+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Auditor General Slams Citizenship Process

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/05/03/auditor-general-slams-canadian-citizenship-process.html

No mention of insane waiting times, lack of transparency or inconsistent treatment of applications, just you know, a few people who shouldn't have gotten citizenship slipped through, so lets have massive outrage and sensationalistic headlines. Fail.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right but this is Very important news specially CIC will more strict now in the light of Audit General report .

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
johnr said:
And I'm thinking by-passing cbsa by hiking in the woods bordering America to study for my Masters.

No ones the smarter and I get to keep my days in canada for citizenship application.
[/

Get a Remote Area Border Crossing Permit. Totally legal, no need to report to CBSA and no record you were gone. ;D

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
ar_fabrics said:
You are right but this is Very important news specially CIC will more strict now in the light of Audit General report .
Knowing CIC's tardy processing process, I suspect CIC would abuse the Auditor General's report to further delay the processing without actually doing anything to stop the fraudsters.

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
Unfortunately this are the folks that are making life difficult for everyone

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/how-a-b-c-man-pulled-off-one-of-the-most-sophisticated-immigration-frauds-in-canadian-history

I suspect some of the auditor general report might be related to this case

I think the auditor general conclusion about CIC inefficiency is wrong. I think the inefficiency is because they demand too many irrelevant documents for folks applying for citizenship, like school transcript, children transcripts(even transcriot for a child in kindergarten wtf!?), Of course case workers will be overwhelmed with large volume of irrelevant documents

I hope the new immigration minister will revise citizenship application forms and toss out the irrelevant documents to manageable volume.

Maple_Star

Jul 30, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Before we criticize or applaud AG's report, it is important to figure out the objectives of their exercise. I believe it is not geared towards highlighting their performance excellence. Generally, audits are supposed to check if they complied with and delivered as per the set parameters, procedures and policies. Speed of execution is probably not going to be a key item unless application completion cycle was identified as a key priority. Regardless, the AG report has given a general impression to the ordinary Canadians that the applicants are a bunch of conniving liars and schemers who will stop at nothing and are bent on getting past Canadian borders by hook or by crook.

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
I read the report. As I have a scientific background I can see dissociation between the test and the result. If you take a sample of files and find for example the percentage of fraud is 0.007% it should mean that this is the real percentage of fraud. Otherwise your sampling process is wrong if you still think that there is a bigger figure for fraud. What they need to do to create such programs which can easily find for example the repeated addresses of applicants on their computer system. This will help to find fraudulent information easily. Many other measures can be taken if they wanna do. Accusing the whole process by negativity is unfair because the percentage of fraud exists in all system and practically it is impossible to abolish them all but all measures should be taken to expose those fraudulent applicants and they should be dealt accordingly. I would appreciate the report if it talked about the residency questionnaires and the percentage of discovered fraud cases, but it did not. I think they would discover that this system (residency questionnaire) is time ,money and effort consuming with negligible results.

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
surgi said:
I read the report. As I have a scientific background I can see dissociation between the test and the result. If you take a sample of files and find for example the percentage of fraud is 0.007% it should mean that this is the real percentage of fraud. Otherwise your sampling process is wrong if you still think that there is a bigger figure for fraud. What they need to do to create such programs which can easily find for example the repeated addresses of applicants on their computer system. This will help to find fraudulent information easily. Many other measures can be taken if they wanna do. Accusing the whole process by negativity is unfair because the percentage of fraud exists in all system and practically it is impossible to abolish them all but all measures should be taken to expose those fraudulent applicants and they should be dealt accordingly. I would appreciate the report if it talked about the residency questionnaires and the percentage of discovered fraud cases, but it did not. I think they would discover that this system (residency questionnaire) is time ,money and effort consuming with negligible results.
Well, two things are now happening:

- The US & C are actively sharing entry/exit information (since last year after a pilot project) for non-citizen. So Canada can now efficiently track land entry/exit with the US
- They now have access to airline rosters and they can also get exit information directly.

With those two pieces in place and the current and future legislation specifically axed on physical presence, they should be able (for Pete's sake) to know exactly how many days a PR has spent on Canadian soil and automate the calculation process, hence drastically reducing RQs...

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
h3a3j6 said:
Well, two things are now happening:

- The US & C are actively sharing entry/exit information (since last year after a pilot project) for non-citizen. So Canada can now efficiently track land entry/exit with the US
- They now have access to airline rosters and they can also get exit information directly.

With those two pieces in place and the current and future legislation specifically axed on physical presence, they should be able (for Pete's sake) to know exactly how many days a PR has spent on Canadian soil and automate the calculation process, hence drastically reducing RQs...
Except when they get it wrong, but its clear we are moving towards a society where the computer is always right. Good luck trying to prove it isn't, if some error show up in your records. Of course, the pressure will then be on the applicant to adjust their declared absences to fit whatever the computer said--in other words commit fraud.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Maple_Star said:
Regardless, the AG report has given a general impression to the ordinary Canadians that the applicants are a bunch of conniving liars and schemers who will stop at nothing and are bent on getting past Canadian borders by hook or by crook.
Yeah, that's the point. Who is going to tell the narrative from the applicant's perspective? Nobody probably.....

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
links18 said:
Except when they get it wrong, but its clear we are moving towards a society where the computer is always right. Good luck trying to prove it isn't, if some error show up in your records. Of course, the pressure will then be on the applicant to adjust their declared absences to fit whatever the computer said--in other words commit fraud.
I'll be a little more pragmatic on this:

- Software is definitely prone to mistakes, but what would be the percentage? If they keep it very low, then it will undoubtedly accelerate the process for everyone.
- This is only cumbersome for non-citizen, once you are a citizen, this will not matter.
- In any case, I (suggest to and) keep a copy of every boarding pass and every trip I ever made outside Canada. I also made sure that I have my passport stamped entering both the US and C when traveling by car...

Cheers!

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
links18 said:
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/05/03/auditor-general-slams-canadian-citizenship-process.html

No mention of insane waiting times, lack of transparency or inconsistent treatment of applications, just you know, a few people who shouldn't have gotten citizenship slipped through, so lets have massive outrage and sensationalistic headlines. Fail.
If auditor doesn't realise how much applicants are suffering from CIC that means all reports are fixed example PR renewal applications are purposely throwing to secondary review evaluations to reduce PR renewal time.