+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Been travelling for one year. Do I need to send a police certificate?

Lucy M

Oct 15, 2014
I'm British, applying for PR through the spousal route. Husband is Canadian. We currently live in Alberta.

We recently returned to Canada after one year travelling. Prior to that I was in Canada on an IEC visa for two consecutive years. For my IEC visa I had to submit police certificates from the UK, even for the second year despite the fact I had not been in the UK at all during that time.

I have not lived in the UK since early 2012. Do I still need to provide a police certificate from the UK for my PR application? They request police certificates from the country you have resided in for the last 6 months. Well, technically there is not one country my husband and I have resided in for six months since we were last living in Alberta until March 2014. We have been non stop backpacking through 13 different countries since then. It seems nonsensical to provide a police certificate from the UK again when I haven't lived there since before I even sent previous police certificates for my IEC visa. Do I need to send a police certificate from Canada? How do I obtain one from Canada while here on a Visitor Record?

Thanks for any info and advice,
Lucy

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lucy M said:
I'm British, applying for PR through the spousal route. Husband is Canadian. We currently live in Alberta.

We recently returned to Canada after one year travelling. Prior to that I was in Canada on an IEC visa for two consecutive years. For my IEC visa I had to submit police certificates from the UK, even for the second year despite the fact I had not been in the UK at all during that time.

I have not lived in the UK since early 2012. Do I still need to provide a police certificate from the UK for my PR application? They request police certificates from the country you have resided in for the last 6 months. Well, technically there is not one country my husband and I have resided in for six months since we were last living in Alberta until March 2014. We have been non stop backpacking through 13 different countries since then. It seems nonsensical to provide a police certificate from the UK again when I haven't lived there since before I even sent previous police certificates for my IEC visa. Do I need to send a police certificate from Canada? How do I obtain one from Canada while here on a Visitor Record?

Thanks for any info and advice,
Lucy
Since your previous PCC has long expired, you will need to submit a new one with your PR application. It doesn't matter how long you've been away from home.

Just to clarify, CIC wants a PCC from every country where you lived for 6 months or more since age 18 or the past 10 years (whichever is most recent), HOWEVER...they have been know to still request this from age 18 regardless. It does not mean where you've resided in for the last 6 months. Big difference!

Good luck!

Lucy M

Oct 15, 2014
Thanks for clarifying, Ponga.

So I would send police certificates from just the UK and Canada as those are the only two countries I have resided in for 6 months or more since age 18. However, this is going to be very difficult to do as to get a UK police certificate you need at least two proofs of UK address. Seeing as I am in Canada with my husband, I have no current address in the UK.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lucy M said:

So I would send police certificates from just the UK and Canada as those are the only two countries I have resided in for 6 months or more since age 18. However, this is going to be very difficult to do as to get a UK police certificate you need at least two proofs of UK address. Seeing as I am in Canada with my husband, I have no current address in the UK.
You don't need one from Canada unless they specifically request one from you. Generally, they conduct their own search with the RCMP.

If you've lived in the UK for 6 months or more, within the last 10 years, then yes you need this. Start there, unless CIC comes back and asks for this since age 18.

Perhaps someone in the UK thread(s) can offer suggestions on how to get this.

Good luck!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lucy M said:

That shouldn't be a problem:

Code:
I live abroad and cannot prove my UK addresses. What can I do?

If you live abroad you do not have to prove your UK addresses. You only have to prove your current address and inform us of your previous UK addresses over the past TEN (10) years.
https://www.acro.police.uk/Police_Certificates_FAQs.aspx#I_live_abroad_and_cannot_prove_my_UK_addresses._What_can_I_do?