+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) to enter USA

im2gaurav

Jun 16, 2018
Hello everyone,

My spouse and I were able to successfully enter USA from Canada without any issues today, after completing our soft-landing in Canada. I used the AVR option to enter.

We landed in Canada by flight at Toronto Pearson Airport on June 16th and went into self-isolation for 14 days. During that time, the EO was signed on June 24th and I was a bit tensed if I’ll be allowed to return back to USA since I had an expired H1B stamp on my passport and was planning to use AVR. Also I was outside of USA when the EO was signed so wasn’t sure if it would affect me or not.

We flew back today (July 6th), from Pearson Airport. We were flying American Airlines. While we were checking in at the counter the lady behind the desk had no clue about AVR and was searching for a valid visa stamp on my passport. When I handed her the I-797A, she still did not understand what to do with it. After consulting with someone, she entered something on her computer from my I-797A, which allowed the system to print a boarding pass.

After that we crossed security and headed towards US Immigration. The officer was very polite and asked for our passports. I had an expired H1B Visa, with a valid I-797A and I-94, and my spouse had a valid F1 visa stamp with recent I-20.

Officer:- Why did you visit Canada? Answer: To immigrate and start the PR process.

Officer:- How long were you in Canada? Answer: 20 days

Officer:- Why so long and why didn’t you return back sooner? Answer: Because we had to self-isolate for 14 days.

Officer:- Where do you live? Answer: US City

Officer:- House Address? Answer: XXXXX (Not sure why he asked that)

He stamped our passports and handed them back to us. The whole process was smooth, without any issues. I did not have to mention anything about AVR to the officer.

The whole experience of soft-landing went well amidst the coronavirus outburst. My sincere thanks to everyone on this forum who have contributed their experiences and have taken time to answer questions posted by other members. I was closely following all the threads on this forum and reading everyone’s experience with border crossing, which gave me a lot of confidence boost.

My best wishes to all those who are planning a soft-landing soon and hopefully everything goes smoothly for you all as well. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions and I’ll be happy to answer them all.
Congrats.

Reactions: zaid.ahmed23

Roshwarner

Jul 6, 2020
Hello everyone,

My spouse and I were able to successfully enter USA from Canada without any issues today, after completing our soft-landing in Canada. I used the AVR option to enter.

We landed in Canada by flight at Toronto Pearson Airport on June 16th and went into self-isolation for 14 days. During that time, the EO was signed on June 24th and I was a bit tensed if I’ll be allowed to return back to USA since I had an expired H1B stamp on my passport and was planning to use AVR. Also I was outside of USA when the EO was signed so wasn’t sure if it would affect me or not.

We flew back today (July 6th), from Pearson Airport. We were flying American Airlines. While we were checking in at the counter the lady behind the desk had no clue about AVR and was searching for a valid visa stamp on my passport. When I handed her the I-797A, she still did not understand what to do with it. After consulting with someone, she entered something on her computer from my I-797A, which allowed the system to print a boarding pass.

After that we crossed security and headed towards US Immigration. The officer was very polite and asked for our passports. I had an expired H1B Visa, with a valid I-797A and I-94, and my spouse had a valid F1 visa stamp with recent I-20.

Officer:- Why did you visit Canada? Answer: To immigrate and start the PR process.

Officer:- How long were you in Canada? Answer: 20 days

Officer:- Why so long and why didn’t you return back sooner? Answer: Because we had to self-isolate for 14 days.

Officer:- Where do you live? Answer: US City

Officer:- House Address? Answer: XXXXX (Not sure why he asked that)

He stamped our passports and handed them back to us. The whole process was smooth, without any issues. I did not have to mention anything about AVR to the officer.

The whole experience of soft-landing went well amidst the coronavirus outburst. My sincere thanks to everyone on this forum who have contributed their experiences and have taken time to answer questions posted by other members. I was closely following all the threads on this forum and reading everyone’s experience with border crossing, which gave me a lot of confidence boost.

My best wishes to all those who are planning a soft-landing soon and hopefully everything goes smoothly for you all as well. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions and I’ll be happy to answer them all.
Hey Congratulations! I’m planning to go back to the US from Toronto Pearson Intl airport in a week. I’m flying Air Canada. I have an expired F1 visa and valid I797 and I94. I called the CBP officer at Toronto Pearson yesterday and he said I can not enter the US and it confused me. What to do in a situation like this?

zaid.ahmed23

Oct 30, 2019
Hey Congratulations! I’m planning to go back to the US from Toronto Pearson Intl airport in a week. I’m flying Air Canada. I have an expired F1 visa and valid I797 and I94. I called the CBP officer at Toronto Pearson yesterday and he said I can not enter the US and it confused me. What to do in a situation like this?
If I am not mistaken, you can still use AVR for crossing the border with an expired F1 Visa stamp, but valid I-797A and I94. @harirajmohan - Can you please comment on this, since I am not 100% sure?

