+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) to enter USA

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
We are planning to do our soft landing in the next 2 weeks. My wife's H1-B extension is approved but she does not have a stamp on her passport. My H4 extension is still pending. My question is: I know that for my wife, using the Automatic Revalidation option would be pretty straightforward since her H1B extension is approved. But what would be the outcome for someone like me? Whose H4 extension is in progress
you cannot do AVR until your H4 has been approved. sorry, there is no work around for this as you need i94 issued by USCIS to do AVR.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
We are planning to do our soft landing in the next 2 weeks. My wife's H1-B extension is approved but she does not have a stamp on her passport. My H4 extension is still pending. My question is: I know that for my wife, using the Automatic Revalidation option would be pretty straightforward since her H1B extension is approved. But what would be the outcome for someone like me? Whose H4 extension is in progress
If you have a valid i94, you can still use AVR. But make sure your i94 expiry is not too close. Just in case if you are not allowed to soft land and decide to 14-day quarantine, then its risky.

Monikap

Jun 17, 2019
Yes you should ask ircc

Hello - I've a query regarding expected time to receive PR card after completing the soft landing. I've completed my soft landing on Feb 25th, 2021 and expected to receive the PR card within 6 weeks (as per information guide shared by CBP officer). However, I haven't received it till now. It's been more than 9 weeks. I believe COVID could be a probable reason for the delay. But wanted to check, anybody in a similar situation here OR what's the expected time to receive PR card during COVID. Should I reach out to IRCC now? Please suggest. Thanks!!

Reactions: varungoel99

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hello - I've a query regarding expected time to receive PR card after completing the soft landing. I've completed my soft landing on Feb 25th, 2021 and expected to receive the PR card within 6 weeks (as per information guide shared by CBP officer). However, I haven't received it till now. It's been more than 9 weeks. I believe COVID could be a probable reason for the delay. But wanted to check, anybody in a similar situation here OR what's the expected time to receive PR card during COVID. Should I reach out to IRCC now? Please suggest. Thanks!!
You should check the processing time on IRCC website. If the days listed is more than 9 weeks, then IRCC may not even reply you back. Fyi, i submitted my PR card application on 1st Feb, and received my card on 20th April (~11.5 weeks)

Reactions: varungoel99

siddsin

Star Member
Sep 27, 2019
There is no requirement of 140. Where did you see?
You are fine as long as you have valid 194(and carry your necessary documents like how you entered earlier).
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1218/~/automatic-revalidation-for-certain-temporary-visitors
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1218/kw/automatic visa revalidation
Hi Hariraj,

My spouse has an expired visa stamping, but a valid i797 - i94 expires in October 2023.

I have a a valid i-539 (H4) till September 2022. I have a another pending H4 extension, which was applied for last year. That will extend the i-94 to October 2023 (same as my spouses H1b).

Can we go to Canada for soft landing and use AVR?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi Hariraj,

My spouse has an expired visa stamping, but a valid i797 - i94 expires in October 2023.

I have a a valid i-539 (H4) till September 2022. I have a another pending H4 extension, which was applied for last year. That will extend the i-94 to October 2023 (same as my spouses H1b).

Can we go to Canada for soft landing and use AVR?
If you have valid H4 which expires next year then why do you have H4 extension pending? Is that for H4 or for EAD? or it was the one through new company transfer?
Either case, we dont have confirmed outcomes on what would happen to pending extensions after travel. We dont know 100% they would extend the I94 or not or cancel the extension application itself.
But you can travel since you have valid I94. You have to make sure your extension get attended before your current I94 expires, i am sure it wont take that much time for your pending application to be adjudicated.

When my wife received new I94 at the border when we returned from Canada in 2016, the pending H4 application was cancelled from uscis because cbp adjudicated and gave a new I94(after the date of application at uscis) (denied due to cbp adjucated the application first - a technical thing within their internal processes hence nothing to worry on it) . So on your reentry to US, if they dont issue new I94 then i dont know how uscis would treat that situation. So we will have to find out but its not a big deal if they reject/accept since you can reapply anyway.

Last edited:

siddsin

Star Member
Sep 27, 2019
If you have valid H4 which expires next year then why do you have H4 extension pending? Is that for H4 or for EAD? or it was the one through new company transfer?
Either case, we dont have confirmed outcomes on what would happen to pending extensions after travel. We dont know 100% they would extend the I94 or not or cancel the extension application itself.
But you can travel since you have valid I94. You have to make sure your extension get attended before your current I94 expires, i am sure it wont take that much time for your pending application to be adjudicated.

When my wife received new I94 at the border when we returned from Canada in 2016, the pending H4 application was cancelled from uscis because cbp adjudicated and gave a new I94(after the date of application at uscis) (denied due to cbp adjucated the application first - a technical thing within their internal processes hence nothing to worry on it) . So on your reentry to US, if they dont issue new I94 then i dont know how uscis would treat that situation. So we will have to find out but its not a big deal if they reject/accept since you can reapply anyway.
Thank you so much for the reply!! Please find my response below in bold.

