to spend 2 years more (on top of the 7+ they have already spent) while all other PRs are required to spend only one more year (on top of the 3 they have spent).

The problem with the intent to reside is that it is not clearly defined (what constitutes an intent to reside?) and that there is no hearing or judicial process to let the citizen defend themselves.

With bill C-24 none of the cases you mentioned will be eligible for citizenship. We may not know what exactly demonstrates intent to reside, but I think most people will agree that "I need my passport as soon as possible so I can leave for my job overseas" constitutes "no intent to reside".