Update:- I know its a tough and confusing situation for you. Looking at your previous messages, I see many members have already answered your query. Sorry, @harirajmohan for mentioning you in the message. Have faith and try to search this forum where people in your situation have crossed the border. You'll definitely find someone who would have been in a similar situation like you and was successful in using AVR. :)

Last edited:

ash_imt

Apr 12, 2018
Hi All,

Quick update, this might help for future travelers. We were able to do soft landing and come back to US, stayed there for 15 days and returned using AVR. Travelled on June 5th returned 20th, only had expired F1 stamp on passport and carried H1 approval 797 and i94 attached to it. Only minimal questions asked at POE.

Thanks.
I need to go mexico for 5 days for my 4 year son's medical needs ( please trust me ). I have L1A expired visa , I797 and I 94 . Can i go and come back

terebium

Jul 23, 2019
Guys I boarded air Canada from Calgary this morning july13. Air Canada agent was awesome and knowledgeable. She took my i797 and then handed the boarding passes. Cbp was equally painless. Didn't asked me anything other than y I am visiting Canada. AVR works...cheers guys

terebium

Jul 23, 2019
I want to state that cbp in Vancouver was very friendly and they empathized with the current visa situation. They definitely know what the EO means and that the AVR is not affected. I want to thank everyone to give me courage to try AVR. God bless u all

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Congratulations on the successfully landing and returning back to U.S! I have the similar situation and plan to do a soft landing in later July. I have a question about the self-quarantine. Does the quarantine means strictly staying inside hotels/airbnb for the 14-days? I read that the they will need the quarantine plan including information about how will you get health care if needed, may I ask what kind of information did you provide for that part?

Thank you very much!
Apparently, no more soft landing allowed. Any plans?

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Hello,

My wife's and mine COPR is expiring on September. She is on H4. We're planning to do soft landing.

But the question is can H4 also use AVR to return US on expired visa stamp after soft landing in Canada?
Soft landing is not allowed apparently, will be grateful if you keep us updated?

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
"Travelling from any country other than the US
If we issued your confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) on or before March 18, 2020, you
  • are exempt from the travel restrictions and
  • can travel to Canada with your CoPR to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident
Check the issue date in the Application Details section of your CoPR to see if this applies to you.

Travelling from the US
You can travel to Canada from the United States to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident if

• we approved your application and
  • we sent you a CoPR"
Check out the settle and live part, it's present in multiple pages now.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Mine expired few weeks back and the one of the guys in the threads received this email:

According to our records, you have indicated that you are now ready to travel to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident. Currently, only CoPR holders whose travel to Canada is considered essential are able to enter Canada. In addition, some public health measures are in place to limit the spread of COVID-19 in Canada.

Accordingly, we ask that you confirm that you are able to fulfill the requirements described below. In order for IRCC to determine if you can indeed travel to Canada, you must provide the following:

1. Your plans to live and settle in Canada upon arrival
· documents to support your living situation in Canada (i.e. address, lease agreement, home ownership document)
· employment plans in Canada, (i.e. location of work, letter from employer)
· any other relevant information.

ShraddhaP

Jul 15, 2020
Both lease agreement AND letter from employer/work location is Mandatory?

or Either lease agreement OR letter from employer/work location??

how is it possible to have a offer letter from Canada while sitting in US? Most companies in Canada do not even interview you if you are outside Canada. They ask you to come to Canada and then they interview

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Both lease agreement AND letter from employer/work location is Mandatory?

or Either lease agreement OR letter from employer/work location??

how is it possible to have a offer letter from Canada while sitting in US? Most companies in Canada do not even interview you if you are outside Canada. They ask you to come to Canada and then they interview
I don't know how will you get a lease agreement without credit history there either. Also, this seems unfair after reassuring that there will be no problems with PR if you extend. Hopefully this is temporary condition.

ShraddhaP

Jul 15, 2020
I did call one apartment complex in Vacouver, they said i have to run my credit check and send them the credit report. Based on which i can sign a lease. But without knowing where i will get a job, how do i sign a lease somewhere for 13 months!! I think they replied you that based on what current rules apply to enter Canada whether your CoPR is expires or not. If you go after the rules are lifted, then No Soft Landing rule will be gone

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
I did call one apartment complex in Vacouver, they said i have to run my credit check and send them the credit report. Based on which i can sign a lease. But without knowing where i will get a job, how do i sign a lease somewhere for 13 months!! I think they replied you that based on what current rules apply to enter Canada whether your CoPR is expires or not. If you go after the rules are lifted, then No Soft Landing rule will be gone
It also mentions just 'address' maybe try saying staying with a friend while I find the job. Do you need this to enter now or just for extension?

ShraddhaP

Jul 15, 2020
No clue. I think it will be better to ask IRCC that do you need an offer letter to prove that you are going to settle in Canada, or just coming there and finding a job is considered as settling?