+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Committee Stage

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, bill c-24 in 2010 passed the process in 6 weeks. The first readying was on May 12 and royal assent on Jun 29.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
Even if the bill passes. It requires a year until the law becomes effective check previous timelines between (Royal assent) and when (the law was effective)

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
Timeline for the previous Amendment of Citizenship Act from the Canadian Parliament Website.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=3188741

Took from December 10th,2007->April 17th 2008 in Parliament Discussions, and it was effective a year Later (17th April 2009).

If you are within a year of applying just relax .. otherwise you might make it you might not.

Marypetty

Apr 1, 2013
Bill C-37 was a relatively simple Bill. Not as complex as C-24, so the two can't be compared as far as a time-frame is concerned.

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Sicko, the bill you are referring to, was passed in 4 months and 1 week. If we implement the same logic on bill c-24 (same complexity), it will pass by mid-June this year.

Once the bill is passed, it is up to the Ministry to decide on the implementing timing. Providing 1 year on previous law does not necessary require the Ministry to also give one year this time.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its simple enough to implement parts of the Bill upon Royal Assent and other parts to a different timeline.

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
irfan777 said:
Hi guys,
Not really impressed the way our committee is positioning the C24. It is mainly focusing the Students and work permits, but what about PR Residents.

I was the regional brand manager for ME and Africa and I left my job and came to Canada while I was promised 1065 days for Citizenship.

I preferred Canada over Australia for less time of citizenship and I am sure many would have done too. So it is unfair, to change C24 for exiting residents. I think C24 should be applicable to the new cases otherwise It should change for all if it is changing for PR residents.......including students and Temp. Work permits.

So let's talk one language. Currently we are only. thinking about students and Work permits which is unfair and not acceptable

Thanks
I think Taya and Maria talked about a transition period in thier speeh. They talked about application of this period in all civilized countries when they make a new legislation. That is true as in Europe and commonwealth. This would allow for those who are already residents to apply on the present rules and law. It means that if Bill C24 become a law it will be applied only on those who will land after this Bill is in effect. I think this will be fair as they have the choice to refuse immigration under the new rules before they start their journey or at least to prepare themselves for the new rules.

dr_majed8835

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
The minister has to clarify this point and don't leave it for prediction.
CIC call center told me once that it will apply on the new PR but I'm not sure how true that is.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
surgi said:
I think Taya and Maria talked about a transition period in thier speeh. They talked about application of this period in all civilized countries when they make a new legislation. That is true as in Europe and commonwealth. This would allow for those who are already residents to apply on the present rules and law. It means that if Bill C24 become a law it will be applied only on those who will land after this Bill is in effect. I think this will be fair as they have the choice to refuse immigration under the new rules before they start their journey or at least to prepare themselves for the new rules.
Well said. I actually think this is one of the most important issues (who the new law would be applicable to), and it might make some other hot issues in the bill irrelevant - for some people at least. If the new law (whatever its final form might be), especially its residency requirements (increased from 3 years to 4), were to be applied only to those who become PRs AFTER the new law comes into force, that would satisfy an important concern for a lot of people who are protesting the bill. This would mean that if you became PR before the new law comes into force - you would be able to apply for citizenship based on the current regulations (3 years' residency). The argument about fairness is there because it hardly seems fair to shake hands with the Canadian Government in 2011 and both parties promise to hold their end of the bargain, and then they just change the details of the 'contract' (like surgi suggested). If they want to change the details, then the new immigrants should have a chance to accept or go somewhere else where their and their families' interests might perhaps be better served, and where their contribution might be better appreciated. Those who have already been living here for years should not be affected.

I actually just emailed two MPs and asked for clarification on who the new law should apply to. Will share if I hear back from them.

Other than the actual application of the law, I am very much for counting the pre-PR days for students and refugees. For some other hot issues, I think some parts of the bill will just have to be axed because they are unconstitutional (such as creating two tiers of citizens). Legal experts have pretty much all raised their voices about the unconstitutionality of some of the provisions. But I am sure conservatives are intentionally asking for the moon to leave some room for 'negotiation' and 'concessions,' to make the opposition feel like they achieved something, while the conservatives get just what they want :). It is all a charade.

On a lighter note, I don't know why the conservatives won't just take the broomstick ouf of their rear end, relax a little, and enjoy the wonderful diversity this country can be proud of ;D. I sound like McCallum :).

MWM

Star Member
Jun 1, 2014
HELLO ALL

I Think it will be implemented or activated immediately , as the aim of this law is to reduce the blockage by 2015/2016 . so no one will be able to submit his application in the very near soon , I hope that iam wrong and I wish everyday that iam wrong , but it seems that iam not .

My Story :

I got my PR Summer 2009 , 3 month after , my mother got very sick I left , came back early 2011 started counting from Mar 2011 , a year after my father got sick , I started to go and come but not more than weeks out of Canada each time , as he needs a care and sometimes blood donation as iam his only son because i have a brother who don't care
, a year after the doctor decided a liver Transplant surgery for my father , I left again .... and stayed with him nearly 3 months , came back after the surgery shocked with the new bill .

I will be able to apply for citizen Jan 2015 as the 1095 days will be completed .

I Have 3 Daughter's , 2 are Canadians born here , the third is not , the funniest thing is that my third daughter keeps asking me , dad why iam not Canadian like my sisters and my answer is as always , soon .... hopefully soon. with the new law I will keep saying soon for the next 3 years !!! instead of a few months . I think it's unfair to apply the rule on current PR'S or at least old PR's a year or 2 before .

My father is counting the days to see my daughters and I can't do him anything , I am stuck in between my father and my daughter .
the loser from all of that is me as my mined is not free, I keep thinking in the same issue day and night , I have a half Canadian family and the rest still , my wife and my eldest daughter .I came to Canada as an immigrant for better life , people , environment , education , future to me and my daughters , I came to Canada to clear my head from what we saw in our old country . I came to Canada because I love Canada and iam proud that iam living on a land of respect , land of humanity .... I can't guarantee that iam going to live for the next 2 years and no one could , so I could apply for me & my 3rd daughter ....

that's how the bill will affect me & my family if passed and implemented on current PR'S . but no matter what happen will always be proud of Canada and the choice that I took 6 years ago .

Hope someone could answer me it will affect current PR'S or no .

dariushtari

Jun 16, 2014
Helping organize a protest on June 30th at Mel Lastman Square

Hi Alex Linkov,
First of all thank you for all your brilliant efforts against C-24 bill. I was trying to find your email but could not find it.

As you may know a protest is planned on June 30th in Mel Lastman square. I think a protest may be a last resort to stop this go through and possibly put pressure on the Conservatives. First of all I wonder if June 30th is too late? Furthermore, I think you and the contacts you have made through this process can help the planned protest have a higher influence. Would you be interested to get involved in organizing this protest?

My email address is dariushtari@hotmail.com please send me respond or let me know how to reach you.
Regards,
Dariush

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Citizenship applicants will need to be physically present in Canada for a total of four out of their last six years. In addition, they will need to be physically present in Canada for 183 days per year for at least four of those six years. These provisions will come into force in approximately a year.
What you think?