+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****August 2019 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

bethanyxvx

May 16, 2018
Travel question..I'm a US citizen and have a 7 day trip back to the States coming up this month (I just received my OWP as far as the PR process goes). I enrolled in the Nexus program several years ago to make life easier when visiting my husband here. When coming into Canada I always use my Nexus card to skip the customs line. Am I still alright to enter with my Nexus card throughout the PR process? I'm just wondering since technically now I'm a temporary resident if entering with the Nexus card implies I'm coming in as a visitor or something? Also - do I need to travel with the original OWP for entry purposes at all? TIA!
I am not sure about the Nexus card, but I am also a US citizen and I went back home last year the first time I applied for PR (had to withdraw and now starting over ). You will need your OWP to show customs when crossing back into Canada. Since you are now a temporary resident, you obviously do not have a length of stay to put on the customs form so they will need proof of your status in Canada.

Reactions: jamieheatherr

Ncik

Star Member
Aug 17, 2019
Hi guys,
I am the applicant and my partner is sponsoring me for a permanent residence. She has work so can’t take days off and i want to travel back home to see my family for 40 days. I already have my OWP and TRV which i got through common law sponsership.But is there any rule that i can’t leave the country or that i can’t come back?
Thanks
So couple things; Theres is no rule that you cant leave the country during your application BUT the trip should be short and not months for example because then as someone else said you wouldnt be residing in canada during your application AND even with your work permit re-entry is not guaranteed, which only means they CAN deny you entry and you have to be able to provide insurance etc etc if they ask for it. So all the things you would normally have to provide to be able to enter the country. As PR they pretty much have to let you back into the country if not for really strong reasons.
So long story short, you can (and I had not problems reentering when i had my work and travel permit) but you risk being denied re entry and then depending on how long away your approval is you might risk your whole application

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Thank you for the info! If I'm unable to get to nexus office before I go does that just mean I enter through the normal customs process then ?
You're very welcome! Also, thanks to you, I just went in to check when my Nexus expires and just did my renewal

And yes, normal customs process! However, you are still required to let CBSA know of your legal status change here in Canada, so make the update sooner rather than later. You can just go to the airport a few hours earlier to do it. Otherwise, when you go in months from now, they will ask why did you wait so long.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamieheatherr

TheUltimateLurker

Star Member
May 2, 2019
Finally, after about 1 month of back and forth with tech support. They finally understood that it was not an issue on my end.

We are pleased to inform you that the issue that was preventing you from linking your application to your account has been resolved. Please try again.

Was able to successfully link the OWP application first try! Woo!

(For those keeping track, this is an Aug1 OWP application resubmitted on Oct1, and have been unable to link despite the W##### application number given)

The waiting continues :)

jamieheatherr

Oct 3, 2019
Trois-Rivières, QC
App. Filed.......
20-08-2019
AOR Received.
01-10-2019
You're very welcome! Also, thanks to you, I just went in to check when my Nexus expires and just did my renewal

And yes, normal customs process! However, you are still required to let CBSA know of your legal status change here in Canada, so make the update sooner rather than later. You can just go to the airport a few hours earlier to do it. Otherwise, when you go in months from now, they will ask why did you wait so long.
Happy to help :D I'll get it updated asap then! I leave next week so I'm not sure I'll get through the process before. Wish I thought of it sooner! I love using Nexus to go through.

futurechecka

Nov 19, 2019
Hello Everyone,

First of all, thank you for this great thread. I learned a lot of very interesting things about the process.
I still do have some questions though.

I am the principal applicant and I have received by mail my open work permit last week. Can I use it right away?
Or do I need to go to the Service Canada Center to update my SIN number ? (I had to go twice in the past, first for my working holiday visa and then for my employer specific work permit.

I am currently working for an employer who I couldn't leave before, because of my employer specific work permit.
Now that I have my OWP I would like to leave my job asap and find another one. Would that affect my PR application? would I have to let IRCC know about this?

Thank you very much in advance.

Ncik

Star Member
Aug 17, 2019
Hello Everyone,

First of all, thank you for this great thread. I learned a lot of very interesting things about the process.

I am the principal applicant and I have received by mail my open work permit last week. Can I use it right away?
Or do I need to go to the Service Canada Center to update my SIN number ? (I had to go twice in the past, first for my working holiday visa and then for my employer specific work permit.

I am currently working for an employer who I couldn't leave before, because of my employer specific work permit.
Now that I have my OWP I would like to leave my job asap and find another one. Would that affect my PR application? would I have to let IRCC know about this?

You might have to change your SIN if your old one was a temporary one. If not then you should be good. maybe just give them a call?

And yes the OWP is effective from the date it is issued, so actually before you received it by mail haha and yes you can change your job without a problem and it wont interfer with your PR at all

Reactions: futurechecka

futurechecka

Nov 19, 2019
What a great news!! Thank you Ncik :)
The Service Canada office is really close, I will probably go ask in person on my day off just to make sure.

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hello Everyone,

Hey! As someone mentioned above, your work permit is effective already when you receive it and you can change your job whenever you want. You should take your work permit to Service Canada because anytime there's a change in immigration status, you should update your SIN. Even though the number will still be the same (starts with 9), its expiration date will be different and based on your new work permit expiration. You won't get a permanent SIN (a different number) until you have your PR.

Also, if you live in Ontario, get a letter from your current (or new employer) stating you will be employed full-time permanently or at least 6 months so that you can get your OHIP application in. OHIP card takes a while to be issued, and then a few more months in order to be in effect.

And when you do have a new employer or quit your job, you must notify CIC because it's considered one of the important changes (read the third bullet point) https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx.

It wouldn't impact your application -- just a matter of keeping all your info up-to-date.

Last edited:

futurechecka

Nov 19, 2019
Thanks for all those great info TOAidy. Very useful
I live in Vancouver so I believe I wont need any OHIP application. And I don't think there is something similar here.

I just went to the Service Canada office to update my SIN number.
He was really nice and told me that he wishes me to get my PR soon.

By the way, did anyone receive a request to take the medical exam yet?

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
Thanks for all those great info TOAidy. Very useful
I live in Vancouver so I believe I wont need any OHIP application. And I don't think there is something similar here.

I just went to the Service Canada office to update my SIN number.
He was really nice and told me that he wishes me to get my PR soon.

By the way, did anyone receive a request to take the medical exam yet?
Hey there! No one from August have gotten their medical requests yet. They have only started for July.
Good on you for your SIN! Happy job hunting! :)