+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AUGUST 2020 *OUTLAND* SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

Huniverse

Jan 13, 2021
That means it might take another 2 years ?
Dont think so, if you get AOR 1, count 14 months and mayb thats the end. Perhaps ircc catch the time and they finish the app in 12 months, like they promised, but, well, waiting seems to be eternal, also i didnt get the aor 1.

Reactions: Simar007_

ars23

Jul 14, 2020
Are there expected amounts of time to wait between receiving your AOR and getting your Biometrics or Medical requests? Or is it just as random as when you get your AOR?

Thanks!

mav.tgif

Jan 29, 2021
Hello Everyone. My name is Chris. This forum had been a great help for me while I was working on sponsoring my wife to come to Canada, so I thought I'd give a little back by sharing our experience, from start to finish, in hope that you might find it helpful. I know the hardest thing is waiting, and so hopefully the dates and timelines that I provide an idea of how long you have to wait for your spousal sponsorship to move forward.

(PS: Also for Filipinos, check out my thread about CFO after getting your visa, to complete my story).

Gathering Documents for Application

Very quickly about our situation: I was born in the Philippines but my family moved to Canada in 1995 and we became citizens in 2000 while we were still required to renounce our Philippine Citizenship. In other words, I am Filipino-Canadian with only a Canadian Citizenship/Passport. I met my wife online in 2015, and we got married in 2019. She is Filipina, obviously. And before we got married she visited me in Japan, where I was working at the time, once, and I visited her four times.. the last was for our "Pamamanhikan". We then got married in Hong Kong in May 2019 and she joined me in Japan for the last 3 months of my work contract there... She had a multiple-entry, 30-day visa to Japan so she returned to the Philippines 2x (staying 1 week each time) in order to "renew" her 30-day stay. Finally in August 2019, I finished my contract and we moved to the Philippines and started on her visa for Canada. At the time, I was expecting the process to take no longer than 6 months so I was preparing to return to Canada by February or March 2020 (I even had a job offer). But for various reasons, not just the pandemic, it took longer.

Our first problem was gathering the documents to submit for the application. The main reason: we decided to wait until she had her name changed on her passport before starting the application. I figured going through that process first will save us some headaches later. In one sense, it did. But it also delayed our sending her Sponsorship application in by about 3 months. First Problem: Our Report of Marriage to the Philippine Embassy in Hong Kong was not forwarded to PSA like they said it would be... So getting secured marriage document from the PSA took until the beginning of September (we arrived in the Philippines first week of August so almost a month) and about 3-4 visits to PSA Main in QC.

After we got the secured document, we did her change of status with PRC so she could get a new PRC ID with her married name (she was a teacher). For that, thankfully, we had a trip planned to Puerto Princessa in the middle of September and her she was able to get an appointment at the PRC there. Otherwise, she would have had to wait maybe a month to 6 weeks for an appointment at the PRC offices in Manila. Finally we were ready to get her passport, which we did end of September. That was pretty easy... DFA at Ali Mall had an appointment slot that we liked, etc. We got it expedited too, so by pretty much by 2nd week of October we were ready to submit.

Unfortunately, I was procrastinating a little with completing the application, etc and it took about 2 more weeks to gather the rest of the documents, photos, etc. The final item we needed, her NBI (police) Clearance Certificate, we tried to get on Oct 31... I'm sure Filipinos know the problem with that... it's a holiday... and the NBI office was only open half day, and we arrived there at like 1:30pm or so. Then when we came back a few days later, she had a "hit" on her name, mainly because of her name change - anyway, it wasn't a problem but it added a few more days to getting her certificate. Finally around the 2nd week of November we completed her application and we felt ready to mail it all in.

IRCC Application

We did and we got AOR on 27 November 2019. Things progressed pretty quickly and normally after that...
  • Dec 23 - Qualified as Sponsor / Received Medical & Biometrics Instructions (same day, separate emails)
  • Jan 2 - Completed Medical @ BGC St. Luke's
  • Jan 3 - Completed Bioemetrics @ VAC Manila
  • Jan 14 - Processing officially begins
Things were moving so well that I felt pretty confident about the situation. Unfortunately the job offer I had was rescinded in January 2020, but since I was confident about our application, I actually started applying for other jobs in Canada. My line was basically, "Were in the Philippines right now, we expect to be back in Canada by May 2020." How wrong was I huh?

