+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian Police check - Do I need Fingerprints done??

elsypelle

Feb 27, 2013
Hi Folks,

So I am an Australian applying for common-law Permanent Residency with my Canadian Boyfriend and I am getting a little confused with the wording on the cic website so are any Australians going through the same things able to clarify/confirm the following...
Seeing as I have only lived in Canada and Australia I need
Australia - Standard Disclosure Name Check (no fingerprints needed)
Canada - Criminal Record check with fingerprints needed

Does this sound right?
Thanks guys, any information would be great as I'm just in the early stages of the form.
Elsy

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
As far as I was aware you don't need to get Canadian, because they do it for you. Australian, you only need to get the name check- it used to be fingerprints as well but they changed it sometime last year. Good luck!

elsypelle

Feb 27, 2013
Thanks Bagel! Just wondering but do you know where you got this information or do you just remember because it's different to something you dealt with? Thanks! Tried calling CIC but they're always busy :(

c12345

Mar 31, 2012
Visa Office......
Sydney AUSTRALIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2012
Passport Req..
20-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2013
I think bagel is right. My husband got the Canadian police check but I don't think it was necessary.

elsypelle

Feb 27, 2013
Thanks guy fingers crossed then, I'm still a little confused about it all, just reading over the forms... So then what is the Authorisation of release of info about then? Because it sounds like this is something you send in with the forms so they (CIC) can do the checks themselves.
However at the bottom it says "Please send the police certificate directly to the applicant. If you are unable to provide a certificate/clearance, please send the applicant a written explanation. Thank you."
.. Why would they be sending the police check to me instead of Immigration Canada? Doesn't make sense.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to help. This is the ONE thing I can't get my head around and as we all know we want to be sure. Don't want this application being delayed!
Thanks

zenn

Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2012
AOR Received.
26-09-2012
Med's Done....
10-05-2012; Re-med: 06/2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
26-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2013
elsypelle said:
Thanks guy fingers crossed then, I'm still a little confused about it all, just reading over the forms... So then what is the Authorisation of release of info about then? Because it sounds like this is something you send in with the forms so they (CIC) can do the checks themselves.
However at the bottom it says "Please send the police certificate directly to the applicant. If you are unable to provide a certificate/clearance, please send the applicant a written explanation. Thank you."
.. Why would they be sending the police check to me instead of Immigration Canada? Doesn't make sense.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to help. This is the ONE thing I can't get my head around and as we all know we want to be sure. Don't want this application being delayed!
Thanks
Hey! I had to apply for an Australian Police Clearance as well as I studied there for over 5 years...
As far as I know only the name check is required - that's all I did...

You must have the PCC mailed back to your residential address. Once you receive it, maintain a scanned copy of it for your records and send CIC the ORIGINAL document...!

Hope this helps :) Good luck

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
elsypelle said:
Thanks
any name checks/fingerprint checks you order from Australia will get processed and the form will get sent to you. The only reason we needed to get a fingerprint check from Rcmp was when my fiancee was applying for his Australian VISA- but anythig Canadian related, they sort out on their side. It isn't stated anywhere specifically, but on the forms it mentions living abroad for six months or more- meaning anywhere (as an OUTSIDE applicant outside or Canada. I don't know of one person already living in Canada that had to supply CAnadian figerprints even those living inland applying Outland. I will try and find some specific wording on the instruction manual and update this post. :)

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
I am looking at the applying INLAND forms and know which form you are talking about now (Appendix A). From that form I gather it's basically something you can fill out to make your application for a name check to other countries much easier. In other words, it's not necessarry, buts assists in streamlining the request. You don't need fingerprints for Australia, so Appendix b is not relevant. Hopefully this helps!