Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks. For re-entering to US by using AVR (stamping expired and H1B extension approved), what documents are required? Do we need Covid negative testing?
No restriction on US side.
Documents: Think as if you are entering first time(except stamping). So you have to take your documents proving your job. Apart from H1 documents set, take recent payslips.

Reactions: CanucksRajiv

CanucksRajiv

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Thanks.
No restriction on US side.
Documents: Think as if you are entering first time(except stamping). So you have to take your documents proving your job. Apart from H1 documents set, take recent payslips.
Thanks. So, only for Air travel to US we need covid negative test results. There is no testing requirement for the land border.

I will keep all the documents with me.

prit25

Aug 22, 2019
Hi, I am in US on H1B visa. My visa stamp has expired but I have an approved I797.
I have also received a COPR(validity till Nov 25th 2021) and Immigrant visa stamp on my passport. However, my passport was also expiring, so I applied for a renewal in the US from SFO embassy and got it renewed. Now I have a new passport and my COPR and Immigrant visa are still related to the old passport. Also, I am in Seattle, so I can visit a port of entry by road.

I have the following question :
1. What are the next steps in terms of "landing process" that I need to do in order to ensure that I can get the PR card ? What documents do I need to carry to the port of entry ?
2. Are there any changes/additions to the process due to COVID ?
3. Can I visit canada port of entry by road in a rental car and return back to US if I have the expired H1B stamp ? I believe the process is called "Automatic Revalidation". Is that still applicable during COVID times ?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi, I am in US on H1B visa. My visa stamp has expired but I have an approved I797.
I have also received a COPR(validity till Nov 25th 2021) and Immigrant visa stamp on my passport. However, my passport was also expiring, so I applied for a renewal in the US from SFO embassy and got it renewed. Now I have a new passport and my COPR and Immigrant visa are still related to the old passport. Also, I am in Seattle, so I can visit a port of entry by road.

I have the following question :
1. What are the next steps in terms of "landing process" that I need to do in order to ensure that I can get the PR card ? What documents do I need to carry to the port of entry ?
2. Are there any changes/additions to the process due to COVID ?
3. Can I visit canada port of entry by road in a rental car and return back to US if I have the expired H1B stamp ? I believe the process is called "Automatic Revalidation". Is that still applicable during COVID times ?
1. You need Canadian address. There is no guarantee that cbsa will agree to apply for pr card if you are not moving permanently but forum members were telling that you can simply call cic and give the Canadian address and you would automatically get your card even if cbsa doesnt update the address.
Carry your COPR, all passports, proof of funds in the form of bank statement.
2. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully
3. Yes no issues on avr. Make sure you have existing valid I94 before departing US. I assume you have the approved I797 with the valid I94.

prit25

Aug 22, 2019
1. You need Canadian address. There is no guarantee that cbsa will agree to apply for pr card if you are not moving permanently but forum members were telling that you can simply call cic and give the Canadian address and you would automatically get your card even if cbsa doesnt update the address.
Carry your COPR, all passports, proof of funds in the form of bank statement.
2. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully
3. Yes no issues on avr. Make sure you have existing valid I94 before departing US. I assume you have the approved I797 with the valid I94.
Can I give the Canadian address of a friend for receiving the PR card ? I am not moving permanently for the first time since I still need to wind up things in US before making the permanent move, but my COPR expiration is coming close, so I wanted to get the PR process underway.
Also, where can I call CIC from US ? Afaik, there is no way to contact them by phone outside of canada.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Can I give the Canadian address of a friend for receiving the PR card ? I am not moving permanently for the first time since I still need to wind up things in US before making the permanent move, but my COPR expiration is coming close, so I wanted to get the PR process underway.
Also, where can I call CIC from US ? Afaik, there is no way to contact them by phone outside of canada.
Yes you can give friends address.
Get the free canadian phone number in your smart phone by using some free apps and call from there. People try this way. If not you can anyway submit address change online at cic via webform.

prit25

Aug 22, 2019
Yes you can give friends address.
Get the free canadian phone number in your smart phone by using some free apps and call from there. People try this way. If not you can anyway submit address change online at cic via webform.
One last question, my wife is in US with me, but she is not part of the PR application and she does not intend to join me in Canada. CIC had still asked for all the information about my wife before issuing COPR including her medical.

When I received the COPR, it says my status as single but also lists my wife's information in the dependent section. Would it be a problem if I go with this COPR to the port of entry ?

Thanks

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
One last question, my wife is in US with me, but she is not part of the PR application and she does not intend to join me in Canada. CIC had still asked for all the information about my wife before issuing COPR including her medical.

When I received the COPR, it says my status as single but also lists my wife's information in the dependent section. Would it be a problem if I go with this COPR to the port of entry ?

Thanks
No, should be fine. CBSA officer may still ask on that and you can confirm that its only you who would be moving to Canada later.

prit25

Aug 22, 2019

Thanks
I also found out that in order to travel to canada for the landing process, one has to come ONLY if they are coming permanently and not temporary like in my case.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

Is that going to be an issue for me ? Also, I was planning to go and return the same day by road. Do I need to quarantine for 14 days in canada ?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I also found out that in order to travel to canada for the landing process, one has to come ONLY if they are coming permanently and not temporary like in my case.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

Is that going to be an issue for me ? Also, I was planning to go and return the same day by road. Do I need to quarantine for 14 days in canada ?
From 7th anyone can travel for non-essential hence you can enter for tourism too hence landing is covered. People were even traveling even before this date which they were not supposed to but cbsa was not denying out of courtesy since its a PR landing.

if you are vaccinated then no quarantine.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully

prit25

Aug 22, 2019
From 7th anyone can travel for non-essential hence you can enter for tourism too hence landing is covered. People were even traveling even before this date which they were not supposed to but cbsa was not denying out of courtesy since its a PR landing.

if you are vaccinated then no quarantine.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully
Hello Sir, do I need to book an appointment for the landing process or can I drive by road and let the CBSA officer know that I am there for PR Landing process ?

Also, what all documents do I need to take with me ? Do I need to take more photographs, or will they click the photo for the PR card there ?

Thanks

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hello Sir, do I need to book an appointment for the landing process or can I drive by road and let the CBSA officer know that I am there for PR Landing process ?

Also, what all documents do I need to take with me ? Do I need to take more photographs, or will they click the photo for the PR card there ?

Thanks
Please check with the people who recently landed. THere are few posts in the last week.

JBishnoi

Sep 7, 2021
Hi all, Has anyone entered US via land border Near Seattle, WA? Is H1b traveling back from Canada allowed through land border?

mkustocanada

Aug 8, 2019
Hello experts,

I had a quick question regarding AVR.
I have an expired us f1 visa stamp and an approved i797A with a valid i94 from my current employer.
I had gotten my initial i797A approved for my first employer and then had it transfered when I switched jobs to my current employer. Basically, I haven't left the country since I got my h1 COS and I had switched emplyer in that time as well.
Can I still use the AVR process with the i797 of my current employer and the expired visa? I will carry the previous employer's i797A as well.

Any adivse would be very helpful!
Thank you!