First of all, despite our due diligence to make sure we sent in the right documents, they were not satisfied with our proofs of marriage... The documents we sent were our Hong Kong marriage certificate and the Report of Marriage to the Philippine Embassy in Hong Kong on PSA paper (I think this basically serves as our Marriage Certificate in the Philippines)... On March 6, we received a new request for an "Advisory on Marriage" ... This is basically the Opposite of a CENOMAR. In fact you apply for a CENOMAR to get it. While CENOMAR certifies NO marriage, AOM certifies that you ARE married... Anyway... as you can see from the date, this is around the time when the world started panicking about COVID-19.

Knowing that something extraordinary was happening, we decided to do both online and in person, and by 15 March 2020, we had the AOM and sent it in by email. Unfortunately, that was also the day NCR (and Cainta, where we lived) went into Community Quarantine. And so basically we heard.. nothing. Absolutely nothing for nearly 5 months. Well except for a March 16 automated acknowledgement of my email sending the document, followed almost immediately by a mass email explaining that the Embassy was going to operate under "reduced staff".

FINALLY, 24 August 2020, we got another email! Horay! Unfortunately, it was to tell me that I DIDN'T actually attach a document to my March 15 email.*sigh*. I'll tell you what, I've never responded to an email faster in my entire life. Things progressed normally after that, or as normally as things will be Post-COVID I suppose...
  • Sep 23, Status online Changes to Decision Made
  • Oct. 6, Passport Request
  • Oct. 21ish, Passport returned with Visa & COPR / Flights Booked for 11 November 2020
Yes indeed, things moved well. Unfortunately we were missing one big piece of the puzzle... CFO. Despite being born in the Philippines, I am a Foreigner as far as the Philippine government is concerned. And as my wife is leaving the Philippines for the first time on a Permanent Residence Visa as the wife of a foreigner, that of course meant: Guidance and Counseling Certificate and a CFO sticker. Which, since we knew nothing about it, we didn't get. So we couldn't leave on 11 November. Which was especially unfortunate because we lived in Cainta and... Typhoon Ulysses.

Last edited:

Simar007_

Jan 4, 2021
Hello Everyone. My name is Chris. This forum had been a great help for me while I was working on sponsoring my wife to come to Canada, so I thought I'd give a little back by sharing our experience, from start to finish, in hope that you might find it helpful. I know the hardest thing is waiting, and so hopefully the dates and timelines that I provide an idea of how long you have to wait for your spousal sponsorship to move forward.

(PS: Also for Filipinos, check out my thread about CFO after getting your visa, to complete my story).

Gathering Documents for Application

Very quickly about our situation: I was born in the Philippines but my family moved to Canada in 1995 and we became citizens in 2000 while we were still required to renounce our Philippine Citizenship. In other words, I am Filipino-Canadian with only a Canadian Citizenship/Passport. I met my wife online in 2015, and we got married in 2019. She is Filipina, obviously. And before we got married she visited me in Japan, where I was working at the time, once, and I visited her four times.. the last was for our "Pamamanhikan". We then got married in Hong Kong in May 2019 and she joined me in Japan for the last 3 months of my work contract there... She had a multiple-entry, 30-day visa to Japan so she returned to the Philippines 2x (staying 1 week each time) in order to "renew" her 30-day stay. Finally in August 2019, I finished my contract and we moved to the Philippines and started on her visa for Canada. At the time, I was expecting the process to take no longer than 6 months so I was preparing to return to Canada by February or March 2020 (I even had a job offer). But for various reasons, not just the pandemic, it took longer.

Our first problem was gathering the documents to submit for the application. The main reason: we decided to wait until she had her name changed on her passport before starting the application. I figured going through that process first will save us some headaches later. In one sense, it did. But it also delayed our sending her Sponsorship application in by about 3 months. First Problem: Our Report of Marriage to the Philippine Embassy in Hong Kong was not forwarded to PSA like they said it would be... So getting secured marriage document from the PSA took until the beginning of September (we arrived in the Philippines first week of August so almost a month) and about 3-4 visits to PSA Main in QC.

After we got the secured document, we did her change of status with PRC so she could get a new PRC ID with her married name (she was a teacher). For that, thankfully, we had a trip planned to Puerto Princessa in the middle of September and her she was able to get an appointment at the PRC there. Otherwise, she would have had to wait maybe a month to 6 weeks for an appointment at the PRC offices in Manila. Finally we were ready to get her passport, which we did end of September. That was pretty easy... DFA at Ali Mall had an appointment slot that we liked, etc. We got it expedited too, so by pretty much by 2nd week of October we were ready to submit.

