+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are visa services being offered to Canadian citizens who are already in India?

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
Hello all
An update to the entry visa process. I submitted the document with details of my Voter id, Aadhar and Driver's License. Later I was asked to surrender the voter id and submit an acknowledgement of the same and they also asked to submit details of ration card if I have one. I was able to surrender the voter id (delete name from electoral roll) online and upload the acknowledgement. I don't have a ration card, so submitted a letter stating the same.

Also, Finally I was able to reach an agent at FRRO today. They said for both entry visa and exit permit, once all the required documents are provided it would take about 1-2 days. If they require additional documents they will send a request on the portal and that will delay processing.

[edit: I deleted my name from the electoral roll online on the Election Commission of India website]
Oh thats good news I would say, did the agent told you about getting the exit permit seperately or with entry visa you will get it as I know while applying you have a check box for both. Also, for exit permit do you know how many days they give us to leave once approved just from the timelines perspective.

rmp0930

Star Member
Jul 24, 2023
Hi there
I flew directly to Delhi. So I did not have a lay over in any other country. I was not asked about my status in Canada anywhere.
frrodli@nic.in is the email address of Delhi FRRO where I contacted.
@nivaan5 Would you be able to share the email reply you got from FRRO Delhi just incase it might help me. I did tried to sent email to frro offices but got no luck to get their reply. I want to just gather proofs incase if I am stopped anywhere in the airport as I also will be exiting Dubai for layover. It would be a great help if you can forward the Delhi FRRO reply email to my email id: riddhim910@gmail.com . Thanks in advance.

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
@nivaan5 Would you be able to share the email reply you got from FRRO Delhi just incase it might help me. I did tried to sent email to frro offices but got no luck to get their reply. I want to just gather proofs incase if I am stopped anywhere in the airport as I also will be exiting Dubai for layover. It would be a great help if you can forward the Delhi FRRO reply email to my email id: riddhim910@gmail.com . Thanks in advance.
DEEPAK YADAV frrodli@nic.in via nic.in
Tue, Oct 3, 3:44 AM
Sir/Madam,

01. As per Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) guidelines a grace period of three months (90 days) is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on Indian passport. For further clarification and fresh guidelines if any, in this regard you are advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

Regarding surrendering of passport, foreign national is advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

02. Further, as far as departure from India is concerned, any Indian acquires nationality/passport of another country then he/she has to obtain "Exit Permit / Visa" from the FRRO/FRO through online application at https://indianfrro.gov.in. Further, if "Exit Permit" is issued, the foreign national must depart within the validity of the Exit Permit.

Note: Grant/denial of Exit Permit/ Visa related services is subject to submission of surrender certificate of Indian Passport, Indian voter identity card (if issued by the ECI), etc. as well as usual checks and verification.

03. A foreign national is not allowed to stay without a valid visa in the country and indulge in activity other than for which visa has been issued. Violators of visa rules will be prosecuted according to the Law of land. Hence, every foreign national is advised abide by the Law of the land and instructions / guidelines endorsed on the Indian Visa and adhere the same.

Regards,
Team Support
for FRRO, Delhi

Reactions: Cannnada

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
AFRRO REG KOL afrroreg.boi-kol@gov.in via gov.in
Tue, Oct 10, 2:35 AM

At the time of applying exit permit in place of Visa you can upload N/A or a handwritten letter explaining the situation. For processing the application of exit permit it will take 10/15 days. If you want to stay in India after surrendering Indian Passport you have to apply for new visa and type of Visa would be X1.

AFRRO / Registration
FRRO, Kolkata

Reactions: rmp0930

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Hello all
An update to the entry visa process. I submitted the document with details of my Voter id, Aadhar and Driver's License. Later I was asked to surrender the voter id and submit an acknowledgement of the same and they also asked to submit details of ration card if I have one. I was able to surrender the voter id (delete name from electoral roll) online and upload the acknowledgement. I don't have a ration card, so submitted a letter stating the same.

Also, Finally I was able to reach an agent at FRRO today. They said for both entry visa and exit permit, once all the required documents are provided it would take about 1-2 days. If they require additional documents they will send a request on the portal and that will delay processing.

[edit: I deleted my name from the electoral roll online on the Election Commission of India website]
Thank you so much @nivaan5

rmp0930

Star Member
Jul 24, 2023
Sir/Madam,

01. As per Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) guidelines a grace period of three months (90 days) is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on Indian passport. For further clarification and fresh guidelines if any, in this regard you are advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

Regarding surrendering of passport, foreign national is advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

02. Further, as far as departure from India is concerned, any Indian acquires nationality/passport of another country then he/she has to obtain "Exit Permit / Visa" from the FRRO/FRO through online application at https://indianfrro.gov.in. Further, if "Exit Permit" is issued, the foreign national must depart within the validity of the Exit Permit.

Note: Grant/denial of Exit Permit/ Visa related services is subject to submission of surrender certificate of Indian Passport, Indian voter identity card (if issued by the ECI), etc. as well as usual checks and verification.

03. A foreign national is not allowed to stay without a valid visa in the country and indulge in activity other than for which visa has been issued. Violators of visa rules will be prosecuted according to the Law of land. Hence, every foreign national is advised abide by the Law of the land and instructions / guidelines endorsed on the Indian Visa and adhere the same.

Regards,
Team Support
for FRRO, Delhi
@walter_white Tysm for attaching the email context here. This is helpful. However if possible would you be able to please forward me the email to my email id: riddhim910@gmail.com so that I can atleast show it to them incase if required. You can remove your personal details if you wish to. Thank you in advance.

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Sir/Madam,

Regards,
Team Support
for FRRO, Delhi
@walter_white, This is the email answers many questions. Thanks for sharing it.

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Finally..
Yesterday I had submitted required documents. I submitted a letter stating that I don't have a ration card in my name but my name was mentioned in my parents ration card which was issued a long time ago. They asked me to get the name deleted and submit a proof, which I submitted today. Soon after, I got a payment request for fees of Rs. 8640. My visa was granted and I received a soft-copy of it in less than 2 hours of payment.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finally..
Yesterday I had submitted required documents. I submitted a letter stating that I don't have a ration card in my name but my name was mentioned in my parents ration card which was issued a long time ago. They asked me to get the name deleted and submit a proof, which I submitted today. Soon after, I got a payment request for fees of Rs. 8640. My visa was granted and I received a soft-copy of it in less than 2 hours of payment.
Is there an end date before which you have to depart from India?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Finally..
Congratulations and thanks for sharing the details with everyone

Reactions: nivaan5

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
Finally..
Congratulations man!!
How did you get your name deleted from electrol list and ration card, can we do that online? I tried looking but the website didn't open.
Also, did they mention anything about getting exit permit as well?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Congratulations man!!
How did you get your name deleted from electrol list and ration card, can we do that online? I tried looking but the website didn't open.
Also, did they mention anything about getting exit permit as well?
Many of the GOI websites only works from India or with India specific VPN.

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Oh thats good news I would say, did the agent told you about getting the exit permit seperately or with entry visa you will get it as I know while applying you have a check box for both. Also, for exit permit do you know how many days they give us to leave once approved just from the timelines perspective.
Sorry missed you post. I’m not sure about exit permit. I also tried to ask what documents are required to apply for exit permit and how many days it is valid for. But the agent I spoke to did not know about it. He transferred me to someone else but no one answered the call.