+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Attempted Soft landing via Detroit Windsor tunnel but denied

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
All, I think I should share my recent experience of attempting soft landing on January 18th, 2021 which was unsuccessful via Detroit Windsor tunnel.
Travelled along with my daughter. COPR expiring in March for myself, spouse and daughter. I used AVR for coming back to US. Could not take my wife along because she has her visa in progress in US so she does not have approved 797 or valid stamping on her passport and this will not allow her to come back to US.
Canadian Officer said at entry that since my COPR is expiring in March, I have ample time and therefore need to come together with my wife as well for PR activation and they sent me back to US.
Entered US via AVR which is quite simple you need to have valid i797 and I94 and previous expired stamping in your passport.

Looks like I should have tried to do soft landing close to my COPR expiry date. However, don’t want our COPR to expire as it will cause unpredictable delays in getting it again so will most likely plan to move permanently before that date.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Only suggestion I have is to avoid Detroit Windsor border when you land next time. The officers in the border aren't super friendly.. just a personal observation. Try landing in Niagara falls .

If your spouse has given biometrics, then she (or all of you) can wait from Canada after landing till her extension is approved and then come back with that i797. Make sure you travel once in 30 days to keep AVR active. Airbnb should work for short term accomodation.

Reactions: pranaam

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
All, I think I should share my recent experience of attempting soft landing on January 18th, 2021 which was unsuccessful via Detroit Windsor tunnel.
Travelled along with my daughter. COPR expiring in March for myself, spouse and daughter. I used AVR for coming back to US. Could not take my wife along because she has her visa in progress in US so she does not have approved 797 or valid stamping on her passport and this will not allow her to come back to US.
Canadian Officer said at entry that since my COPR is expiring in March, I have ample time and therefore need to come together with my wife as well for PR activation and they sent me back to US.
Entered US via AVR which is quite simple you need to have valid i797 and I94 and previous expired stamping in your passport.

Looks like I should have tried to do soft landing close to my COPR expiry date. However, don’t want our COPR to expire as it will cause unpredictable delays in getting it again so will most likely plan to move permanently before that date.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Are you the principal applicant?
Are the officers trying avoid multiple trips for landing purpose to avoid covid exposure?

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
Are you the principal applicant?
Are the officers trying avoid multiple trips for landing purpose to avoid covid exposure?
Principal applicant-yes
Officer trying to avoids multiple trips - Don’t know. They did not mention anything like that

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
Another question I had is:
Did the officer deny soft landing because I (primary applicant) was trying to do soft landing only with my daughter and without my spouse?
The officer could have allowed if I was all by myself, should I try that again?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Another question I had is:
Did the officer deny soft landing because I (primary applicant) was trying to do soft landing only with my daughter and without my spouse?
The officer could have allowed if I was all by myself, should I try that again?
Yes thats possible.
Usually Canada doesnt let the child leave the country without notary from other parent. Hence its much possible that they try to protect kids from US to Canada as well.

Reactions: peacefulpal

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
Isn't the soft-landing not allowed right now?
Completely depends on the officer. Soft landing is not a term used officially. Soft landing terminology has been coined by COPR holders who want to just activate their PR by visiting Canada for a shorter time.

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
Thank you everyone for your responses. Just an update on my case. I tried again along with all my dependents at same POE and I was able to activate my CoPR just few days before the expiration. My experience was same as others have posted in this forum. Reached the border, officers took almost 1 hour to complete the paperwork and the came back to US same day.

Last edited:
Reactions: guca and eept
Aug 17, 2019
Hi Pranaam,

How did your spouse manage to come back? If her visa was in process. I am in a similar boat and I was wondering if it makes sense that my spouse does her landing at a later date

Mar 20, 2021
Hi, I saw your posts and thought to connect with you. Am expecting to receive the COPR by Mar end and it should be active until Oct. But I want to do a soft landing in April through Peace bridge and come back to US on approved i797 and expired H1b visa stamp. I will have my dependents also with me. Do you think that this is a viable option now considering all these lockdowns? Whom do I connect to -CBSS or IRCC - for confirming that soft landing is being allowed and how do I connect with them? Please help, I am really really worried about this situation. FYI - I am trying to do soft landing now as my H1 visa extension will start in Aug and I don’t want to delay until that time. Also how was your AVR experience? Is there a chance for denial at POE by US-CBP?

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
You can try the Soft landing but as I said no agency can confirm that you will be allowed to do so. I just tried because many people did it in the past and it worked out for me as well. I was also ready to move permanently in case it did not work for me.

My AVR experience was smooth, but there are chances of denial at POE as Border officers always have discretion to deny entry even if you can valid visa as per rule.

Hi, I saw your posts and thought to connect with you. Am expecting to receive the COPR by Mar end and it should be active until Oct. But I want to do a soft landing in April through Peace bridge and come back to US on approved i797 and expired H1b visa stamp. I will have my dependents also with me. Do you think that this is a viable option now considering all these lockdowns? Whom do I connect to -CBSS or IRCC - for confirming that soft landing is being allowed and how do I connect with them? Please help, I am really really worried about this situation. FYI - I am trying to do soft landing now as my H1 visa extension will start in Aug and I don’t want to delay until that time. Also how was your AVR experience? Is there a chance for denial at POE by US-CBP?

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
Hello All,

Me and my husband are planning to do soft landing via detroit-windsor border very soon and we have our copr valid until May 19. We are planning to return the same day via u-turn. We both still have valid US visa stamped until september 2021, and my husband also has i797Approval until 2022. We are also taking our baby with us less than 2 years old.
I have few questions, please advise:

1. We are scared that what if the Uturn is not allowed and we are supposed to stay in a hotel?
2. We will take negative covid tests with us and also we are planning to go after our vacccination, do you think vaccination would help us with allowing an u-turn?
3. With our US visa statuses above, will there be any issue when we are coming back?
4. We are planning to go with a rental car from costco, should that be fine?
5. I heard peace bridge is better than windsor border, is it true?

Thanks in advance.

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
1. We are scared that what if the Uturn is not allowed and we are supposed to stay in a hotel?- You should be ready to stay and quarantine in hotel for 14 days in worst case situation.

2. We will take negative covid tests with us and also we are planning to go after our vacccination, do you think vaccination would help us with allowing an u-turn?- No idea how does vaccination and u turn are interrelated.

3. With our US visa statuses above, will there be any issue when we are coming back?- With your case, people have been able to come back to US. However, please remember that even when you have valid visa stamped in your passport, US Border official have the authority to decline your entry into United States. No one can guarantee entry into US even when you have stamped visas.

Whatever car you can take, it does not matter to Canadian officers as long as you are not entering Canada.

Some people may have better experiences elsewhere and it is completely subjective, but I personally believe that rules are same at any border entry point.

All the best.

Hello All,

Me and my husband are planning to do soft landing via detroit-windsor border very soon and we have our copr valid until May 19. We are planning to return the same day via u-turn. We both still have valid US visa stamped until september 2021, and my husband also has i797Approval until 2022. We are also taking our baby with us less than 2 years old.
I have few questions, please advise:

1. We are scared that what if the Uturn is not allowed and we are supposed to stay in a hotel?
2. We will take negative covid tests with us and also we are planning to go after our vacccination, do you think vaccination would help us with allowing an u-turn?
3. With our US visa statuses above, will there be any issue when we are coming back?

Thanks in advance.