+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) to enter USA

Roshwarner

Jul 6, 2020
Is AVR still applicable with the Proclamation/Executive Order now extending through March 2021? I came to Canada two weeks ago and the visa ban was extended yesterday, while I am in canada. I will be returning to the US in 3 days using AVR. Will there be any issues?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Is AVR still applicable with the Proclamation/Executive Order now extending through March 2021? I came to Canada two weeks ago and the visa ban was extended yesterday, while I am in canada. I will be returning to the US in 3 days using AVR. Will there be any issues?
i have travelled this Monday using AVR. Yes, you are good to go.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks so much! Was that by air or land?
AVR is nothing to do new visa ban. It was never banned last year too.
AVR is not specific to land/air.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
i have travelled this Monday using AVR. Yes, you are good to go.
Hi @swan0206 Thanks for your reply.

I have a valid i-797 (but with expired H1B visa). Is a valid i-797 with attached i-94 document enough to enter USA (using AVR)? Do we also need a separate letter from the employer explaining the reason for me entering USA (due to Covid situation)? Or is that not required?

Thank you
Ajeya Gupta

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi @swan0206 Thanks for your reply.

I have a valid i-797 (but with expired H1B visa). Is a valid i-797 with attached i-94 document enough to enter USA (using AVR)? Do we also need a separate letter from the employer explaining the reason for me entering USA (due to Covid situation)? Or is that not required?

Thank you
Ajeya Gupta
if not carry recent payslip.
Entry to US anytime is no different than how you entered first time. So you should be carrying all relevant documents - I797, copy of I129, copy of LCA etc.
AVR is nothing but seeking readmission at the port - avr doesnt cut short the usual admission process.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Entry to US anytime is no different than how you entered first time. So you should be carrying all relevant documents - I797, copy of I129, copy of LCA etc.
AVR is nothing but seeking readmission at the port - avr doesnt cut short the usual admission process.
Hi @harirajmohan can CBP ask IT folks (who can work remotely) on why we are physically going to office once every 30 days when we are able to work remotely for remaining 29 days and get deeper in what's our job role, whether it requires going to office during this pandemic times etc? Or could they ask something like why do you want to go when most offices are closed to control pandemic spread or most offices have everyone working remotely.. if asked , what could we do say to them? Can we say that we are entering to keep AVR active? I know someone who had similar scrutiny when they tried to enter during June at Detroit border.. CBP was very reluctant to let him in.. the officer asked him why he was attempting to travel in the middle of the pandemic when everything is close.. he somehow convinced that he has a meeting and got in.

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi @harirajmohan can CBP ask IT folks (who can work remotely) on why we are physically going to office once every 30 days when we are able to work remotely for remaining 29 days and get deeper in what's our job role, whether it requires going to office during this pandemic times etc? Or could they ask something like why do you want to go when most offices are closed to control pandemic spread or most offices have everyone working remotely.. if asked , what could we do say to them? Can we say that we are entering to keep AVR active? I know someone who had similar scrutiny when they tried to enter during June at Detroit border.. CBP was very reluctant to let him in.. the officer asked him why he was attempting to travel in the middle of the pandemic when everything is close.. he somehow convinced that he has a meeting and got in.
I dont know if we can enter for keeping h1 status active. Consult your lawyer or immigration team.

Last edited:

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I dont know if we can enter for keeping h1 status active. Consult your lawyer or immigration team.
I am just trying to understand if they ask such things in your recent experiences post pandemic.. because majority people working in IT can work remotely and don't have any real need to go to office these days.. So was trying to understand if you have heard them asking such things to anyone.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
OKay, understood. So, I guess I'll just carry typical documents like Employment Verification Letter, I-797, paystubs, LCA etc.

Thank you.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks for sharing i am bit scared this is my first avr h1 approved but not stamped
As long as you have your approved H1 copy(i797A) and passport, you should be fine. Also carry the related documents , like LCA, recent paystubs etc. Do not panic even if they are asking you to go to secondary inspection, they might give you a new i94 there. thats all.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Hello - Could anyone please answer my question on using AVR to enter the US without having an H-1B stamp and expired F-1 stamp? FYI, I've I-797A and I-94 valid till July 2022. I've to do a soft landing in short time. So, any help would be much appreciated.

Also, because of COVID situation, Is it now possible to fly back to the US on a same day without being quarantined for 14 days in Canada? I am planning to not step outside the airport and take a same day flight back to the US. Can anyone please share their experience?

Thanks in advance!!
you can definitely do AVR with expired F1 visa and approved H1 i797. However flying is going to pose challenges because Canada currently requires negative test for all air travelers entering and US requires negative covid test for all air travelers starting January 26. Try to use land borders or just plan to get the covid tests accordingly.

Immigrant8579

Jul 31, 2018
My recent AVR Experience -

Date of landing : Jan 16th 2021
Background - H1b, No H1b Visa Stamping on passport (Not been out of USA since 2012). F1 visa on passport
Soft Landing location - Peace bridge, Buffalo

At Canada Border:
  • Border Officer greeted us warmly, exchanged pleasantries and explained my visit details. He checked my COPR , asked us are heading in to Canada or US? We said, to US. And he handed a yellow slip & guided us to building inside
  • Inside the building, Officers are cordial and verified our docs and asked us about GTF doc, which we din't prepare prior. We let them know that we are going back to US and we fill out doc when we move here permanently. But they insisted on having GTF filled right there and we did.
  • Took around 60 mins, when we filling out GTF, officer took our finger prints and address to Ship our PR cards. Bcz of covid situation, she can't say for sure when we will receive our PR cards.
  • handed us our passports and Stamped COPR and directed us to USA border.
At US Border:
  • Border officer verified my Passport and H1b Approval copy.
  • Directed us to building inside, Officer got our passports and h1b. He said he updated some of my details in system and handed us back docs and passports. total time 15 mins
Overall Positive experience.

Reactions: swan0206