+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AVR- Automatic Visa Revalidation experience, March 5 2023

zainali89

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
Hello,

Sharing my experience of using AVR from Toronto (YYZ).
Flew out of Toronto via American airlines. Checking in was smooth at the counter - no questions asked. Just gave them my passport and i-797, got my boarding pass. (5min total)
At US immigration, same thing gave my passport and i-797. They took me to secondary (always have been) (10min total).

No one asked for Canadian PR card or Canadian status.

*assuming you know what is AVR.
**assuming you have valid I-94 attached to your I-797.
***assuming you understand that you cannot attend a visa interview at a US consulate and use AVR.
****It doesn’t matter if you entered the US with a different visa class and had status change in land. For me, I entered at J visa, change of status to H was inland. So I didnt have any H visa

Hope this helps.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello,

Sharing my experience of using AVR from Toronto (YYZ).
Flew out of Toronto via American airlines. Checking in was smooth at the counter - no questions asked. Just gave them my passport and i-797, got my boarding pass. (5min total)
At US immigration, same thing gave my passport and i-797. They took me to secondary (always have been) (10min total).

No one asked for Canadian PR card or Canadian status.

*assuming you know what is AVR.
**assuming you have valid I-94 attached to your I-797.
***assuming you understand that you cannot attend a visa interview at a US consulate and use AVR.
****It doesn’t matter if you entered the US with a different visa class and had status change in land. For me, I entered at J visa, change of status to H was inland. So I didnt have any H visa

Hope this helps.
What questions did you face at the secondary inspection? Also did you fly to the city where you are currently working/the city which was on LCA??

zainali89

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
What questions did you face at the secondary inspection? Also did you fly to the city where you are currently working/the city which was on LCA??
No tricky questions I can think of. Pretty standard for me as I always go to secondary, whether flying on B1/B2 or J.
Questions like - where do you live, who do you work for, and last port of entry to the US. More like confirmation and not an interrogation.

I had 2 connections to my final destination. I doubt that matters.

Reactions: swan0206

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
No tricky questions I can think of. Pretty standard for me as I always go to secondary, whether flying on B1/B2 or J.
Questions like - where do you live, who do you work for, and last port of entry to the US. More like confirmation and not an interrogation.

I had 2 connections to my final destination. I doubt that matters.
Cool. Nice to know as i plan to use AVR sometime this year via air. I have used AVR last year via land border but not sure how it works if we are flying. If you have been using AVR via flight route may i know, if it isn't too often(like every week or month) did they always called you in for secondary? I know if its too long like more than 3months or 6months they call you in for secondary inspection. Also, was it because you had a change of status or you are in Canada for landing.

zainali89

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cool. Nice to know as i plan to use AVR sometime this year via air. I have used AVR last year via land border but not sure how it works if we are flying. If you have been using AVR via flight route may i know, if it isn't too often(like every week or month) did they always called you in for secondary? I know if its too long like more than 3months or 6months they call you in for secondary inspection. Also, was it because you had a change of status or you are in Canada for landing.
This was the first time I have used AVR.
But I used to travel may be twice a week to the US on B1/B2. So when they use to issue me i-94 i wld have to go in for sure. It used to smooth for next 6 months, until I need a new one. This time the officer stamped and issued i-94 until i-797 expiry i.e. 2025. So I am hoping if I travel again I will not need to go in again.

Reactions: swan0206

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
This time the officer stamped and issued i-94 until i-797 expiry i.e. 2025. So I am hoping if I travel again I will not need to go in again.
Thats right. You wouldn't need a new one untill 2025 unless you have a change of passport. I have been in that situation.
This was the first time I have used AVR.
But I used to travel may be twice a week to the US on B1/B2. So when they use to issue me i-94 i wld have to go in for sure. It used to smooth for next 6 months, until I need a new one.
Oh great to hear that. So you used to travel on B1/B2 twice a week, if i may know was that related work related meetings and all? Because i am seeing it for first time someone actually travelling frequently on B1/B2. I randomly heard from people but never seen someone in particular.

zainali89

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
Thats right. You wouldn't need a new one untill 2025 unless you have a change of passport. I have been in that situation.

