+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) to enter USA

mkustocanada

Aug 8, 2019
Hello Everyone - I've completed my soft landing on Feb. 25th and entered the U.S through "Peace Arch" land border using AVR. CBP officer had requested for the passport. I handed over both my old and new passport (tied together with a rubber band). Today when i downloaded my i94 online record from cbp website, I found an old/expired passport number mentioned on my I-94 record. Therefore, Just wanted to check..Is it fine to have an old/expired passport number on I-94 and not the new/valid passport number? (Just an FYI, I have my expired F-1 visa stamp present on my old/expired passport). I've also got the paper I-94 record attached to my new passport and it doesn't have any passport number mentioned on it.

Would be helpful if anyone can please answer this. Also, feel free to ask any questions related to using AVR. Thanks for all the information shared.
Hello Varun,

Congrats on the soft landing. Could you please elaborate on your entry into Canada and your return to the US using the AVR process. I just wanted to know how your experience going back into the US using AVR was and how you submitted your covid test results to the US border official.

Thanks in advance!

varungoel99

Jan 14, 2021
Hello Varun,

Congrats on the soft landing. Could you please elaborate on your entry into Canada and your return to the US using the AVR process. I just wanted to know how your experience going back into the US using AVR was and how you submitted your covid test results to the US border official.

Thanks in advance!
Hi - To enter the US using AVR, I handed over my passports and a valid I-797/I-94 document to the CBP officers. They just took 15-20 mins to issue a new I-94 record and allowed me to enter the US after that. I believe COVID test result is not required to enter the US through land borders (not sure if rules have changed after my travel). Though, you'll need to show COVID test result if you are planning air travel to enter the US. I would suggest to carry a COVID test report even if you are planning a land travel.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Reactions: Ammjyo

mkustocanada

Aug 8, 2019
Hi - To enter the US using AVR, I handed over my passports and a valid I-797/I-94 document to the CBP officers. They just took 15-20 mins to issue a new I-94 record and allowed me to enter the US after that. I believe COVID test result is not required to enter the US through land borders (not sure if rules have changed after my travel). Though, you'll need to show COVID test result if you are planning air travel to enter the US. I would suggest to carry a COVID test report even if you are planning a land travel.

Hope this helps. Thanks!
Thank you for your help!

mkustocanada

Aug 8, 2019

Hope this helps. Thanks!
Hello Varun,

I wanted to know what your quarantine plan was when you entered Canada via land and how the Canadian officials monitored the quarantine period. I read online that they take a PCR test at the border and expect you to provide a negative PCR test on the 10th day of the quarantine. And also that they use an ArriveCAN app to monitor you as well. I wanted to know how your quarantine experience in Canada was? Thanks again for youe help!

Aug 17, 2019
We are planning to do our soft landing in the next 2 weeks. My wife's H1-B extension is approved but she does not have a stamp on her passport. My H4 extension is still pending. My question is: I know that for my wife, using the Automatic Revalidation option would be pretty straightforward since her H1B extension is approved. But what would be the outcome for someone like me? Whose H4 extension is in progress

canprofus

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
We are planning to do our soft landing in the next 2 weeks. My wife's H1-B extension is approved but she does not have a stamp on her passport. My H4 extension is still pending. My question is: I know that for my wife, using the Automatic Revalidation option would be pretty straightforward since her H1B extension is approved. But what would be the outcome for someone like me? Whose H4 extension is in progress
you cannot do AVR until your H4 has been approved. sorry, there is no work around for this as you need i94 issued by USCIS to do AVR.

swan0206

May 14, 2019
If you have a valid i94, you can still use AVR. But make sure your i94 expiry is not too close. Just in case if you are not allowed to soft land and decide to 14-day quarantine, then its risky.