Australia Immigration

Fly2Can

Star Member
Apr 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jairichi said:
Please do not call me sir.
Look at Q15 where the option of IELTS test result is not required. Otherwise it is mandatory. Check with AITSL.
The following mail has been sent to AITSL by my friend:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to apply for migration to Australia as a Secondary School Teacher. The first major step is the AITSL Assessment of my Educational, Professional and English Language proficiency. After going through the application checklist, I find myself qualifying for the same in my education and professional qualifications.

In recent appearance in IELTS General Training, I have scored L R W S as 8.5, 8, 7, 8 bands respectively. I saw in the checklist, for English Language Proficiency it is Academic IELTS Test but written as 'if applicable'.

I request you to explain the meaning of that. I would like to ask you if I can use the same score to apply for assessment from you.

Yours faithfully,

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
I've lost all hope now; it seems that my employer just does not want to give any kind of letter with my job duties listed

In this case, can ACS still do my skills assessment? Or, are my chances of applying completely gone? I know I will probably receive 0 for work experience, but will they at least do the assessment? And, can I use it to still apply for PR?

I still have the letter from my old company, and also a letter from my current company without the job duties.

I feel really frustrated now, and it feels like the end of the world

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do not get frustrated. Is it possible to get a statutory declaration from your manager or senior colleague? Ex or present?
Do provide me your work experience in detail. I will try to see what chances you have. I am not an expert but will try.
prasanna1157 said:
I've lost all hope now; it seems that my employer just does not want to give any kind of letter with my job duties listed

In this case, can ACS still do my skills assessment? Or, are my chances of applying completely gone? I know I will probably receive 0 for work experience, but will they at least do the assessment? And, can I use it to still apply for PR?

I still have the letter from my old company, and also a letter from my current company without the job duties.

I feel really frustrated now, and it feels like the end of the world

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Thank you very much, Jairichi. Here's some information:

Qualification:
B.Tech in Information Technology from India
Master's in Computer Science from the U.S.

Work experience:

Jan 2011 - May 2015 - Software developer in my old company, for which I have the employment letter in the necessary format.
May 2015 - Till Date - Software developer at my current company; I have a letter with everything else except for my roles and responsibilities.

I do have a senior colleague who is like a mentor to me who will be ready to help me with the statutory declaration. I have one concern though - He doesn't work directly for my company; he is employed through a consulting company but he works on my team, is much senior to me and does exactly the same work as I do. Is it OK to have him give the reference?

Anything else I can try? Thank you very much!

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Had a discussion with my wife and this what we have to say for you. With your bachelor's and master's education relevant to your work experience you might lose 1 year of your work experience to determine the date from which you are deemed skilled.

From your first work experience you get 3 years and 5 or 6 months. From your current employer you can claim a year of work experience (only if you have R&Rs). Our ideas:
1. Look at expatforum.com to see whether ACS deducts only 1 year when an applicant has a master's degree with both UG and PG degree related to occupation. If it is the case then there is no need to get a letter from current employer as points are given for 3 years or 5 years. If no then point 2.
2. Get a statutory declaration (SD) from that senior. In SD a small para could be how he is connected to your company and your team followed by your designation, duration, full time or part time, and R&Rs. Attach the letter you got from your current employer along with proof of being paid (salary slips or IT returns). In addition, your senior has to get a letter from his employer (consulting company) that he is an employee of that company and he work for this "so and so" client (i.e. your employer). If no then point 3.
3. Worst case scenario you might get a positive assessment but will not get any points for work experience. In this case how many points would you score?

Hope this is clear to you.

prasanna1157 said:
Thank you very much, Jairichi. Here's some information:

Qualification:
B.Tech in Information Technology from India
Master's in Computer Science from the U.S.

Work experience:

Jan 2011 - May 2015 - Software developer in my old company, for which I have the employment letter in the necessary format.
May 2015 - Till Date - Software developer at my current company; I have a letter with everything else except for my roles and responsibilities.

I do have a senior colleague who is like a mentor to me who will be ready to help me with the statutory declaration. I have one concern though - He doesn't work directly for my company; he is employed through a consulting company but he works on my team, is much senior to me and does exactly the same work as I do. Is it OK to have him give the reference?

Anything else I can try? Thank you very much!

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Thank you very much, jairichi. You are being so helpful!

One question about the part where my senior has to get a reference from his company - I looked at the ACS guidelines for statutory declaration, and it only says that they have to tell how they're related to me and then outline my roles and responsibilities. In that case, can't he just write that letter as a senior developer who oversees my work? Do we need to make it explicit how he's related to my company and to me? I am just asking to know..

Also, I currently have:

Age - 30 points
Education - 15 (potentially after ACS assessment)
English skills - 10 (IELTS >7)

So, I am only at 55 minus work experience. I am also considering taking the PTE-A and hopefully improving my language score from 10 to 20. Do you have any suggestions?

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prasanna1157 said:
Thank you very much, jairichi. You are being so helpful!

One question about the part where my senior has to get a reference from his company - I looked at the ACS guidelines for statutory declaration, and it only says that they have to tell how they're related to me and then outline my roles and responsibilities. In that case, can't he just write that letter as a senior developer who oversees my work? Do we need to make it explicit how he's related to my company and to me? I am just asking to know..

Also, I currently have:

Age - 30 points
Education - 15 (potentially after ACS assessment)
English skills - 10 (IELTS >7)

So, I am only at 55 minus work experience. I am also considering taking the PTE-A and hopefully improving my language score from 10 to 20. Do you have any suggestions?
You quoted the right thing from ACS website. My concern is because your senior is not a a direct employee of your employer. The letter might or might not be asked at assessment stage or at the time of visa lodging. It is better to have that letter just in case the need arise. If only 1 year is deducted from your work experience you might still get 5 points for work experience. This will take your score to 60 and so eligible for 189 visa. But, it might be a long wait with 60 points. You can write PTE or improve your IELTS score to boost your points by another 10 to get 70 points and it will be a quick invite. Or you can apply for state sponsorship and get 5 points to apply for 190 visa.

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Thank you again, jairichi. I've posted my question on expat forum, I'll let you know what I find.

I couldn't find any mention of this on the ACS site itself. Have you seen this yourself somewhere or heard from someone (about Master's degree and deducting 1 year only)?

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prasanna1157 said:
Thank you again, jairichi. I've posted my question on expat forum, I'll let you know what I find.

I couldn't find any mention of this on the ACS site itself. Have you seen this yourself somewhere or heard from someone (about Master's degree and deducting 1 year only)?
I'm very skeptical about this "Master's degree saves 1 year" thing. Never seen this on ACS site. Maybe there was something like that in the past, but not anymore..

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thejkhan said:
I'm very skeptical about this "Master's degree saves 1 year" thing. Never seen this on ACS site. Maybe there was something like that in the past, but not anymore..
I used the words "might" and "IF" and I did not say it as a matter of fact. And, I have asked him to check it out in other forums to see if anyone had such an experience.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prasanna1157 said:

This is from 2014. I do not know whether anything new has come after this. This is just to give an idea and does not confirm my guess (deduction of 1 year with a master's degree).
https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

Jayy

Star Member
Sep 21, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jairichi said:
This is from 2014. I do not know whether anything new has come after this. This is just to give an idea and does not confirm my guess (deduction of 1 year with a master's degree).
https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf
You're being a good help to everyone buddy. +1 to you.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jayy said:
You're being a good help to everyone buddy. +1 to you.
Thanks Jayy. Trying to provide an available option to others who are stuck here with their Canadian PR aspiration. Their choice after knowing about this option.