Oh great to hear that. So you used to travel on B1/B2 twice a week, if i may know was that related work related meetings and all? Because i am seeing it for first time someone actually travelling frequently on B1/B2. I randomly heard from people but never seen someone in particular.
Correct - work related and family. I dont think they ever bothered by frequent travel. Later I also got Nexus to make it even smoother. Nexus card is still valid, but I dontno how does it work with H or AVR situation.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Correct - work related and family. I dont think they ever bothered by frequent travel. Later I also got Nexus to make it even smoother. Nexus card is still valid, but I dontno how does it work with H or AVR situation.
Oh ok. thanks for sharing your experience here. Keep us posted on how Nexus goes for H1.

Rushpad

Aug 4, 2023
Hi, I just would like to know if I qualify for an AVR.

My H1b visa stamp expired last June 5, 2023 but my stay/extension here in the US was approved until 2026 so I got a new I-797 with an I-94 attached to the lower left of the I-797 form.

If I'm qualified, what do I need to do or need to know before going to the airport?

I'm planning to have a short vacation in Canada (10 days)

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi, I just would like to know if I qualify for an AVR.

My H1b visa stamp expired last June 5, 2023 but my stay/extension here in the US was approved until 2026 so I got a new I-797 with an I-94 attached to the lower left of the I-797 form.

If I'm qualified, what do I need to do or need to know before going to the airport?

I'm planning to have a short vacation in Canada (10 days)
Yes, you do qualify for AVR. You didnt mention on what visa are you travelling to Canada. Assuming you have either a Canadian visitor visa or a PR you are good to go. Please carry all your documents along with your i797 and Passport if in case needed at the Cbp.

Reactions: Rushpad

Rushpad

Aug 4, 2023
Yes, you do qualify for AVR. You didnt mention on what visa are you travelling to Canada. Assuming you have either a Canadian visitor visa or a PR you are good to go. Please carry all your documents along with your i797 and Passport if in case needed at the Cbp.
hi swan, thank you for your reply, I am travelling with a Canadian Visitor visa.

what do I need to do when Im at the airport?.. Do I immediately inform the airline staff and the immigration officer that im using AVR?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
hi swan, thank you for your reply, I am travelling with a Canadian Visitor visa.

what do I need to do when Im at the airport?.. Do I immediately inform the airline staff and the immigration officer that im using AVR?
Airline staff are not bothered but yes at the immigration you need to let the officer know you are using AVR today to enter back into USA.

Rushpad

Aug 4, 2023
Airline staff are not bothered but yes at the immigration you need to let the officer know you are using AVR today to enter back into USA.
thanks for the info, I will try to update here on how it went when I'll fly sometime this September.

monglebest

Aug 20, 2023
I also come from YYZ airport back to US using AVR (19/Aug/2023). I have an expired F-1 stamp on my expired passport and a valid I-797 with H1B. I fly with Air Canada. I cannot use the online check in because my F-1 stamp is expired. So I go to the counter to print my boarding pass. The lady is new to her job but she also know that it's OK to print boarding pass with expired US visa stamp.

The US preclearance CBP at the Toronto airport didn't take us to the 2nd inspection. After some basic check, we passed it.

My i-94 travel history is updated but my i-94 record is still F-1 and D/S. I am not bothered by it and think it's OK to keep it in this way.

doiena

Dec 10, 2021
I also come from YYZ airport back to US using AVR (19/Aug/2023). I have an expired F-1 stamp on my expired passport and a valid I-797 with H1B. I fly with Air Canada. I cannot use the online check in because my F-1 stamp is expired. So I go to the counter to print my boarding pass. The lady is new to her job but she also know that it's OK to print boarding pass with expired US visa stamp.

The US preclearance CBP at the Toronto airport didn't take us to the 2nd inspection. After some basic check, we passed it.

My i-94 travel history is updated but my i-94 record is still F-1 and D/S. I am not bothered by it and think it's OK to keep it in this way.
Recommend you to contact your attorney.

You may need to contact CBP to update your I-94 to reflect your H1b status.