Unfortunately, I was procrastinating a little with completing the application, etc and it took about 2 more weeks to gather the rest of the documents, photos, etc. The final item we needed, her NBI (police) Clearance Certificate, we tried to get on Oct 31... I'm sure Filipinos know the problem with that... it's a holiday... and the NBI office was only open half day, and we arrived there at like 1:30pm or so. Then when we came back a few days later, she had a "hit" on her name, mainly because of her name change - anyway, it wasn't a problem but it added a few more days to getting her certificate. Finally around the 2nd week of November we completed her application and we felt ready to mail it all in.

IRCC Application

We did and we got AOR on 27 November 2019. Things progressed pretty quickly and normally after that...
  • Dec 23 - Qualified as Sponsor / Received Medical & Biometrics Instructions (same day, separate emails)
  • Jan 2 - Completed Medical @ BGC St. Luke's
  • Jan 3 - Completed Bioemetrics @ VAC Manila
  • Jan 14 - Processing officially begins
Things were moving so well that I felt pretty confident about the situation. Unfortunately the job offer I had was rescinded in January 2020, but since I was confident about our application, I actually started applying for other jobs in Canada. My line was basically, "Were in the Philippines right now, we expect to be back in Canada by May 2020." How wrong was I huh?

First of all, despite our due diligence to make sure we sent in the right documents, they were not satisfied with our proofs of marriage... The documents we sent were our Hong Kong marriage certificate and the Report of Marriage to the Philippine Embassy in Hong Kong on PSA paper (I think this basically serves as our Marriage Certificate in the Philippines)... On March 6, we received a new request for an "Advisory on Marriage" ... This is basically the Opposite of a CENOMAR. In fact you apply for a CENOMAR to get it. While CENOMAR certifies NO marriage, AOM certifies that you ARE married... Anyway... as you can see from the date, this is around the time when the world started panicking about COVID-19.

Knowing that something extraordinary was happening, we decided to do both online and in person, and by 15 March 2020, we had the AOM and sent it in by email. Unfortunately, that was also the day NCR (and Cainta, where we lived) went into Community Quarantine. And so basically we heard.. nothing. Absolutely nothing for nearly 5 months. Well except for a March 16 automated acknowledgement of my email sending the document, followed almost immediately by a mass email explaining that the Embassy was going to operate under "reduced staff".

FINALLY, 24 August 2020, we got another email! Horay! Unfortunately, it was to tell me that I DIDN'T actually attach a document to my March 15 email.*sigh*. I'll tell you what, I've never responded to an email faster in my entire life. Things progressed normally after that, or as normally as things will be Post-COVID I suppose...
  • Sep 23, Status online Changes to Decision Made
  • Oct. 6, Passport Request
  • Oct. 21ish, Passport returned with Visa & COPR / Flights Booked for 11 November 2020
Yes indeed, things moved well. Unfortunately we were missing one big piece of the puzzle... CFO. Despite being born in the Philippines, I am a Foreigner as far as the Philippine government is concerned. And as my wife is leaving the Philippines for the first time on a Permanent Residence Visa as the wife of a foreigner, that of course meant: Guidance and Counseling Certificate and a CFO sticker. Which, since we knew nothing about it, we didn't get. So we couldn't leave on 11 November. Which was especially unfortunate because we lived in Cainta and... Typhoon Ulysses.
So basically it took 11 months for your wife to get PR

Simar007_

Jan 4, 2021
Dont think so, if you get AOR 1, count 14 months and mayb thats the end. Perhaps ircc catch the time and they finish the app in 12 months, like they promised, but, well, waiting seems to be eternal, also i didnt get the aor 1.
I’m from India so i expect they might complete it in 10 - 11 months
So probably by july
Btw when did your file delivered to them ?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi all,
Our package arrived on 8/27 but I still haven't received any updates yet...
I have a question- Does anyone know if I can go get a medical exam first before I get a medical request letter? is it still valid, even though the medical result was issued before the date that they requested?
Feeling pretty anxious and trying to find things that could shorten waiting time for further process..
No, you have to wait for the medical request,

Reactions: chloe_planet