+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) to enter USA

CalitoCanada

Jan 29, 2021
My recent AVR experience -

Date of landing : Dec 29th 2020
Duration of Stay : 21 days
Date of departure : Jan 19th 2021
US Visa: H1b visa stamp (previous employer) expired on old passport. New passport with no visa stamp. Approved I 797 with new job.

Entry into Canada: Entered through Vancouver airport, no issues here. I had my PR card to enter.

Entry into USA:

Flew out of Toronto airport through Delta. The Delta agent who had to print my boarding pass wasn't aware of AVR. I explained it to him but he didn't know how to print the boarding pass since the system needed a valid visa. Another agent who was passing by was able to help him. I asked him how they handle AVR usually. He said that the agent needs to manually override the system and print the boarding pass when we travel using AVR and if they are not aware of the process they need to call up some helpline to do it. So he suggested showing up at the airport an hour earlier in case I was to do AVR again, just to give enough time to board the flight.

Immigration was done in Toronto. This was very straightforward. My previous I 94 on the CBP website was expired, so he updated the entry stamp with new date and gave me a new I 94, based on the date from my I 797. This took less than 10 minutes.

Reactions: swan0206

dvp411

Feb 3, 2021
Hello guys,

I'm planning on using AVR for re-entry. I am not sure how number of days are counted.
Departure from US : 10 January 10:30 pm
Arrival in Canada : 11 January 1:30 am
Arrival in US : 9 Feb 10 am

I'm unsure if this falls within 30 days or less as people are saying conflicting things online. Can someone please confirm? Thanks

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hello guys,

I'm planning on using AVR for re-entry. I am not sure how number of days are counted.
Departure from US : 10 January 10:30 pm
Arrival in Canada : 11 January 1:30 am
Arrival in US : 9 Feb 10 am

I'm unsure if this falls within 30 days or less as people are saying conflicting things online. Can someone please confirm? Thanks
By manual count, it looks like your 30 days will be up on 9th Feb at 10:30 pm. But, why are you cutting so close? Why don't leave go to USA on 7th or 8th Feb just to be safe?

Jan 22, 2021
Hello guys,

Thank you for all the informative posts here!

I am new to this forum and just discovered the possibility of using AVR to do a soft landing at US-Canada border.

Here is my situation:
I currently hold a valid CoPR which expires on Feb 25th, 2021.
I am a H1B holder with I94 validity until March 31st, 2021. My H1B extension process is currently in progress to extend my H1B's validity beyond 31st March.
I last exited and entered US in Dec, 2017 and as a consequence do not have a stamped H1B at this time.

As I read through the posts here, I figured i could maybe do a soft landing in Canada before Feb 25th myself.
The plan is to drive my car all the way from Los Angeles to Peace Arch(Pacific Highway Crossing -Blaine) port of entry between Feb 20th and 21st. Alternatively, I could fly to Seattle first, then rent a car for a day and drive to Peace Arch in the rental vehicle. I then intend to drive back to the US on the same day if possible. If not, i'll make provisions to stay put in Canada until the testing and quarantine formalities are attended to, if any.

Given that my current H1B is not stamped and is set to expire as early as March 31st 2021, am I still good to execute the soft landing plan without running into any issues when returning back to the US?

Also, are you aware of any new COVID testing formalities before and after entering the Canadian port of entry, akin to the testing rules now in place for passengers traveling by air?

Thanks so much for your inputs on this matter!

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hello guys,

Thank you for all the informative posts here!

I am new to this forum and just discovered the possibility of using AVR to do a soft landing at US-Canada border.

Here is my situation:
I currently hold a valid CoPR which expires on Feb 25th, 2021.
I am a H1B holder with I94 validity until March 31st, 2021. My H1B extension process is currently in progress to extend my H1B's validity beyond 31st March.
I last exited and entered US in Dec, 2017 and as a consequence do not have a stamped H1B at this time.

As I read through the posts here, I figured i could maybe do a soft landing in Canada before Feb 25th myself.
The plan is to drive my car all the way from Los Angeles to Peace Arch(Pacific Highway Crossing -Blaine) port of entry between Feb 20th and 21st. Alternatively, I could fly to Seattle first, then rent a car for a day and drive to Peace Arch in the rental vehicle. I then intend to drive back to the US on the same day if possible. If not, i'll make provisions to stay put in Canada until the testing and quarantine formalities are attended to, if any.

Given that my current H1B is not stamped and is set to expire as early as March 31st 2021, am I still good to execute the soft landing plan without running into any issues when returning back to the US?

Also, are you aware of any new COVID testing formalities before and after entering the Canadian port of entry, akin to the testing rules now in place for passengers traveling by air?

Thanks so much for your inputs on this matter!
I am not sure if you can travel internationally when H1B / extension petition is in progress. You should check with your lawyer about this. If they give you a thumbs up to travel, then you could enter USA using AVR.

As far as entering Canada is concerned, they are not requiring Covid negative result for land border crossing yet. However, they may ask you to quarantine for 14 days (since this is your first entry). So, you should be prepared to live/work from Canada for 14 days (in worst case situation).

Jan 22, 2021
I am not sure if you can travel internationally when H1B / extension petition is in progress. You should check with your lawyer about this. If they give you a thumbs up to travel, then you could enter USA using AVR.

As far as entering Canada is concerned, they are not requiring Covid negative result for land border crossing yet. However, they may ask you to quarantine for 14 days (since this is your first entry). So, you should be prepared to live/work from Canada for 14 days (in worst case situation).
Thank You so much for the response @AjeyaGupta!

My H1B extension was filed in premium mode a couple of days ago and I hope to have the approval documentation in the next few days before I travel to Canada.

