+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AVR- Automatic Visa Revalidation experience, March 5 2023

monglebest

Aug 20, 2023
Recommend you to contact your attorney.

You may need to contact CBP to update your I-94 to reflect your H1b status.
I checked the website today and it's updated correctly now. I didn't contact them yet.

It looks like the CBP system takes some time to reflect the most recent changes.

Rushpad

Aug 4, 2023
Just wanted to share my recent AVR experience, I hope this will help someone who is seeking information about AVR since there is only very few details in the internet.

So, I have an expired H1b Visa (expired last June 2023) but I got an approved extension until 2026. with the extension came along with form I-797A and an attached I-94 on the lower left of the I-797A form.

I travelled from the USA to Canada (Canadian Visitor Visa) last September 17-26, 2023 for a short vacation. Going to Canada was smooth sailing, going back to the USA was a different story. I was in Toronto Airport flying with AirCanada, at the check in counter my passport was denied because my H1b visa stamp is expired, I explained that I will be using AVR and handed her my I-797A, that particular staff (an old, but pleasant lady) I think wasn't familiar with AVR since it took her sometime to figure it out, she asked one of her colleagues about it and fortunately that colleague was familiar with AVR, she said she just need to override something in the computer and I was issued a boarding pass, it took about 15-20 minutes for it to be sorted out. Next step was security, no problems it was a breeze. next was CBP/immigration (most of the airports in Canada going to the USA has prescreening so you'll see CBP officers), when I got there, I immediately told the officer that I'm using the AVR and handed him my passport and I-797A. The Officer was knowledgeable about AVR, he only asked which part of the United States I was going and what is the purpose of my return, after that, I was cleared. However, At the boarding gates right before boarding the plane, the staff asked me why I'm flying with an expired visa, I explained again about AVR and told her that I was already cleared by CBP.

Needed Documents: Passport, original I-797A with I-94 attached.

I brought other documents as well just in case: I-797A supporting documents, employment certificate, 4 recent pay slips and documents about AVR. all of these weren't required but I brought these just in case, better prepared than sorry.

I hope this will help someone seeking info about AVR.

GloChinn

Nov 24, 2023
Thanks a ton for sharing your experience!

Can you please help me with these 2 questions:
1. Is the I-94 you have what came with the I797? (I have a valid I-94 from the latest I797A, but my most recent I94 per the I94 - Official Website (dhs.gov) has an expired Admit Until Date)
2. You will need to apply for and have a Canadian Visitir visa to enter Canada (same with Mexico); AVR only is for reentry to the US, not used to enter Canada. Correct?

Thanks in advance!!

Glo

Just wanted to share my recent AVR experience, I hope this will help someone who is seeking information about AVR since there is only very few details in the internet.

So, I have an expired H1b Visa (expired last June 2023) but I got an approved extension until 2026. with the extension came along with form I-797A and an attached I-94 on the lower left of the I-797A form.

I travelled from the USA to Canada (Canadian Visitor Visa) last September 17-26, 2023 for a short vacation. Going to Canada was smooth sailing, going back to the USA was a different story. I was in Toronto Airport flying with AirCanada, at the check in counter my passport was denied because my H1b visa stamp is expired, I explained that I will be using AVR and handed her my I-797A, that particular staff (an old, but pleasant lady) I think wasn't familiar with AVR since it took her sometime to figure it out, she asked one of her colleagues about it and fortunately that colleague was familiar with AVR, she said she just need to override something in the computer and I was issued a boarding pass, it took about 15-20 minutes for it to be sorted out. Next step was security, no problems it was a breeze. next was CBP/immigration (most of the airports in Canada going to the USA has prescreening so you'll see CBP officers), when I got there, I immediately told the officer that I'm using the AVR and handed him my passport and I-797A. The Officer was knowledgeable about AVR, he only asked which part of the United States I was going and what is the purpose of my return, after that, I was cleared. However, At the boarding gates right before boarding the plane, the staff asked me why I'm flying with an expired visa, I explained again about AVR and told her that I was already cleared by CBP.

Needed Documents: Passport, original I-797A with I-94 attached.

I brought other documents as well just in case: I-797A supporting documents, employment certificate, 4 recent pay slips and documents about AVR. all of these weren't required but I brought these just in case, better prepared than sorry.

I hope this will help someone seeking info about AVR.

Rushpad

Aug 4, 2023
Thanks a ton for sharing your experience!

Can you please help me with these 2 questions:
1. Is the I-94 you have what came with the I797? (I have a valid I-94 from the latest I797A, but my most recent I94 per the I94 - Official Website (dhs.gov) has an expired Admit Until Date)
2. You will need to apply for and have a Canadian Visitir visa to enter Canada (same with Mexico); AVR only is for reentry to the US, not used to enter Canada. Correct?

Thanks in advance!!

Glo
1. yes your new I-94 is attached at the lower left of your I797, they will update your online profile once you reenter back in the USA
2. Depending on what passport you have. In my case, yes I needed a canadian visitor visa to enter Canada, AVR is only for re entry to the USA.

datta9399

Sep 24, 2018
Guys, I’ve one question
I’m on H1 B working for a US employer and been living in Canada on PR for the most of the last year. Now had to go for stamping and it says to include last 5 US visits on DS 160 form and I only had spent 5 days for each US visit.

will it cause any issues or just use AVR until I become Canadian citizen in 8 months.

please advise

thank you

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Guys, I’ve one question
I’m on H1 B working for a US employer and been living in Canada on PR for the most of the last year. Now had to go for stamping and it says to include last 5 US visits on DS 160 form and I only had spent 5 days for each US visit.

will it cause any issues or just use AVR until I become Canadian citizen in 8 months.

please advise

thank you
Doesnt matter. Even if you had stayed only one day for each trip its fine!