+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are visa services being offered to Canadian citizens who are already in India?

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
Hello everyone.
I contacted FRRO helpline to check about the duration of Visa. I was told that entry visa is issued only up to 1 year. If you need for more duration then apply for extension later or apply for OCI. I also checked whether I would need an exit permit if I need to travel internationally. So they told me that I have been issued a multiple entry visa for 1 year. I will not need an exit permit as long as the visa is valid. I will have to apply for exit permit only if the visa has expired and if I need to exit India. They did not know in how much time we must exit India once exit permit is issued.
About OCI, I can only apply for OCI only after 6 months.
Nivaan, Thank you for taking the time and replying to everyone so patiently, out of all the threads you have been super helpful always.

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
Happy to help :)
I am actually filling up my passport surrender application and in present address details mine has Canadian address but there is no option to select Canadian province, did you encounter the same?

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
I am actually filling up my passport surrender application and in present address details mine has Canadian address but there is no option to select Canadian province, did you encounter the same?
Since I have moved to India I added my Indian address. The problem I encountered was it allows only limited characters and you know Indian addresses can be very long!

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
Since I have moved to India I added my Indian address. The problem I encountered was it allows only limited characters and you know Indian addresses can be very long!
Oh yeah I can totally understand, I will probably add my Canadian address and still fill up Indian district, hopefully they will understand.

VARGHZGEOR

Nov 12, 2023
Hi,

I am having my oath of Nov16th and travel planned for Dec 14th only window i have is to apply for Canadian Passport and travel to India, going there surrender passport in passport office, and apply FRRO online- Travelling for 21 days including all holiday until Jan 6th- Even if something goes according to plan, Can i still use Canadian Passport to exit India.

Reading through all the comments this is what i understood.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi,

I am having my oath of Nov16th and travel planned for Dec 14th only window i have is to apply for Canadian Passport and travel to India, going there surrender passport in passport office, and apply FRRO online- Travelling for 21 days including all holiday until Jan 6th- Even if something goes according to plan, Can i still use Canadian Passport to exit India.

Reading through all the comments this is what i understood.
If you get exit permit you can. But what if it takes time to come? Will you be able to extend your stay in India?

VARGHZGEOR

Nov 12, 2023
If you get exit permit you can. But what if it takes time to come? Will you be able to extend your stay in India?
Why exit permit, some hasnt even surrendered indian passport still travelled out with canadian passport, atleast i want to surrender passport.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
also if FRRO approves my Visa its has 1 year vaidity, im choosing that option
Yes that will work too but you only have 21 days to get thing done. You should already know things sometime takes time in India plus the additional holidays in that month.

Last edited:

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
also if FRRO approves my Visa its has 1 year vaidity, im choosing that option
If you get visa approved, you don't need exit permit you can stay until validity of visa and use Canadian passport to exit. But to obtain visa you need to surrender Indian passport, Election card and ration card like @nivaan5 mentioned. You are ill informed if you have heard people have travelled using Indian passport and returned using Canadian passport without surrendering Indian passport.

VARGHZGEOR

Nov 12, 2023
If you get visa approved, you don't need exit permit you can stay until validity of visa and use Canadian passport to exit. But to obtain visa you need to surrender Indian passport, Election card and ration card like @nivaan5 mentioned. You are ill informed if you have heard people have travelled using Indian passport and returned using Canadian passport without surrendering Indian passport.
I wouldnt count on that information but scenarios are different for everyone an based on officers, I dnt think indian immigration officer dealing with a Canadian passport can refuse his request to exit country