I'll be prepared to quarantine myself, if I am asked to.

dvp411

Feb 3, 2021
By manual count, it looks like your 30 days will be up on 9th Feb at 10:30 pm. But, why are you cutting so close? Why don't leave go to USA on 7th or 8th Feb just to be safe?
Yeah I ended up getting back on 8th Feb through toronto airport. The visa officer was pretty straightforward, asked no questions regarding the number of days of my stay or purpose etc.

Jan 22, 2021
Hello guys,

Revisiting this thread with an updated situation at my end.

My H1B extension was approved in the premium mode last week and I should soon have a copy of the approved H1B with updated I-94 validity until October this year (I still do not have stamping done on my H1B visa though).

So, I was reconsidering executing the AVR plan, now that my H1B extension is approved. My CoPR is set to expire on Feb 25th and I wanted to land in Canada before then to activate my PR.

The plan is to fly from LA to Vancouver on Feb 19th and quarantine myself in Vancouver until March 7th (16 days). I was then planning on returning back to LA from Vancouver by invoking AVR on March 7th.

Do you see any issues with this plan?

Appreciate your inputs!

Thanks.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello guys,

My H1B extension was approved in the premium mode last week and I should soon have a copy of the approved H1B with updated I-94 validity until October this year (I still do not have stamping done on my H1B visa though).

So, I was reconsidering executing the AVR plan, now that my H1B extension is approved. My CoPR is set to expire on Feb 25th and I wanted to land in Canada before then to activate my PR.

The plan is to fly from LA to Vancouver on Feb 19th and quarantine myself in Vancouver until March 7th (16 days). I was then planning on returning back to LA from Vancouver by invoking AVR on March 7th.

Appreciate your inputs!

Thanks.
You should be good. Only thing is you might need to present a negative COVID test when you land. The dates show starting Feb 22nd but better to be on the safer side, call the Cbsa to findout the exact details.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/travel-restictions-border-1.5911845

Thanks.

rajgrk

Apr 17, 2019
Hello guys,

Appreciate your inputs!

Thanks.
Hello, I am in the same boat as you. My COPR is expiring on 5th March 2021 and I am in US. Could you please tell me what is your latest decision/plan? Did you try to extend your COPR? Thanks.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello Everyone - I've completed my soft landing on Feb. 25th and entered the U.S through "Peace Arch" land border using AVR. CBP officer had requested for the passport. I handed over both my old and new passport (tied together with a rubber band). Today when i downloaded my i94 online record from cbp website, I found an old/expired passport number mentioned on my I-94 record. Therefore, Just wanted to check..Is it fine to have an old/expired passport number on I-94 and not the new/valid passport number? (Just an FYI, I have my expired F-1 visa stamp present on my old/expired passport). I've also got the paper I-94 record attached to my new passport and it doesn't have any passport number mentioned on it.

Would be helpful if anyone can please answer this. Also, feel free to ask any questions related to using AVR. Thanks for all the information shared.
1. Yes thats totally fine to have old passport number on the i94. It would get refreshed after couple of entries.
2.Yes, the paper i94 wouldn't have any passport number mentioned on it. nothing to worry about that.

mkustocanada

Aug 8, 2019
Hello Everyone - I've completed my soft landing on Feb. 25th and entered the U.S through "Peace Arch" land border using AVR. CBP officer had requested for the passport. I handed over both my old and new passport (tied together with a rubber band). Today when i downloaded my i94 online record from cbp website, I found an old/expired passport number mentioned on my I-94 record. Therefore, Just wanted to check..Is it fine to have an old/expired passport number on I-94 and not the new/valid passport number? (Just an FYI, I have my expired F-1 visa stamp present on my old/expired passport). I've also got the paper I-94 record attached to my new passport and it doesn't have any passport number mentioned on it.

Would be helpful if anyone can please answer this. Also, feel free to ask any questions related to using AVR. Thanks for all the information shared.
Hello Varun,

Congrats on the soft landing. Could you please elaborate on your entry into Canada and your return to the US using the AVR process. I just wanted to know how your experience going back into the US using AVR was and how you submitted your covid test results to the US border official.

Thanks in advance!

mkustocanada

Aug 8, 2019
Hi - To enter the US using AVR, I handed over my passports and a valid I-797/I-94 document to the CBP officers. They just took 15-20 mins to issue a new I-94 record and allowed me to enter the US after that. I believe COVID test result is not required to enter the US through land borders (not sure if rules have changed after my travel). Though, you'll need to show COVID test result if you are planning air travel to enter the US. I would suggest to carry a COVID test report even if you are planning a land travel.

Hope this helps. Thanks!
Thank you for your help!

mkustocanada

Aug 8, 2019
Hi - To enter the US using AVR, I handed over my passports and a valid I-797/I-94 document to the CBP officers. They just took 15-20 mins to issue a new I-94 record and allowed me to enter the US after that. I believe COVID test result is not required to enter the US through land borders (not sure if rules have changed after my travel). Though, you'll need to show COVID test result if you are planning air travel to enter the US. I would suggest to carry a COVID test report even if you are planning a land travel.

Hope this helps. Thanks!
Hello Varun,

I wanted to know what your quarantine plan was when you entered Canada via land and how the Canadian officials monitored the quarantine period. I read online that they take a PCR test at the border and expect you to provide a negative PCR test on the 10th day of the quarantine. And also that they use an ArriveCAN app to monitor you as well. I wanted to know how your quarantine experience in Canada was? Thanks again for youe help!

Aug 17, 2019
We are planning to do our soft landing in the next 2 weeks. My wife's H1-B extension is approved but she does not have a stamp on her passport. My H4 extension is still pending. My question is: I know that for my wife, using the Automatic Revalidation option would be pretty straightforward since her H1B extension is approved. But what would be the outcome for someone like me? Whose H4 extension is in progress