+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****August 2019 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

Rozalinda

Dec 30, 2018
Hi there,

I was wondering how long roughly does it take to get your PR card delivered after you get your AOR confirmation? The timeline bar shows the estimated time says 11 month after you receive your AOR. Will it be shorter?
This is my timeline;
APP received : Aug 1
AOR: Sept 2

Thanks!

mohamedbarbary

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hi there,

I was wondering how long roughly does it take to get your PR card delivered after you get your AOR confirmation? The timeline bar shows the estimated time says 11 month after you receive your AOR. Will it be shorter?
This is my timeline;

Thanks!
7 month since application received you will got PR

ToughNuggets

Star Member
Oct 21, 2017
Good news - husband got a job with his OWP :) We do have some questions though. Should we notify CIC that he's obtained employment? How do we do this?

Also, he has some paperwork to fill out, and there's one for a personal tax credit return, where it asks if he's a non-resident - we've tried looking into this, and our understanding is because he is in the process of obtaining permanent residency and has an OWP and significant ties to Canada, isn't a non-resident. Any help you can provide in understanding this is appreciated :)

Elk-hunter

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good news - husband got a job with his OWP :) We do have some questions though. Should we notify CIC that he's obtained employment? How do we do this?

Also, he has some paperwork to fill out, and there's one for a personal tax credit return, where it asks if he's a non-resident - we've tried looking into this, and our understanding is because he is in the process of obtaining permanent residency and has an OWP and significant ties to Canada, isn't a non-resident. Any help you can provide in understanding this is appreciated :)
No need to notify CIC if husband picks up employment on OWP
And He is considered a resident ! Temp resident but Resident.

Reactions: hiwilley

jamieheatherr

Oct 3, 2019
Trois-Rivières, QC
App. Filed.......
20-08-2019
AOR Received.
01-10-2019
Travel question..I'm a US citizen and have a 7 day trip back to the States coming up this month (I just received my OWP as far as the PR process goes). I enrolled in the Nexus program several years ago to make life easier when visiting my husband here. When coming into Canada I always use my Nexus card to skip the customs line. Am I still alright to enter with my Nexus card throughout the PR process? I'm just wondering since technically now I'm a temporary resident if entering with the Nexus card implies I'm coming in as a visitor or something? Also - do I need to travel with the original OWP for entry purposes at all? TIA!

zzaa2323

Jul 29, 2019
Just a couple quick questions! Our application arrived August 15 and on Sept 25 I received an email saying "This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2019/08/15 on behalf of the following member(s):". Is this the AOR that everyone is talking about?

Also, is it normal to not have gotten the OWP yet? Were we required to do something online? He made some kind of online account about a week ago now but we're we supposed to do that earlier? Seems like everyone is getting theirs and anxiety is starting to kick in! Thanks!

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
Just a couple quick questions! Our application arrived August 15 and on Sept 25 I received an email saying "This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2019/08/15 on behalf of the following member(s):". Is this the AOR that everyone is talking about?

Also, is it normal to not have gotten the OWP yet? Were we required to do something online? He made some kind of online account about a week ago now but we're we supposed to do that earlier? Seems like everyone is getting theirs and anxiety is starting to kick in! Thanks!
We applied June 26 and STILL haven't gotten OWP so you're fine.

Neil240

Sep 17, 2019
Hi guys,
I am the applicant and my partner is sponsoring me for a permanent residence. She has work so can’t take days off and i want to travel back home to see my family for 40 days. I already have my OWP and TRV which i got through common law sponsership.But is there any rule that i can’t leave the country or that i can’t come back?
Thanks

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hi guys,
I am the applicant and my partner is sponsoring me for a permanent residence. She has work so can’t take days off and i want to travel back home to see my family for 40 days. I already have my OWP and TRV which i got through common law sponsership.But is there any rule that i can’t leave the country or that i can’t come back?
Thanks
I have an immigration lawyer representing me and my partner, working on our file. I asked the same question because he got valid OWP and TRV.

The problem lies in the type of spousal PR application. Because our application is for in-land sponsorship (instead of outland), she recommends my partner (the applicant) to not leave the country (or not leave for too long); otherwise, your "in-land" application doesn't make sense. Remember, you're only a temporary resident and don't have the same rights of entry as permanent residents and citizens. Once you leave the country, you're "out-land" and could run into more questions with the immigration officer at the border.

The sponsor; however, can leave and do whatever he/she wants.

Same goes for people who have inland spousal PR application in process, just got OWP but don't have TRV. She recommends not to apply for TRV because it contradicts with the inland spousal PR application.

Last edited:
Reactions: mohamedbarbary

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
We applied June 26 and STILL haven't gotten OWP so you're fine.
Did you call CIC? You should have received yours by now! Sometimes the call centre agent can make things happen. Just earlier this year when my spouse was waiting for his study permit extension, and it has exceeded normal timeline for study permit extension, he gave them a call, and they sent an inquiry off that day, and next day, his permit extension was approved right away. Basically his file has just been sitting there -- if we hadn't called, we would have waited for god knows how much longer!

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Travel question..I'm a US citizen and have a 7 day trip back to the States coming up this month (I just received my OWP as far as the PR process goes). I enrolled in the Nexus program several years ago to make life easier when visiting my husband here. When coming into Canada I always use my Nexus card to skip the customs line. Am I still alright to enter with my Nexus card throughout the PR process? I'm just wondering since technically now I'm a temporary resident if entering with the Nexus card implies I'm coming in as a visitor or something? Also - do I need to travel with the original OWP for entry purposes at all? TIA!
Hi -- I'm also a member of Nexus. You are required to update your immigration status with Nexus before you leave the country. This will warrant a trip to the airport Nexus office. And if I were you, I would always bring work permit with me (just fold it in your passport).

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/contact-coordonnees-eng.html

Reactions: jamieheatherr

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
Did you call CIC? You should have received yours by now! Sometimes the call centre agent can make things happen. Just earlier this year when my spouse was waiting for his study permit extension, and it has exceeded normal timeline for study permit extension, he gave them a call, and they sent an inquiry off that day, and next day, his permit extension was approved right away. Basically his file has just been sitting there -- if we hadn't called, we would have waited for god knows how much longer!
Yes we've called many times asking for them to send an inquiry. They finally sent one 2 weeks ago when we called for the 4th time and we still haven't heard anything.

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hi there,

This is my timeline;

Thanks!
The PR card will wholly depend on when you "land" and receive your Confirmation of Permanent Residence document (CoPR). AOR confirmation has nothing to do with it. Current processing time of first/new PR card is 26 days as of November 3, 2019.

For example, you applied for PR on January 1, 2019 while your friend Mary applied for PR on June 1, 2019, but you both got Passport Request and received passport back with the immigrant visa on November 19, 2019. If you do your landing November 20 while Mary does her landing on December 19, you should get your PR card the week of December 16, 2019 and Mary should get her PR card the week of January 21, 2020.

Here's the info from CIC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=054&top=10

jamieheatherr

Oct 3, 2019
Trois-Rivières, QC
App. Filed.......
20-08-2019
AOR Received.
01-10-2019
Hi -- I'm also a member of Nexus. You are required to update your immigration status with Nexus before you leave the country. This will warrant a trip to the airport Nexus office. And if I were you, I would always bring work permit with me (just fold it in your passport).

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/contact-coordonnees-eng.html
Thank you for the info! If I'm unable to get to nexus office before I go does that just mean I enter through the normal customs process then ?