+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****August 2019 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hey, it's me again :)

My Partner (the sponsor) got a new job offer and he is really considering quitting his current job for this new one (would start in January)

- Does he have to use the same link that you posted to let CIC know ?
- In this link application form, the 'applicant' would still be me, right? and he would be the 'Enquirer' ?
- They also mention "After you click "Next", you will have the opportunity to upload your document(s)."
Do you know what documents it would be? does the job offer contract enough? or do we need a letter from his new employer (like the letter we sent in the PR application) ?
- Also, should we let CIC know before he has started his new job? or after?

Thank you in advance for your help ^^
Hey -- congrats on your partner's new job.

Yes, he should notify CIC, and he should be both the Applicant and Enquirer. When I changed my marital status for my Parents/Grandparents sponsorship, the Applicant was me, and the Enquirer was my lawyer (even though the Applicant is my Parents and the Sponsor is me).

Type of sponsorship: Sponsorship -> Sponsorship - Spouse, common-law partner in Canada (if this applies to you)

You can upload his new employment contract or letter of employment confirmation from his new employer. I think either one is fine -- but make sure the salary figure supports the Sponsorship requirement of the number of people in the household.

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hi everyone,

I have decided to do an OWP paper application for my partner a bit late after submitting our PR application already. But, the document checklist to me is pretty broad and not that specific to those who are doing it as part of PR. Can anyone help break down the actual necessary forms we need to submit and what the actual fee is that is to be paid? I have the 3pg document checklist and to me it seems like I need:

1) IMM 5710 - Application to Change Conditions..... etc.
2) Proof of Payment (not sure how much this is)
3) Photocopies of the passport pages

4?) says photograph of current immigration document - and my partner has an IEC visa so I do not know if we need to include this document or not?

5?) And then 2nd page says proof of health insurance covering the extended period - but my partner is on MSP in BC so i don't know if this counts?

How many documents did everyone else submit with their application? Sorry if I am asking a lot, just i know the checklist is very general for all different applicants. I feel these are the only ones relevant to us, common-law sponsorship, but maybe I am missing something.
I think some others on this thread have posted about submitting OWP after submitting PR application (or somewhere else in this forum). Try and look for them. My lawyer strongly advised me to apply for OWP at the same time of the PR application. So glad we did because we only needed to include the form, the checklist, and proof of payment (all the other documents of the PR application act as supporting documents for the OWP already). We got OWP within 2.5 months. Be super careful with the fees. The fees are actually
  • $100 open permit holder fee and
  • $155 work permit fee
Good luck.

Elk-hunter

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Keep my fingers crossed that its our turn for medical requests this week

TheUltimateLurker

Star Member
May 2, 2019
Hello everyone been a while since I posted. Just wallowing in the sadness of a delayed OWP :)

Regarding OHIP, with no PR or OWP yet - but having been in Ontario for over a year, am I eligible to apply, and if so, what paperwork would I need to support it - or is it not yet possible as all I have really is the proof I linked the applications to MyGIC?

Thanks!

futurechecka

Nov 19, 2019
Hey -- congrats on your partner's new job.

Yes, he should notify CIC, and he should be both the Applicant and Enquirer. When I changed my marital status for my Parents/Grandparents sponsorship, the Applicant was me, and the Enquirer was my lawyer (even though the Applicant is my Parents and the Sponsor is me).

Type of sponsorship: Sponsorship -> Sponsorship - Spouse, common-law partner in Canada (if this applies to you)

You can upload his new employment contract or letter of employment confirmation from his new employer. I think either one is fine -- but make sure the salary figure supports the Sponsorship requirement of the number of people in the household.
Thank you so much, you answer is really helpful. You are a life saver.
I always find those "applicant", "sponsor" etc etc terms very confusing.
To be extra safe, we will ask for a signed employment letter once he started working there in January.
Thanks again :)

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hello everyone been a while since I posted. Just wallowing in the sadness of a delayed OWP :)

Regarding OHIP, with no PR or OWP yet - but having been in Ontario for over a year, am I eligible to apply, and if so, what paperwork would I need to support it - or is it not yet possible as all I have really is the proof I linked the applications to MyGIC?

Thanks!
Please see this: https://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/ontario-health-insurance-plan-ohip/who-is-eligible-for-ohip/ and http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx (under Am I eligible for Ontario Health Insurance?)

Usually the easiest way is to wait till you get your OWP. Or go against the system like some did on this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario.56695/#post-2518001

Last edited:

TheUltimateLurker

Star Member
May 2, 2019
Fully understood - thank you for the detailed explanation. Waiting for OWP will continue then, thank you so much!

test1155

Star Member
Jul 6, 2019
i sent application November 1st. but i noticed that in the work permit we forgot to fill the given name. will CIC return our application?

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
i sent application November 1st. but i noticed that in the work permit we forgot to fill the given name. will CIC return our application?
This one wholly depends on the processing agent's mood, unfortunately. I don't think it will affect your PR application, but more than likely it will affect your OWP application, i.e. if they return your OWP application, you have to resubmit the OWP application and longer wait for the OWP.

test1155

Star Member
Jul 6, 2019
This one wholly depends on the processing agent's mood, unfortunately. I don't think it will affect your PR application, but more than likely it will affect your OWP application, i.e. if they return your OWP application, you have to resubmit the OWP application and longer wait for the OWP.
thank you for the response. I wish they won't return due to that missing given name.

TheUltimateLurker

Star Member
May 2, 2019
Make sure you read the latest instructions on how and where to submit your OWP after you've submitted the PR application that's right to your specific situation. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

Does your partner have a passport that doesn't require a visa to enter Canada? If so, you don't need to apply for a visa extension (or if it's e-Visa, renew it online). As you already know, visa/e-Visa allows you to enter the country while Permits allow you to function in Canada (Study/Work) - they are not interchangeable. If you plan on leaving Canada and come back, both must be valid upon your re-entry!
Just to clarify - the visitor visa (temporary resident visa) status expires Jan 29, 2020 on the passport and I am expecting OWP this month or early January as PR is processed in coming months.

Am I correct that getting OWP changes status from Visitor to Worker and that no action is needed to begin working in Canada awaiting PR to finalize?

As in, once OWP is granted the Jan 29, 2020 date is not relevant - and my status is determined by the OWP which for most normal cases will be valid until PR is granted?

-----------

Looks like all the medical requests so far in spreadsheet are for Alberta first!