-Its for H4 extension, not EAD. It was the one through the new company transfer. My spouse had it till September 2022. Then the transfer to the new company happened in October 2020 and we applied for h1b and h4 premium processing. h1b got approved within 7 days and h4 is still pending. Nebraska Service Center has almost a year long wait.

- What do you mean when you say "You have to make sure your extension get attended before your current I94 expires, i am sure it wont take that much time for your pending application to be adjudicated."

- Another question - how will I know if they issue a new i94? isnt my current i94 the one which is on my approved i-539?

I think even if they cancel the pending h4 application (I wonder how I will find out), like you said, I can always just reapply.

siddsin

Star Member
Sep 27, 2019
Thank you so much for the reply!! Please find my response below in bold.

-Its for H4 extension, not EAD. It was the one through the new company transfer. My spouse had it till September 2022. Then the transfer to the new company happened in October 2020 and we applied for h1b and h4 premium processing. h1b got approved within 7 days and h4 is still pending. Nebraska Service Center has almost a year long wait.

- What do you mean when you say "You have to make sure your extension get attended before your current I94 expires, i am sure it wont take that much time for your pending application to be adjudicated."

- Another question - how will I know if they issue a new i94? isnt my current i94 the one which is on my approved i-539?

I think even if they cancel the pending h4 application (I wonder how I will find out), like you said, I can always just reapply.
Hi @harirajmohan - any thoughts on this?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

Ok. For my case too similar in 2016. My wife didnt have new I194 from new company as they said existing one from previous company will do. I was skeptical about it but still traveled to Canada. While returning there was no issue but dont know if its fully legal even though the officer was checking for sometime on couple of my I94(previous and new employer) and her one I94(only one from previous employer). Its better you check with your immigration team.

I meant to get the approved I94. So it goes back to above point.

CBP officer will decide if she/he wants to issue new one. Yes the I94 via I797/I539 is the one needed and mostly its enough for the officer but some officer issues new one while reentry.

Yes, you can always reapply and if they deny after your reentry then you will be sent a mail stating the reason why they denied(due to recent H4 I94 issuance by cbp). Before they deny they would mostly ask your recent passport copies to verify if you have travelled and issued a new I94. So you will get one or two communications from uscis. But its not a big deal except that you lost money. But the first point is the one you should clarify.

immi1

Jun 5, 2020
Hi,

I'm planning to soft land through Peace Arch bridge NY border crossing in July. I plan to use AVR since my H1B stamp expired on my passport. Last year in Apr 2020, I booked a visa appointment In India and cancelled it due to covid restrictions. Haven't travelled outside the US since then. Will I still be able to use AVR option. Please help.

Thank you

iamnavaneeth

Aug 11, 2019
Hi,

I'm planning to soft land through Peace Arch bridge NY border crossing in July. I plan to use AVR since my H1B stamp expired on my passport. Last year in Apr 2020, I booked a visa appointment In India and cancelled it due to covid restrictions. Haven't travelled outside the US since then. Will I still be able to use AVR option. Please help.

Thank you
Hi - Did you complete the soft landing process? Please share your expereince.

rj16

Star Member
May 19, 2015
New Jersey, USA
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
Hello.. Is there any recent experiences with AVR from a Canada land border? I live in the US, have Canada PR and planning to visit for 10 days in September. I would like to know if there are any recent challenges.
Additionally, I booked visa stamping appointment in India during April, which subsequently got cancelled due to Covid. I have not rescheduled since then. Does that impact AVR eligibility?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello.. Is there any recent experiences with AVR from a Canada land border? I live in the US, have Canada PR and planning to visit for 10 days in September. I would like to know if there are any recent challenges.
Additionally, I booked visa stamping appointment in India during April, which subsequently got cancelled due to Covid. I have not rescheduled since then. Does that impact AVR eligibility?
No impact on AVR . you are good.

Regarding visit, you are still good considering you are vaccinated ,filling arrive CAN app and covid negative test, but just be prepared with the proper reason for your travel.

mortynrick

Aug 22, 2021
Hello Everyone - I've completed my soft landing on Feb. 25th and entered the U.S through "Peace Arch" land border using AVR. CBP officer had requested for the passport. I handed over both my old and new passport (tied together with a rubber band). Today when i downloaded my i94 online record from cbp website, I found an old/expired passport number mentioned on my I-94 record. Therefore, Just wanted to check..Is it fine to have an old/expired passport number on I-94 and not the new/valid passport number? (Just an FYI, I have my expired F-1 visa stamp present on my old/expired passport). I've also got the paper I-94 record attached to my new passport and it doesn't have any passport number mentioned on it.

Would be helpful if anyone can please answer this. Also, feel free to ask any questions related to using AVR. Thanks for all the information shared.
Hello -

I had a question regarding the I-94 you received after entering the US on AVR. Did you get a new I-94 number, or is it the same as the one on your previous entry?