+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background Verification time! How long?

tommy_2k23

May 10, 2023
Hello guys,

What is the longest waiting case have you come across here since eligiblity completed and your case has been put into background verification.
Can it even take a year to hear a response or even more than that? I enquired from Vienna consulate they said they have no fixed time frame. To be honest , it is a vague answer coming from a higher authority.
I filed my case from germany.

trymebeyonce2020

Feb 21, 2023
Hello guys,

What is the longest waiting case have you come across here since eligiblity completed and your case has been put into background verification.
Can it even take a year to hear a response or even more than that? I enquired from Vienna consulate they said they have no fixed time frame. To be honest , it is a vague answer coming from a higher authority.
Oh wow.. You mean you haven’t been sent Passport Request after all this while?

Reactions: tommy_2k23

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello guys,

As the visa office said, there is no fixed timeframe. This is because Canada is dependent on response from other countries to complete background checks and Canada cannot control how long it can take for other countries to respond. Taking a year would be unusual, but yes, it is possible.

Reactions: tommy_2k23

tommy_2k23

May 10, 2023
Oh wow.. You mean you haven’t been sent Passport Request after all this while?
yes. my application status is still showing "in progress". Since may 25 only eligiblity completed.
I am entering into mid november right now.
no fixed timeframe seriously what does it mean considering they are using chinook+ to judge applications without actually having a look at documents.
I mean if they are verifying information from other countries I appreciate their professionalism on the other hand when I notice that people with valid usa visas from germany are getting passport requests within 10 days. Things are supposed to be done in a timely fashion in a developed country like Canada which is not a developing country.
I have not understood their visa application processing system. No unified parameters even for the same applications from the same country.

in short, we are not a priority.

tommy_2k23

May 10, 2023
As the visa office said, there is no fixed timeframe. This is because Canada is dependent on response from other countries to complete background checks and Canada cannot control how long it can take for other countries to respond. Taking a year would be unusual, but yes, it is possible.
Cool. Seems like a develping country way of doing things even for a developed country. What happened to having access to Five eye database? European Union database?
I mean, since 9/11 system has been robust , i am not sure if it should take that long. I am almost into 6 month of waiting

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Cool. Seems like a develping country way of doing things even for a developed country. What happened to having access to Five eye database? European Union database?
I mean, since 9/11 system has been robust , i am not sure if it should take that long. I am almost into 6 month of waiting
Six months is a long wait.

FVEY doesn't cover everything. FVEY works well if your history is limited to other FVEY countries. However in some cases, depending on an individual's background, IRCC may be relying on another less developed country for information to support the background check. If that less developed country's processes for providing this information back are slow or low confidence, that can impact the length of the background check.

trymebeyonce2020

Feb 21, 2023
yes. my application status is still showing "in progress". Since may 25 only eligiblity completed.
I am entering into mid november right now.
no fixed timeframe seriously what does it mean considering they are using chinook+ to judge applications without actually having a look at documents.
I mean if they are verifying information from other countries I appreciate their professionalism on the other hand when I notice that people with valid usa visas from germany are getting passport requests within 10 days. Things are supposed to be done in a timely fashion in a developed country like Canada which is not a developing country.
I have not understood their visa application processing system. No unified parameters even for the same applications from the same country.

in short, we are not a priority.
So sorry to hear about your situation. Well, I’m already in Canada.. Wishing you best of luck

Miki21

May 13, 2023
12 weeks for background check and still waiting ..Eligibility not even started . Fingers crossed still

foxygrandpa

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
My parents' eligibility was approved in June. Since then, have been stuck at Background Verification. Don't know what to do either other than just wait miserably!

Mr.Mark.O

Jan 2, 2024
Anyone here has an update on their background check? Came across this forum since mine and my daughter’s application is still in progress. Last update on the tracker was Nov 22, 2023. Only biometrics is completed. No movement at all since then and stuck in background verification. Btw, my wife’s student visa has already been approved since first week of dec. Thanks for your insights

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Anyone here has an update on their background check? Came across this forum since mine and my daughter’s application is still in progress. Last update on the tracker was Nov 22, 2023. Only biometrics is completed. No movement at all since then and stuck in background verification. Btw, my wife’s student visa has already been approved since first week of dec. Thanks for your insights
Where are you from? Has eligibility started? Are you both applying for TRVs? If so, why if wife is going on a study permit. Her permit is processed separately. if wife’s program starts then she can come to Canada and study.

Mr.Mark.O

Jan 2, 2024
Where are you from? Has eligibility started? Are you both applying for TRVs? If so, why if wife is going on a study permit. Her permit is processed separately. if wife’s program starts then she can come to Canada and study.
i’m from the Philippines. My wife applied for a study, then I applied for Open work permit and my daughter for TRV. Me and daughter’s application has no movement since Nov 22 of last year. Eligibility hasn’t started yet as per the new tracker.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
i’m from the Philippines. My wife applied for a study, then I applied for Open work permit and my daughter for TRV. Me and daughter’s application has no movement since Nov 22 of last year. Eligibility hasn’t started yet as per the new tracker.
How old is your daughter? Processing for your permit is 13 weeks so well within processing times. So if you don’t get a response mid-February then follow up.