+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are visa services being offered to Canadian citizens who are already in India?

jaskaran90

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
My wife & I traveled last night to India…will share about her as I have a Canadian passport with evisa, but she used her Indian passport to travel despite being a Canadian citizen.

We had a multi-city multi-layover trip just to spend time in other country’s on our way to India. She has a US & Schengen visa on her passport. We traveled Toronto to New York for a night, then New York to Italy for a week, then Italy to Delhi and arrived this morning. She used her Indian passport through & through and no questions were asked about her Canadian status in Canada, in US or in India, and she went through immigration in Delhi without any issues…

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
My wife & I traveled last night to India…will share about her as I have a Canadian passport with evisa, but she used her Indian passport to travel despite being a Canadian citizen.

We had a multi-city multi-layover trip just to spend time in other country’s on our way to India. She has a US & Schengen visa on her passport. We traveled Toronto to New York for a night, then New York to Italy for a week, then Italy to Delhi and arrived this morning. She used her Indian passport through & through and no questions were asked about her Canadian status in Canada, in US or in India, and she went through immigration in Delhi without any issues…
So one person went and joined the foreigner queue at the immigration and the other at the Indian nationals queue at IGI, Delhi ?

reminds me of this epic scene from Sholay

Last edited:

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019

so you plan on surrendering Indian passport and take surrender certificate in India?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Not sure yet … our return is back to the US where we will be spending a week.
Could be a possibility, but if immigration in India asks your wife her status in Canada and ask her to provide the PR card/Canadian visa etc (since she will be traveling back on the Indian passport) even when your flight from India is to the US

vivi9696

Oct 26, 2020
It’s Entry visa (X-1)

Also I think the fees for the visa depends on the duration. One of my friends had applied for 1 year and she paid 7000 as fees
Thanks Nivan! What is your return date? I am curious to know how it goes if we don't have an exit permit and just X-1 visa. Also, for X1, its not something that we can apply without surrendering Indian passport, right? I was thinking if I can apply before my trip.

Also, sorry if you already answered this but did you travel with both the passports (Indian and Canadian)? Or are you still waiting for your Canadian passport in India?

I am reading somewhere that 3 months grace period is only valid if you haven't been issued a Canadian passport yet. (Valid if you have citizenship certificate but not the passport)

Last edited:

jaskaran90

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Could be a possibility, but if immigration in India asks your wife her status in Canada and ask her to provide the PR card/Canadian visa etc (since she will be traveling back on the Indian passport) even when your flight from India is to the US
Yeah they could ask…so still thinking about it.

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
@nivaan5 Hey I have finally reached India as well using my Indian passport thanks for sharing all the info, did you find out if entry visa is sufficient or do we need exit permit as well?

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
@nivaan5 Hey I have finally reached India as well using my Indian passport thanks for sharing all the info, did you find out if entry visa is sufficient or do we need exit permit as well?
Glad to hear that. I hope everything went smooth for you as well.
As usual I've tried reaching someone at FRRO last entire week. Was not able to. However I have a friend who had got her entry visa in India and RC/RP back in Feb or March and recently returned to Canada. She was told by FRRO that she would not need an Exit permit and she was not asked for one at immigration, India. I will let you know if I get in touch with them

Reactions: abbas.pasha

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Another update. Two days later after I got my visa, FRRO also issued me a Registration certificate for Foreigners/ Residential Permit (RC/RP). I did not have to apply for it separately or pay for it separately.

Reactions: abbas.pasha

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Hello everyone.
I contacted FRRO helpline to check about the duration of Visa. I was told that entry visa is issued only up to 1 year. If you need for more duration then apply for extension later or apply for OCI. I also checked whether I would need an exit permit if I need to travel internationally. So they told me that I have been issued a multiple entry visa for 1 year. I will not need an exit permit as long as the visa is valid. I will have to apply for exit permit only if the visa has expired and if I need to exit India. They did not know in how much time we must exit India once exit permit is issued.
About OCI, I can only apply for OCI only after 6 months.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello everyone.
I contacted FRRO helpline to check about the duration of Visa. I was told that entry visa is issued only up to 1 year. If you need for more duration then apply for extension later or apply for OCI. I also checked whether I would need an exit permit if I need to travel internationally. So they told me that I have been issued a multiple entry visa for 1 year. I will not need an exit permit as long as the visa is valid. I will have to apply for exit permit only if the visa has expired and if I need to exit India. They did not know in how much time we must exit India once exit permit is issued.
About OCI, I can only apply for OCI only after 6 months.
Great share at least for folks who are looking to do their process in India

After Neil Armstrong it is your name which will make the headlines :p
That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: nivaan5